3 Series Saloon

Snowblind
Snowblind Posts: 75
edited January 2018 in Road general
Hi all,

Can anyone with a 3 series saloon (E9x variant) tell me whether a road bike will fit into the boot with the seats folded down? I am concerned that a bike will not go in end-ways through the narrow boot lid, but don't know anyone with one to try it out.

I'll go for a tourer model if the fit is a problem (although, there appear to be fewer around on the used market).

Thanks.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    edited December 2017
    When I had a saloon (not a 3 series but I'd guess comparable) with foldable rear seats I found it easier to put the bike in rear wheel first. No problem.
    Edit:- Front wheel off.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Not a problem, but find something with a towbar if you can just for convience
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    My friend used to fit his bike in a cilo...sure you'll be fine
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I have the tourer because it is so easy to put a bike in without taking the wheel(s) off.
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    The saloon car is one of the wonders of modern packaging. But not in a good way.

I'd go with the estate. Not just because the bike will fit, but for all those other jobs you need to get done. Bar the odd creak, it will feel no different to drive at legal speeds - and well above them as one occasionally sees a BMW being driven.

If putting a bicycle in a car is on your list, I'd counsel the buying of a car with room for a bicycle and other stuff.... a hatch or an estate. In the case of the E90, that means estate.
  • Get a bike bag. £40 B&W bike sack type if you can. Bike can go on the back seat quite easily. I’ve managed to get 2 bikes on the back seat and 1 on the floor just behind drivers seat in an Insignia. Transmission tunnel shouldn’t make a difference on a bmw.

And you still retain the boot space
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I have a E90 (saloon) with fold down seats and can confirm that a road bike will fit in the boot with the seats folded.
    You will need to take the front wheel off though as the bars will need to be spin 90 degrees to get them through the entrance, so I'd also put it in rear wheel first.
    You can even put the 40 split of the seat back up with a bike in it.
  • Thanks for the replies all - very helpful!
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    I've an E90 without folding seats, I'd assumed on buying it that folding seats were the norm, like a heater and windscreen wipers, but no, they're an optional extra!!

Anyway, I can get my 62cm Emonda on the back seat after taking both wheels off.
  • Elfed
    Elfed wrote:
    I've an E90 without folding seats, I'd assumed on buying it that folding seats were the norm, like a heater and windscreen wipers, but no, they're an optional extra!!

It won't go in the boot unless I take off the seat mast and both wheels.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Elfed wrote:
    Elfed wrote:

I've got the coupe version. No problem with the front wheel off. Bars don't have to be twisted. The fact that I can get a bike in it is one of the reasons I hang on to the car, because otherwise its a lemon.
  • Elfed
    Elfed wrote:
    Elfed wrote:

I've got the coupe version. No problem with the front wheel off. Bars don't have to be twisted. The fact that I can get a bike in it is one of the reasons I hang on to the car, because otherwise its a lemon.

That's a lovely car and still selling for big money.
  • Mapaputsi
    Mapaputsi Posts: 104
    Go for the 3 series touring, plenty of space for a road bike (with both wheels on!)
    I recently upgraded (if you can call it that) to a Mondeo Estate. Now that is a huge boot
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Another vote for the 3 series touring. I have a 2.0 D Efficient Dynamics now 4 years old with 108K miles on the clock. It drives as good as new, goes at licence losing speed when you put your foot down and road tax is £30. I do a regular trip from Manchester to Birmingham and if I am gentle with the accelerator it does 65 to 70 mpg.The "estate" body does not detract from the driving pleasure at all.
    If you need MPV size cargo capacity it is not for you but you can put a bike in the back easily. I do not know about cost but I can not see any other reason for buying a saloon.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    edited January 2018
    lesfirth wrote:
    Another vote for the 3 series touring. I have a 2.0 D Efficient Dynamics now 4 years old with 108K miles on the clock. It drives as good as new, goes at licence losing speed when you put your foot down and road tax is £30. I do a regular trip from Manchester to Birmingham and if I am gentle with the accelerator it does 65 to 70 mpg.The "estate" body does not detract from the driving pleasure at all.
    If you need MPV size cargo capacity it is not for you but you can put a bike in the back easily. I do not know about cost but I can not see any other reason for buying a saloon.
    I have a 320d SE Touring* (52 plate with 112K miles). Drives like a new car. Easily takes my double bass, or any one of my bikes with wheels on. It may have lost a few horses since it was first purchased, but it is a lot of car for the little amount of money it cost me and dead economical. Road tax £16 per month.

*[Edit: Purchased in Aug 2012 with 93K miles.]
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    If you think a 320d is quick, you'd have a heart attack in my 335i :lol:
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Dannbodge wrote:
    If you think a 320d is quick, you'd have a heart attack in my 335i :lol:

I have had enough "heart attacks" and a couple of near death experiences in cars. With cameras everywhere my licence is too valuable to seek adrenaline in cars on public roads these days.You can not drive a 320 at anything like its limit, never mind a 335.However I still get to the bottom of some descents on my bike and think " that was a bit silly.....Wow". :D
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    I have a 320d Touring and my bike fits easily into the boot, but more often than not I throw it into a bike bag on the back seat.

In the M sport version with the 184 bhp engine it's plenty quick and entertaining enough in today's camera strewn world.

However I do quite fancy a 330d. Don't worry though Dan, I reckon my heart may be up for it as I also have a MB 500 SL. :wink:
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    If it's any help my e34 530i 5 series can take my 29er without wheels in the boot.

The 3 series boot will be too small unless you frame is small. The 5 series boot should be big enough. I can even put my bike box in the boot.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.