Tyre advice for road / hard-pack forest / mud

jonathanuk
jonathanuk Posts: 67
edited January 2018 in Cyclocross
At the moment my cx bike has some Panaracer TourGuard road tyres on (which have excellent puncture protection for thorny cycle paths) as it's mostly used for tarmac riding; I'd like to ride it in the forests a bit more, mostly fire roads, the occasional section of xc red route that doesn't have technical drop-offs etc but may have mud, sand, stones, leaves, puddles, frost or ice in the winter.

I quite like the look of the Challenge Chicane and the Kenda Happy Medium as they should be fast rolling on tarmac and provide good grip over stones, ice, loose stuff, but also have knobbles for when it gets a bit muddy. I'm guessing these kind of tyres will run well at lower pressures (about 40 PSI?) but also that they have minimal puncture protection from thorns etc.

Anyone used them for general purpose winter tyres on tarmac and in forests? Any other tyres I should consider? Thanks!

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    WTB Nanos roll pretty well, I don't ride much on the road though, I ride them tubeless in the mid 20's.

Another tyre to look at is the WTB Resolute but it comes up a bit big for a lot of CX frames.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • robertpb wrote:
    WTB Nanos roll pretty well, I don't ride much on the road though, I ride them tubeless in the mid 20's.

Another tyre to look at is the WTB Resolute but it comes up a bit big for a lot of CX frames.

Had a quick look. Currently running 32C, there's about 10mm gap either side to the frame so probably wouldn't want to run anything more than about 40C realistically. I don't know if 40C would fit in my mudguards, they are Raceblade XL which are rated for up to 32C, could always take them off and try some of the MTB style ones.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I've got Chicanes in open tubular great grip and tread pattern for mixed use but not much puncture protection, also wear fast as really a racing tyre and the side walls are thin if riding roots/flint etc.
    The newer 'Gravel Grinder' is the same tread pattern, and available as a standard clincher which would be great for mixed use but not tubeless ready.
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    I use Land Cruisers for that sort of thing. Tough as old boots and cheap as chips. Obviously they require a confident approach in muddy conditions (i.e. they aren't very grippy!) but are the old school choice for the Three Peaks so can easily handle what you have described.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Schwalbe Land Cruisers, as mentioned above. Or - if you can fit them - Smart Sams...