26" mtb for a 11yr old

Moonbiker
Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
edited December 2017 in MTB buying advice
Recommend some plz

Anything decent under £500?

Thinking someting above 8 speed, hydraulic disc, decent fork, X1 gearing, & not weigh a ton, or is that too much to ask.

Comments

• oxoman wrote:
    I looked at 26" wheeled bikes for my youngest and decided in the end to get a small framed Boardman comp 27'5. Managed to pick it up from halfords on one of there many sales and got a further 10% off through British cycling discount. Cracking bike and I was lucky to get it for under your budget. With 11yr olds they seem to grow very quickly hence me getting the Boardman 16" frame. May be worth waiting for the deals to start coming up.
    Yep, good advice. Did the same for my two lads. At the time they were 10 and 11 and both riding 27.5 with small/medium frames. Two years on and they're still using the same bikes. Not long until they'll need upgrades though.

To be fair the bikes have been brilliant. Not expensive or class leading but for £350 worth of bike each they've been very good value when I look at how much they've been used. Happy now to spend more money on the upgrades as I know the kids are hooked.
  • Moonbiker
    Its £585 atm (Bit less with BC discount)

So they are on 16" frame size?

I think getting the trott mtb for £300, for me makes everything else seem expensive
  • Moonbiker
    Commecal bikes look nice but pricey for th4e 26" one

17METAHT24YE_680.jpg

Same "kind of" spec as the trott but 3 times the price
  • Moonbiker
    486350?w=637&h=403

Any opinions of the dimond back heist as it comes in 14" about same price as than the boardman?

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... gJzmfD_BwE

Im ignorant about mtb bit looks better spec than boardman? ...
  • You must be a wealthy man to be able to spend that kind of money on a bike that a kid will outgrow in a year or two. I'm happy for you.

I'm not quite a millionaire so I only spent about half that on my last bike, but that was not for recreation--that was my main means of transportation. I bought it used 10 years ago and I could sell it today at a profit (not counting consumables.)
  • Might be a bit late but I've bought an entry spec bike for my 13yr old who's only 5ft 3.

27.5" wheels medium frame GT Avalanche Sport 2017 £310. At 14kg its not space age light but that doesn't bother us in the slightest, I've also bought the same bike. Selling both of our road bikes

Fits very well only change im looking at its a shorter stem

If I could see an upload feature I'd send a picture of him on it