Tacx Vortex Smart

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
Soon to be the proud owner of the above thank you to Mrs Claus and her generosity.

I will be using my summer bike, Giant Defy Advanced Pro 3 (disc brakes )

I don't fancy having to change over tyres back and forth for those times when get in late from work and don't have time for a ride but could squeeze in a cheeky Zwft session...
So can anyone recommend a cheap wheel I can use on my trainer that can be shod with a turbo trainer tyre and a spare cassette etc .?

Plus as a noob to turbo trainers....do I need to fit a disc on the replacement wheel ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    You don't need brakes on a turbo trainer. You don't move.
  • You are going to need a wheel with a thru-axle not just a QR spanner if its disc wheel which kind of restricts whats available. Ive seen rim brake wheels as low as 80 quid for a Mavic Aksium 11sp freehub but I don't think you would be able to use that on your giant.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    How much does your tyre cost versus a new wheel ?

Try your normal tyre first and see if it wears any more than normal. Not all turbos eat tyres. Not all turbos get used past the first week.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    cougie wrote:
    How much does your tyre cost versus a new wheel ?

Try your normal tyre first and see if it wears any more than normal. Not all turbos eat tyres. Not all turbos get used past the first week.

This.

Try the trainer first. See how you get on. Many people love the idea of turbo training but after the first few sessions it never gets used again.

If you do enjoy it but tyre wear is high then invest in a wheel for use on the turbo.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I've been using my carbon bike on the turbo for years. OK I'm no Griepel - but how would you break a bike on the turbo ?? Any pics ?
  • Fenix wrote:
    I've been using my carbon bike on the turbo for years. OK I'm no Griepel - but how would you break a bike on the turbo ?? Any pics ?

Ive always been sceptical of this. If you ever see the clips of forks and frames being forcibly bent to test tolerances you can see they move a lot more than it would on a turbo.

I can understand not wanting to use a road tyre in an indoor trainer if anything just for the noise they create compared to a trainer specific tyre. difference between a blue Tacx tyre and a Conti GP4000 is massive even on the solid concrete floor in my garage. As for wear it is quite minimal if you buy quite middle of the road tyres. Obviously the softer compounds in top end race tyres will square off pretty quickly. So I wouldn't use a Schalwbe One for example but a Conti GP4seasons would last a lot longer and still be fine for outdoors riding too.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I used a road tyre for a while, but just the bog standard one's that came with the bike when I bought it. They were spares, lasted nearly a full winter of regular turbo use. I wouldn't have used that tyre out on the road though, lost a fair amount of rubber and squared edges.
    I also had my best carbon bike in the turbo without any problems. As it wasn't being used out on the road made sense to just leave it in the turbo. I didn't really rock the bike side to side though, I guess I was more conscious of falling over when standing rather than the bike being damaged.
  • yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    With regards to tyre choice, I am using a Halfords turbo tyre (£9.90 before the 10% BC discount) which is now nearing 5,000km...I'm not joking! The parting line in the centre is only now starting to fade a bit.
    My Turbo is an old Elite fluid one with a silicon drum, which I believe contributes to low levels of wear and noise.
    My nice carbon road bike was crushed in a big accident last year and as part of my long term rehab (physical and mental) I've built a cheapish one for the turbo with some 2nd hand/ some new bits and pieces. The bike after 5,000km still looks like new, the brake pads and braking surface on the Aksium wheels have Zero wear (obviously) and I've cleaned and lubed the gears TWICE over the last 18 months although I have wiped the dust off the frame a few times. Amazing what NOT riding on the road can do to longevity (of you bike and your body)...
    Like others I suggest that you use what you've got and if you find that you like turbo'ing then you look at a 2nd wheel+tyre or a dedicated bike...

BR
    y
  • Anonymous
    Luvin the new tacx..... Fitted a trainer tyre to my existing - bloody hard work....and that was before the ride!

Don't fancy fitting / refitting that each time I want a swifty in the conservatory.....

So back to original post...

Recommendations for cheap wheel - current is 700x 25 with Shimano 105 11/32 cassette
    And would need a disc hub....as bike fitted with the notorious disc brakes

Thanks in advance
  • roof30
    roof30 Posts: 58
    Luvin the new tacx..... Fitted a trainer tyre to my existing - bloody hard work....and that was before the ride!

Don't fancy fitting / refitting that each time I want a swifty in the conservatory.....

So back to original post...

Recommendations for cheap wheel - current is 700x 25 with Shimano 105 11/32 cassette
    And would need a disc hub....as bike fitted with the notorious disc brakes

Thanks in advance

I'm having the same issue as my Cannondale Synapse comes with disc brakes. I've narrowed it down to the Mavic Aksium Disc rear wheel (£75 from Wiggle). I donated the God-awful Maddux wheels that came with my Synapse to my local community bike project as I had three rear spokes go in a month and my local very unhelpful Evans store refused to fix them properly (bike was only 6 months old at this point), and replaced them with Hunt 4 Season Tubeless wheels.
    Cannondale Synapse AL 105, Specialized Sirrus Comp
  • Anonymous
    I have purchased a Mavic Aksium Disc ( without a rotor ) and a 11/28 Shimano cassette.

Fitted a Vittoria Zafiro trainer tyre....

All from Woodrups cycles in Leeds

very pleased with wheel and performance of tyre on the Tacx :D