Interchangeable crankset

3lake
3lake Posts: 3
edited January 2018 in Workshop
Hi,
i have a BSA 68mm road frame and i would like to be able to mount interchangeably two cranks:
1. Raceface Cinch 30mm diameter with 130mm spindle (single)
2. A road crankset (double or triple)

Would it work if i mount the BSA Cinch bottom bracket (68/73mm) and use the 30mm to 24mm FSA reducer cups and a Hollotech II road crankset?

Thank you,
Luis

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No, you can't mount the Cinch cranks in a standard threaded frame, full stop.

the reducer cups allow a 24mm crank to be fitted in 30mm bearings not the other way round.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    No, you can't mount the Cinch cranks in a standard threaded frame, full stop.
    Nonsense: https://www.raceface.com/products/details/cinch-bsa30-bb
  • Steve-XcT
    Steve-XcT Posts: 267
    3lake wrote:
    Hi,
    i have a BSA 68mm road frame and i would like to be able to mount interchangeably two cranks:
    1. Raceface Cinch 30mm diameter with 130mm spindle (single)
    2. A road crankset (double or triple)

Would it work if i mount the BSA Cinch bottom bracket (68/73mm) and use the 30mm to 24mm FSA reducer cups and a Hollotech II road crankset?

Thank you,
    Luis

I'd try and avoid switching out cranks too often... I don't think it does the BB or spindle much good... I don't mean a few times a year but a few times a week I'd say is too often.

Just another option to consider is just changing the chainrings... I do this a lot on the kids XC bike for races just using a HT-II with 104 BCD.. and although both are 1x its a 5 minute job at most and the only part getting damaged are the bolts that are easy to replace. It would be feasible for a 2x but I might then stick a longer cage on (which is more of an issue on 24" wheels than 700c's)

Both of these however might run into chain length issues... (depending on your double tooth difference)
  • 3lake
    3lake Posts: 3
    One idea was to use the BSA Cinch bottom bracket and use the reducers to fit a 24mm road crank.
    The issue is what crank's spindle will be long enough?

Another idea woul be to use a BB386EVO bottom bracket and cranks. Then i would have to find some kind of spacers for the longer cinch spindle..
    Or am i wrong? Anyone knows the difference in spindle lenght between the Cinch (std 68/73) and a road BB386 spindle?
    Thank everybody for the answers
    ps. @The Rookie thanks anyway for the answer, I find myself BB and cranks to be complicated and it's easy to make a mistake ;)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Cinch is just a 30mm spindle crankset and will work with any BSA30 BB - RaceFace BBs are a bit weak, e.g. Wheels Manufacturing has better sealing / bigger bearings. However, the FSA reducer cups are designed for BB30/PF30 which uses a 19mm narrower BB shell whereas there is no gap with the Cinch crankset. A RaceFace Aeffect Cinch crank running in an HT2 BB might cause fewer problems?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..