MTB and Road shifters ?

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited January 2018 in Cyclocross
Note sure if this is the right place to post but CX seems to be more appropriate for 1x questions.

I recently converted my steel road bike to run 1x9 - The front mech (band on type) was stopping me running anything bigger than 28c but with the front mech removed I can run 35c tyres which I find so much better for the dodgy country lanes around my house.

I have Shimano Sora R3000 (latest version) with a 11-32 casette

Anyway all is good however I only have the choice of 2 chain rings either a 50t or a 34t and due to the 110BCD 4 bolt crank I have limited choices for other options (unless I spend around £70 for a wolf tooth ring which I don't really want to do).

The 50t is fine for most of my rides but there are a few nice rides that I want to do that take on some uphil gravel sections and I simply do not have the legs to get up them on 50x32 and walking would take too long! The 34x32 setup obviously works fine but I then find I spin out on descents or some of the longer flat sections.

Anyway one thought I had was to use some 2nd hand MTB bits I have namely a 9 speed Deore rear mech and then swap out the 32t sprocket with a 36t sprocket - my cassette has individual sprockets so this is easy to do and a 36t sproket from Miche is only £6, The whole job including a new cable should cost me less than a tenner.

My question is would a 9 speed Shimano Deore rear mech (either medium or long cage) work with a Shimano R3000 9 speed STI lever ?

Ta.

Comments

• mr_eddy
    Just to clarify the 36t would replace the 32t as a bail out gear the rest of the cassette would be the normal ratios so it would be 11,12,14,15,18,21,24,28,36 (instead of 32)
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Yes it should work as most Shimano 9 speed stuff is cross compatible (10 and 11 MTB/road isn't).
    Could also go for say a 40t ring on the front and sticking with 11-32 rear.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    trek_dan wrote:
    Could also go for say a 40t ring on the front and sticking with 11-32 rear.
    I was thinking this, not sure if you can get one to fit but a narrow/wide chain ring makes a dropped chain less likely.
  • mr_eddy
    Problem is I don't want to spend lots of cash on a Wolf Tooth 40t chainring. The only chain rings that come in 110BCD 4 Bolt are £££, Lots of cheap 5 bolt or 4 bolt 104 but that is no good for me. Bigger chain ring ideally narrow / wide would be ideal but again just so friggin expensive!!

I don't want to spend more than about £20
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    mr_eddy wrote:
    Problem is I don't want to spend lots of cash on a Wolf Tooth 40t chainring. The only chain rings that come in 110BCD 4 Bolt are £££, Lots of cheap 5 bolt or 4 bolt 104 but that is no good for me. Bigger chain ring ideally narrow / wide would be ideal but again just so friggin expensive!!

I don't want to spend more than about £20

Superstar Components Raptor 110BCD is £30 8)
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    trek_dan wrote:
    Superstar Components Raptor 110BCD is £30 8)

So 50% over budget then. :mrgreen:
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • mr_eddy
    Thanks for the input - Just hit gold tho with SJS cyles - They have a few middle rings from the Sora triple chainsets. These come in the required 110BCD 4 bolt pattern and have 39t , Not then 40t or 42t I was after but way better than 34t and with shipping came in at £17.50!!

Shame I could not get a cheap narrow/wide - The superstar stuff looks decent but out of stock in 40t. Only had 1 dropped chain on the current 34t setup and that was take from a standard chainset so the 39t should be fine.

According the the gear inc calc website a 39x11 would give me a 97" gear or around 25mph at a cadence of around 85rpm so this would be ideal - Still possible to spin out on long descents but I reckon I would reach for the brakes and chicken out before my legs spin out too much!

Thanks for the advice
  • I am running a similar system with Sora 9 speed and have a 12 - 32 cassette on the back with a 38 narrow wide chainring from superstar on which I find gives a good range of gears.I have never lost the chain with this set up so can heartily recommend it!