SRAM shifters

beanstalk
beanstalk Posts: 143
edited January 2018 in Workshop
There were never any 10speed down tube shifters from SRAM, weren't there or did I miss something?
Is it possible to mount SRAM bar end shifters on the down tube?
Just a thought...

Comments

• dgmoose
    dgmoose Posts: 16
    In friction mode, any brand of down tube shifters will work with any brand of cable actuated derailleurs.

If you have cablestop bosses on your down tube or a round cross-section down tube then it is not difficult to make mount adapters for the SRAM barend shifters (hint: remove the plug part of the shifters).
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Since the preference for SRAM or others is usually driven by the lever shape or operation, if you are not using the combined brake/shift lever then why insist on using a SRAM mech?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Me-109 wrote:
    Since the preference for SRAM or others is usually driven by the lever shape or operation, if you are not using the combined brake/shift lever then why insist on using a SRAM mech?

Maybe because that’s what he has or he prefers the look or it matches everything else on his bike or he just wants to.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Me-109 wrote:

Maybe because that’s what he has or he prefers the look or it matches everything else on his bike or he just wants to.
    Instead of you guessing why not let the OP answer? That way subsequent responses can address the issue better.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    The issue has been answered.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • beanstalk
    beanstalk Posts: 143
    So, current set-up is Shimano 5700 front and rear derailleur with Dura Ace 10speed downtube shifters, works flawless in every way.
    So why the Sram rear derailleur ?
    I is because of look/appearance and because of "I want to know if it works".
    I also like the somewhat higher spring tension of Sram rear derailleurs and more so the cable guide that leads the cable always straight out of the cable stop no matter what gear is on.
    With Shimano the sharp bend out of the cable stop at low or high gears looks awkward.
  • dgmoose
    dgmoose Posts: 16
    In that case, there's nothing stopping you switching to SRAM, try it and report back with lots of pictures.

You might also like to try the DA downtube shifter with Shimano 9 speed shadow MTB rear derailleurs for the slimmer profile and straighter cable routing.