GT avalanche comp 2017 v carrera kraken

dazzlers82
dazzlers82 Posts: 50
edited January 2018 in MTB buying advice
ok guys, just getting into biking and ive found two bikes i like the look of and i can get for very similar money so what out of the two suggested would be better, its only going to be used for going out with my son and im not going to be pushing the limits or doing anything to special.

Tia
Darren
Scott speedster 20 compact 2013
Claud butler san remo 2012

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    If you could add links to the bikes people will be better able to advise you. Most people don't memorise specs.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Scott speedster 20 compact 2013
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Kraken, much better forks, it gives away a little on the drivetrain but it’s all perfectly functional while the Fork fundamentally affects how it rides.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    The Kraken, much better forks, it gives away a little on the drivetrain but it’s all perfectly functional while the Fork fundamentally affects how it rides.

What about frame is the Gt much better. The GT was a £600 bike before sale where as the kraken is only £450, does that make it better in any way ?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope you're paying £150 for the brand.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    GT frames aren’t that light, your just paying for the brand as CD says, bike prices are about perceived value not real value and many people perceive that a GT is better than a Carrera when often it’s no better or worse for the same price point.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I’m hoping Halfords will have the Vulcan or kraken on offer as I know both bikes go for a lot less than they are at the moment. Decisions decisions :|
  • to impatient to wait for a deal, so brought the kraken and pick it up friday. :D