Xmas weight gain!

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited January 2018 in The cake stop
Anyone else notice significant weight gain over Xmas? I stopped cycling on 22/12 and plan to do my first ride tomoz. Not a huge amount of time off the bike but I have still managed to gain 13lbs!!!

I suspect a big chunk is water weight but even still wtf!!! I was ill over Xmas too and I tend to binge when I am ill so I didn't hold back - turkey and all the trimmings, Yule logs, mince pies and a few too many glasses of mulled vino veritas

I weighed myself at the same time (first thing after shower and naked)

I am not too worried as when the office opens again on 2/1 I am back to 20+ miles commuting a day, I will have a few weeks off dairy and maybe do a few swimming sessions too so should be back on track within 6 weeks

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    It'll drop straight off once you're back to normal. I wouldn't give it much thought.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    My New Years resolution - Stay off the scales.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    Yep not too worried but just amazed that I could add nearly 7kgs in 10 days! Anyone would think I am a baby rhino or something !

The way I see it is that it's better to just eat all the crap that gets bought for us / offered etc and get it out the way than dealing with it through Jan.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    7kg does seem a lot, come to think of it! Are your scales working okay?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    You should see a doctor.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Not just me then!

Have been enjoying myself this festive season more than normal, not so healthy eating, and a lot of Ale.....

I am up about 4kg, whick is pretty much 2/3rds ofa stone, 10lbs or so?
    Felt a bit unmotivated the entire month, so not cycled/turbo'd much, which clearly compounds the issue. Know my power will have slipped plenty too.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Crap weather, food and drink temptation, all will be fine in the new year honest, here have a beer!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • pblakeney
    FishFish wrote:
    You should see a doctor.
    I did back in the day. She was much fun.
    I recommend it too.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    We should turn this into a competition next year.
  • jollygiant
    jollygiant Posts: 117
    edited December 2017
    I weigh myself on the 8th of each month.
    I last weighed myself on the 8th of December, so I'm lucky that I have week before I have to weigh myself!!
    Not looking forward to it!
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    It's not what you eat between Xmas and New Year that matters.
    It's what you eat between New Year and Xmas
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Andy9964 wrote:
    wise words!!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • mr_eddy wrote:
    Yep not too worried but just amazed that I could add nearly 7kgs in 10 days! Anyone would think I am a baby rhino or something !

The way I see it is that it's better to just eat all the crap that gets bought for us / offered etc and get it out the way than dealing with it through Jan.

13lbs is not 7kgs

This may be good or bad news depending on the currency originally used
  • daniel_b
    mr_eddy wrote:

13lbs is not 7kgs

This may be good or bad news depending on the currency originally used

True enough, I always keep 6.35kg in my head, as that is 1 stone or 14lbs.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Xmas weight loss: have a dose of the 'flu, the proper one, not the silly manflu thing. Dropped about 8kg before Christmas, helped by not eating for over a week. Appetite still way down which is good; not so good is the associated lack of energy. Last bike ride was v slow indeed. All in all, not recommended.

And I will not, repeat not, forget to have my 'flu jab, ever again.
  • orraloon wrote:
    Xmas weight loss: have a dose of the 'flu, the proper one, not the silly manflu thing. Dropped about 8kg before Christmas, helped by not eating for over a week. Appetite still way down which is good; not so good is the associated lack of energy. Last bike ride was v slow indeed. All in all, not recommended.

In the same boat as you Orraloon, got out of bed for the first time is 11 days yesterday. Doctor muttered the word virus, prescribed anti biotics and have laid in bed hardly eating since. Feel very weak now but hopefully getting on the recovery road. As for getting on the bike I think it will be a massive and gradual effort to get the strength back in the body.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Good thinking PB.
  • pblakeney
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Good thinking PB.
    Well, I am the most sensible person on here. :lol:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Still haven't completely regained the 2kg of dehydration lost through the Hogmanay hangover..
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Good thinking PB.

Someone mentioned low bar in another thread.
    Could apply to us all :lol:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,161
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Given the weight gain that some people are reporting over Christmas, it'll have to be a low bar for them to get over it.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Ballysmate wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Good thinking PB.

Not wrong there friend of Bally. Doing well with the resolution so far, walked past the pallet scales several times without getting on.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,161
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Good thinking PB.

Not wrong there friend of Bally. Doing well with the resolution so far, walked past the pallet scales several times without getting on.
    You need talking scales - it could sing the audience refrain from the start of Roy Chubby Brown shows :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • daniel_b
    I have put on 5.5kg in 8 weeks, or 4.4kg in 4 weeks :shock:

I would not have thought that could be possible - I think Ales are the main contributor, plus a vast reduction in cycling, just lost the motivation towards the end of the year.

Back on it from tomorrow, a harsh FTP test to determing where I am, and am expecting a 10-20% loss on where I was in the autumn :?
    Still, need a reality check, and somewhere to start from and build - again.
    Looking to shift all of this extra weight by the end of May hopefully, perhaps sooner.

Healthy breakfasts started again today, all mince pies in the house have now been consumed, and chocolate will be banished.

Going to try and switch from a mid volume program with TR to low volume and see if it's easier to maintain, and might also motivate me to get out on the actual road at the weekend more.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I did my usual and put on about a pound a day over the xmas break, which is actually quite modest when you calculate my calorific intake. With the possible exception of sprouts, everything you eat and drink at Christmas is incredibly calorie dense. And tasty. Back on the old 5:2 today, so I'll soon shift it.

Just need the kids to drop in and hoover up the leftover Quality Street / cheese / cake / stollen / shortbread.

Surprising amount of booze left this year, but that'll keep since it's in the garage and out of sight / mind.
  • orraloon wrote:

In the same boat as you Orraloon, got out of bed for the first time is 11 days yesterday. Doctor muttered the word virus, prescribed anti biotics and have laid in bed hardly eating since. Feel very weak now but hopefully getting on the recovery road. As for getting on the bike I think it will be a massive and gradual effort to get the strength back in the body.

That's concerning, a GP prescribing antibiotics for a virus?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    That's concerning, a GP prescribing antibiotics for a virus?

Indeed it is, unless he/she suspected something bacterial too.

If you're just fighting off a virus, however crap it's making you feel, antibiotics won't help and could conceivably slow down your recovery.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    I always thought people saying 'you can't out train a bad diet' were talking rubbish. However, in the first 2 months of last year I lost a stone then in the remaining 10 months managed to put it all back on without noticing and it isn't muscle gain. I trained for 2 marathons in that time so assumed I would be OK eating plenty (my diet wasn't overly bad compared to many but obviously bad enough!). My aim now is to lose 2 stone and get down to 12 stone for my next marathon at the end of April as weight loss makes a big difference in pace.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Andy9964 wrote:

Very true.
    It’s quite comforting to read the above and realise I’m not the only one who gets a bit uptight about weight. Due to weather and a (sort of) conscious decision to do a bit less in December I have spent the last week obsessing about my weight and feeling fat. I like to be 12 st (77kg). I am currently 12st 5lbs but expect it to come back to normal when I start my normal cycling regime again, it always has in the past. The thing is, as I get older, I always worry that this will be the year that it doesn’t happen and I will not be able to shift it.
    I normally wear a FitBit but didn’t wear it in December. Since I put it on yesterday I feel like it’s a bit disappointed in me.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"