Cutting steerer tube on Canyon Aeroad

Yanis Nayu
Yanis Nayu Posts: 10
edited January 2018 in Workshop
Hi. I’ve got a Canyon Aeroad with the aero cockpit, currently with about 30mm of spacers above the bars and want to get the steerer tube cut so that the top cap is flush with the bars. Is it advisable, or should there always be a 5mm spacers above?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Go with whatever the manufacturer recommends...
  • I’ve never had 5mm above. It’s not really doing anything. If you tighten the headset correctly and thecstem bolts I’d be very surprised if it was going to fail. Many integrated stems now don’t even really give the option so it can’t be that important
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Spacers are there to get the bars at the right height for you. If you need them lower, cut.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Spacers are there to get the bars at the right height for you. If you need them lower, cut.

Yes, but the 5mm spacer above on a carbon steerer is generally considered good practice to rule out any risk of crushing/deforming the steerer.

Probably not 100% necessary, and loads of people just have it cut flush, but offers peace of mind to those that want it.

As has already been said, probably best to check to see what the fork manufacturer recommends really.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You don't cut the steerer flush anyway. Needs about 2mm below the top of the stem minimum.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Do Canyon recommend a spacer above the stem ? I know Bianchi do on certain models
  • cooldad wrote:
    You don't cut the steerer flush anyway. Needs about 2mm below the top of the stem minimum.

Yes, to allow the top cap to do its job, but the end result look is flush.
  • If you unscrew your top cap and look inside, you will see the bung that has been inserted to reinforce the steerer where the stem clamps onto it. The idea is to have the bung in the same position as the stem clamp.
    To allow the top cap to do it's job and pull the headset tight when setting bearing pre-load, the steerer usually needs to be cut 2mm below the top of the stem. However, this might cause the steerer tube to be crushed when the stem is tightened as the bung is now well below where the stem clamps onto the steerer. A while back a number of bikes from a US company had steerers failing because of this, and to correct the issue they required a spacer to be added on top of the stem. This allowed the pre-load to be set and also allowed the stem to clamp lower down on the steerer and avoid compressing the end.
    If you have a look at the picture in the following link, you can see there are no spacers above the stem.
    http://www.velonews.com/2010/06/news/st ... bes_121389
    I would check very carefully with the manufacturer (not bike shop) regarding what is required.
  • champson wrote:
    If you unscrew your top cap and look inside, you will see the bung that has been inserted to reinforce the steerer where the stem clamps onto it. The idea is to have the bung in the same position as the stem clamp.
    To allow the top cap to do it's job and pull the headset tight when setting bearing pre-load, the steerer usually needs to be cut 2mm below the top of the stem. However, this might cause the steerer tube to be crushed when the stem is tightened as the bung is now well below where the stem clamps onto the steerer. A while back a number of bikes from a US company had steerers failing because of this, and to correct the issue they required a spacer to be added on top of the stem. This allowed the pre-load to be set and also allowed the stem to clamp lower down on the steerer and avoid compressing the end.
    If you have a look at the picture in the following link, you can see there are no spacers above the stem.
    http://www.velonews.com/2010/06/news/st ... bes_121389
    I would check very carefully with the manufacturer (not bike shop) regarding what is required.

fsa-160-3010-med.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7

This style headset expander plug is designed to prevent the tube being crushed as the long collar provides a reinforcement inside the tube. Both my Bianchi’s came with this style of headset.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Depends. Some manufacturers recommend a spacer above so the stem isn't clamping right at the top of the steerer which may not be supported internally there. Others recommend no spacers above because they supply the kind of bung that sits right at the top of the steerer tube, and to clamp it lower would mean the steerer was unsupported there. (My Scott for instance)

On the other hand, having once tried to crush an offcut of carbon steerer, they are a lot stronger than many people believe, so you could probably do what you like...
  • Thanks guys.