Get Moscon out

specialgueststar
specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
edited May 2019 in Pro race
Moscon looking very vulnerable after allegations of racist taunts to Reza and purposefully knocking Reichanbach off

Hope it's a long ban - it's looking that way

David Lappartient , has already openly expressed : " We must be tough about it. I'm checking the case very carefully. After addressing racist phrases and pushing a colleague off the road, for me the rider has nothing to do with cycling ".

Love the way the Italians describe it ...

Very harsh words, which suggest an imminent disqualification (perhaps even long ...), which could deprive Moscon of participation in the Spring Classics. For Team Sky, after Chris Froome's positivity to salbutamol, it's raining in the wet ...

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Must admit it sounds bad and if there is truth in the accusations he should be banned.*

But at the moment it is only an accusation so will reserve judgment until his case is heard.

*If he is found to have racially abused and also deliberately caused crashes in the peloton then in my eyes he should never be allowed to race again as It's worse than doping.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    He does appear to be a nasty piece of work.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,199
    Is there something new here? Is there a case coming up?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • joelsim

Yes. His behaviour is being looked at.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    This is from when? Seems a long delay to initiate action.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439

My thoughts exactly. What's brought on this new thread now?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    I read recently that Reichenbach has no recollection of the incident, was told it was Moscon by his team doctor. Which would make successful prosecution difficult.

Personally, I'd say it was a racing incident and no action should be taken, unless there is video or photographic evidence of Moscon's alleged infraction.

The racism is another matter, but as the UCI took no action other than agreeing with Sky's decision to suspend Moscon, then it's hard to see how they can do anything further, as punishing someone for the same incident twice will not get passed CAS.
  • gsk82 wrote:

The lack of actual racing.
    Getting just like the DM around here, with the click bait thread titles and sod all news.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Andriy Grivko only got a 45 day ban for punching Marcel Kittel in the face. I can't remember much outrage about that. And barely anyone remembers it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,873
    RichN95 wrote:
    Andriy Grivko only got a 45 day ban for punching Marcel Kittel in the face. I can't remember much outrage about that.

Mitigating circumstance was Kittel riding like an ass and trying to push his way into a line that wasn't his place to get into.

Surprised too to see the Moscon things raised again. Maybe the new UCI President will get all non-French riders suspended so a Frenchie can win the Tour. :?
  • gsk82 wrote:

Getting just like the DM around here, with the click bait thread titles and sod all news.

The UCI have still not dealt with it and it seems they are addressing it now according to Italian media. Hence the missed spring classics at least. Why don't you get some more sleep ?
  • Dorset Boy wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Andriy Grivko only got a 45 day ban for punching Marcel Kittel in the face. I can't remember much outrage about that.

Mitigating circumstance was Kittel riding like an ass and trying to push his way into a line that wasn't his place to get into.

Surprised too to see the Moscon things raised again. Maybe the new UCI President will get all non-French riders suspended so a Frenchie can win the Tour. :?
    :roll:
  • RichN95.
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

That's not mitigating circumstances. Riders ride like asses all the time.
  • joelsim
    I suspect it's been brought up again as there were comments earlier in the week from Lapartyinatent.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Lets hope the uci doesnt join the shameful “virtue signalling” band wagon.
  • gsk82 wrote:

The UCI have still not dealt with it and it seems they are addressing it now according to Italian media. Hence the missed spring classics at least. Why don't you get some more sleep ?

How about a link to the Italian media of which you speak?
    Nothing new here as far as I can see.

http://www.gazzetta.it/Ciclismo/
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    Didn't he apologise for the racist taunt and the apology was accepted? Very ignorant, but no need to take that any further. Pushing someone off is a far worse offence.
  • nickice wrote:
    Didn't he apologise for the racist taunt and the apology was accepted? Very ignorant, but no need to take that any further. Pushing someone off is a far worse offence.

