Flat bar conversion

dickymicky
dickymicky Posts: 3
edited January 2018 in Workshop
Hi all, new to forum and looking for some advice. I have a 2016 Giant Defy 0 with 22 speed ultegra set up. Am wanting to convert to a flat bar set up instead of drop bars. Any advice on shifters/ brakes please? Compatibility between the different shimano groupsets is a mystery to me.

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Do you really want to do it?
    I tried it once and soon converted back.
    if you do it won't be cheap.You'll need specific flat-bar shifters to work with Ultegra
    https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-shifte ... rs-double/
    MTB shifters(LX/XT/XTR etc)won't work(or rather won't work properly,different pull ratio) and you'll also need Brake levers that will work with caliper brakes
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod34695
    You might find the shifters cheaper with a bit of Googling or you could just put a complete set of MTB shifters/Mechs on instead.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,594
    Frame geometry will not be optimum either - I would have thought flogging it and buying a hybrid from scratch would be a better option.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Why do you want to ? As has been said - it's expensive and not optimal.
  • Thanks for replies. I'm considering the flat bar conversion because I have a back issue which hasn't been resolved by having a bike fit and is exacerbated whenever I use the drop bars. In the LBS I looked at a Giant rapid, and the assistant told me the geometry is identical to the defy, so he said why not do the conversion.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Find another LBS or another assistant. This one was wrong.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    A flat bar won't solve your problem.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Ben6899 wrote:
    A flat bar won't solve your problem.

True enough.

As well as the assistant being wrong about geometry being the same for rapid as defy.

Even if you could do the flat bar conversion and put the new bars in the same place as the old ones, you will still have the back problem that was an issue with the bar position to start with.

Drop bars or Flat bars are not the issue here - the placement of the contact points in relation to the saddle etc is what you need to look at. This has nothing to do with the shape of the bars. There is no reason why the hoods on your current bars couldnt be positioned in the same place as the flat bars you are looking at - thereby putting your back in the same position. If you then dont want to use the drops because your back doesnt allow it, then fair enough.

I like flat bars personally and ride centuries on them with no issues whatsoever.

But the shape of the bars wont fix your back position.

If a bike fit cant fix it then presumably its because you have the wrong frame that cant be sensibly adjusted to fit you.

Fitting flat bars will change the geometry - they bring the contact point closer towards you, hence why flat bar frames have a longer top tube and stem to compensate. This might improve your bike fit but the fitter isnt suggesting it for that reason because they seem to have told you a bike fit cant fix it for some reason.

I think you would be better off asking what you need to change about your current bike to make it work better for you - if you need the bars closer or higher (the most likely scenario for a back issue I would guess) then you may be able to do this by changing the stem? If not, do you actually need a different size frame?
  • dickymicky wrote:
    Hi all, new to forum and looking for some advice. I have a 2016 Giant Defy 0 with 22 speed ultegra set up. Am wanting to convert to a flat bar set up instead of drop bars. Any advice on shifters/ brakes please? Compatibility between the different shimano groupsets is a mystery to me.
    Besides the flat bars, if you want to keep the present derailleurs and brakes, you will need a pair of Shimano RS700 shifters and R780 brake levers.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    dickymicky wrote:
    Thanks for replies. I'm considering the flat bar conversion because I have a back issue which hasn't been resolved by having a bike fit and is exacerbated whenever I use the drop bars. In the LBS I looked at a Giant rapid, and the assistant told me the geometry is identical to the defy, so he said why not do the conversion.

What did the bike fit consist of and who did it? Not the assistant who told you that the Rapid and Defy had identical geometries! :shock:

Did you buy the correct size frame?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you convert to flats they will be pretty much in the same position as riding on the top of the drop bars, so why not just ride there, if that still gives you a bad back then flats won’t fix it.

Geometry won’t be optimal, drop bar frames are shorter as the normal hand grip is on the hoodz which is much further ahead of the steerer than you would be on flats.

I ride a hybrid based on a drop bar frame but I went up a frame size and used a setback instead of an in-line seatpost to get the right riding position for me.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I'd strengthen your back not mess with the bike. Seriously, with proper effort you should be able to ensure that your core musculature can properly support you on the bike if the fit is reasonable. If you have degenerate discs and worn facet joints this is especially so.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Go find a Pilates instructor and explain the problem.

Changing your bars won't help.