Corsica Bike hire and tips

andydr2wheels
andydr2wheels Posts: 24
edited January 2018 in Road general
Hi

I'm planning to squeeze in a trip to Corsica this year in late June. Don't know it well & about to do some research.
Won't be able to bring my bike so any tips on recommended bike hire welcome, good spots to stay and routes to ride all welcome. Not travelling alone so need to balance wheel-time w R&R (chilling, eating, walking).
Thanks in advance and HNY to BR & forumistas!

Comments

• Bike hire see on my site https://tourdriving.wordpress.com/france/ find photo of a bike then down to islands look for Corsica there are also a link for website of Corsica
    https://tourdriving.wordpress.com bike hire and travel links, in 47 countries http://ukbikerentals.com UK Bike & Motorcycle hire in Counties after ABC
  • jewbs
    jewbs Posts: 139
    I've been to corsica a few times the last few years and love it there, some of the best cycling i've done. We stay at the Mark Warner resort south of Bastia on the west coast. They have bikes free to use or better bikes that you have to pay to use. The mountain and area next to the resort is fantastic cycling, also good for walking. Lots of different routes or roads to do without going too far from base. Great climbs and even better descents. Some of the roads are not the best surface wise but they are relaying them and are then great to ride. You have to watch out for cows , wild pigs/ boars and big herds of goats but normally not a problem. We are planning on going end of june and i can't wait.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    jewbs wrote:
    I've been to corsica a few times the last few years and love it there, some of the best cycling i've done. We stay at the Mark Warner resort south of Bastia on the west coast. They have bikes free to use or better bikes that you have to pay to use. The mountain and area next to the resort is fantastic cycling, also good for walking. Lots of different routes or roads to do without going too far from base. Great climbs and even better descents. Some of the roads are not the best surface wise but they are relaying them and are then great to ride. You have to watch out for cows , wild pigs/ boars and big herds of goats but normally not a problem. We are planning on going end of june and i can't wait.

We did the same a couple of years ago... very enjoyable. SWMBO did her pilates and I disappeared on the bike.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • jewbs
    jewbs Posts: 139
    Dabber wrote:
    jewbs wrote:

We did the same a couple of years ago... very enjoyable. SWMBO did her pilates and I disappeared on the bike.

Yeah its a great place, cycle in the morning, back in time for lunch then sail with the other half in the afternoon or visa versa. I found out social tennis is no good for bikers, tight calfs didn't like it!!
  • I used these guys when I was in Corsica, it was a nice friendly shop.

http://www.insulabike.com/

Corsica was fantastic, looking to go back. I only did a couple of routes but the mountain one I did was fantastic, beach to mountain top in an hour or so. We stayed in Porto Vechio which was a nice town.

https://www.strava.com/activities/624328853
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    One other option is to hire a bike box and take your own bike. But I don't know at what point it financially breaks even? Especially if you have to pay the airline a sports baggage fee and the cost of the bike box? However when I've used Jet2 they had a bike box allowance of over 30kg so you can fit quite a lot of cycling clothing and accessories into box. British Airways to Geneva, also had a good allowance.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • Thanks for route and hire suggestions. Also found this blogpage with plenty of useful info:
    www.corsicacyclist.com/
    Ideally I would have been taking my own bike, but likely I'll be travelling on from a work trip which would rule that out.
  • Jerry185
    Jerry185 Posts: 143
    Went in 2016 through Hooked on Cycling - Self guided tour for six days around the north. 60 miles a day and bags transported onto the next hotel. Nearly went head first into the back of a cow down one hill; interesting.
    Tips: bike repair shops are few - think another post may cover this.
    Do not ever get a taxi. 20 minute ride is about €60 and two internet quotes for Bastia to Porto Vecchio (c2 hours) = €1200.
    If you're near Porto vecchio, try the Hospital climb (l'ospedale on strava) . Great climb with a terraced bar at the top.
    And be careful in Corte - think Royston Vasey.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    Jerry185 wrote:
    Went in 2016 through Hooked on Cycling - Self guided tour for six days around the north. 60 miles a day and bags transported onto the next hotel. Nearly went head first into the back of a cow down one hill; interesting.
    Tips: bike repair shops are few - think another post may cover this.
    Do not ever get a taxi. 20 minute ride is about €60 and two internet quotes for Bastia to Porto Vecchio (c2 hours) = €1200.
    If you're near Porto vecchio, try the Hospital climb (l'ospedale on strava) . Great climb with a terraced bar at the top.
    And be careful in Corte - think Royston Vasey.

The Ospedale climb was used in a pro race (criterium International I think) a few years ago. Seem to remember Froome and Porte riding away up there.

If you carry on from there the roads are stunning up through Zonza and to Bavella.

We really enjoyed Corte. Proper mountain town. Great couple of meals at the Museu restaurant.