Reichanbach has an ongoing civil case against him
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,223
    nickice wrote:

How come you only pop up on here when there's some racism afoot?
  • nickice
    nickice wrote:

Reichanbach has an ongoing civil case against him

I've often wondered how often incidents like these occur at all level of racing.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    nickice wrote:

There was every need to take that further, sadly the UCI bottled it and just confirmed the Sky imposed suspension that conveniently covered a period when he was unlikely to be racing anyway.

A longer ban should've been imposed, racism should not be tolerated in the sport and I think a minimum of a six month suspension was needed.
  • nickice
    andyp wrote:
    nickice wrote:

There was every need to take that further, sadly the UCI bottled it and just confirmed the Sky imposed suspension that conveniently covered a period when he was unlikely to be racing anyway.

A longer ban should've been imposed, racism should not be tolerated in the sport and I think a minimum of a six month suspension was needed.

I've never (and have never even considered) racially abusing someone in my life. I just think that this is being treated as a far greater offence than it actually is (making the other rider crash was far worse). If an apology has been accepted (this is despite Moscon clearly being a complete dick on more than one occasion) then who are we to say it should be taken further?

Imagine a situation where two sportsmen are abusing each other and using personal insults (for example, I read that Shane Warne said 'puff puff' to an opposing player after some of that player's family had been killed in a train crash). The personal insults are just part of the sport but the racist insults cross the line? What if it had been Reza abusing Moscon (I'm not saying this is the case at all) and Moscon retaliated with whatever he said (this is all hypothetical)? I don't think it's always as clear cut as people would like it to be.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    How many days until there is some racing to talk about? Rather than going over and over topics that have already been done to death...
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    nickice wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    nickice wrote:

I've never (and have never even considered) racially abusing someone in my life. I just think that this is being treated as a far greater offence than it actually is (making the other rider crash was far worse). If an apology has been accepted (this is despite Moscon clearly being a complete dick on more than one occasion) then who are we to say it should be taken further?

Imagine a situation where two sportsmen are abusing each other and using personal insults (for example, I read that Shane Warne said 'puff puff' to an opposing player after some of that player's family had been killed in a train crash). The personal insults are just part of the sport but the racist insults cross the line? What if it had been Reza abusing Moscon (I'm not saying this is the case at all) and Moscon retaliated with whatever he said (this is all hypothetical)? I don't think it's always as clear cut as people would like it to be.

Well said. In the real world sh!t happens and we can't sanitise it now matter who much we 'would like'. Get over it guys.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • joelsim
    r0bh wrote:
    How many days until there is some racing to talk about? Rather than going over and over topics that have already been done to death...

Not many!
  • Totally sympathy with those who regard Moscon as an obnoxious tool. I’ve seen first hand his arrogance on a flight to San Diego for ToC in 2016

I’m for due process regards the investigation into this latest affair, mind. I’d advocate the same irrespective of the rider.

But yeah, he’s a right tool
  • RichN95.
    andyp wrote:
    nickice wrote:

Sky suspended him for about the same amount of time the UCI had just suspended Grivko for punching Kittel in face. Now I'm not black, but if I was given the choice of being punched in the face or called a
    , I think I'd choose the racial slur every time.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    RichN95 wrote:
    Now I'm not black, but if I was given the choice of being punched in the face or called a

I'm sorry but racial abuse is far worse than being punched. There is no excuse for it and it should not be tolerated.

Oh and deliberately pushing another rider off their bike mid race is arguably the worst offence a pro cyclist could commit and imo deserves a very lengthy ban.
  • RichN95.
    redvision wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Now I'm not black, but if I was given the choice of being punched in the face or called a

I'm sorry but racial abuse is far worse than being punched. There is no excuse for it and it should not be tolerated.
    There's no excuse for punching someone either. I don't think there's any legal system that thinks verbal abuse is worse than physical abuse.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    redvision wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Oh and deliberately pushing another rider off their bike mid race is arguably the worst offence a pro cyclist could commit and imo deserves a very lengthy ban.

I think you’re so behind the times, racism is now a long way behind sexual predation real or imagined so if you need to get on your high horse about something that’s the bandwagon to get on.