Bottom Bracket woes

Exumanewbie
Exumanewbie Posts: 48
edited January 2018 in Workshop
I have a Cannondale R700 with an older model Dura Ace Crankset. My bike shop recently replaced my Shimano MT-800 bottom bracket for an Origin 8 21433 'Outboard Bottom Bracket" After less than 2 months it has started to creak horribly (reason why i replaced the MT-800). I've been doing some research and apparently i cant put something like a bb30 on the bike. So what other high quality BB can I use where i wont have to change my crankset? I have a long year or racing/ training and i cant afford to be off the bike for long periods of time due to 'simple' maintenance issues. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• For the record i live in the Caribbean so its not an issue of weather conditions reducing the lifespan of my bb.
    Edit: Ive been doing some more scouring and it appears that i should be able to use a bb86/92. Is using this press fit version better than using the external version?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    R700 appears to be around 2006 vintage? Do you know what model of D-A crankset you have? Is it a Hollowtech type with the spindle attached to the drive side spider and the left crank held on by 2 pinch bolts?

Your MT800 appears to have been a threaded outboard XT level MTB bottom bracket. (you can still use them on road bikes with a shorter central plastic tube) If so that does imply a Hollowtech crank.

f you have a threaded bottom bracket shell you cannot use press-fit types.

Look for standard BS threaded road BBs eg SM-BBR60 (Ultegra / 105) SM-BB9000 (Dura-Ace)
  • keef66 wrote:
    R700 appears to be around 2006 vintage? Do you know what model of D-A crankset you have? Is it a Hollowtech type with the spindle attached to the drive side spider and the left crank held on by 2 pinch bolts?

Your MT800 appears to have been a threaded outboard XT level MTB bottom bracket. (you can still use them on road bikes with a shorter central plastic tube) If so that does imply a Hollowtech crank.

f you have a threaded bottom bracket shell you cannot use press-fit types.

Look for standard BS threaded road BBs eg SM-BBR60 (Ultegra / 105) SM-BB9000 (Dura-Ace)

Yes it is a Hollowtech crank. I was looking at the bb9000 but i wasnt sure if it was compatible.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yup, will work fine, HT2 is all the same fitment in that respect. You can use an MTB one with narrow road centre tube or by trimming off the shoulders with a craft knife.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Yup, will work fine, HT2 is all the same fitment in that respect. You can use an MTB one with narrow road centre tube or by trimming off the shoulders with a craft knife.

Thanks. Ill order asap. This creaking is driving me insane.
  • Try a cbear ceramic bbc- awesome kit
  • Try a cbear ceramic bbc- awesome kit

I was on the site. It looks a little confusing.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Try a cbear ceramic bbc- awesome kit
    :roll: :roll:

On an old Cannondale it would cost almost as much as the bike is worth. Overkill ++
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D