Cycle to work scheme = new bike

chrissymk7
chrissymk7 Posts: 26
edited January 2018 in MTB buying advice
Hello everyone,

I have the option to spend £1000 on a bike and parts by using my works cycle to work scheme but can’t decide between a couple of bikes, open to suggestions to other recommendations though.

Ideally would like a hard tail due to cycling to work and meaning better components elsewhere (assuming here) on the bike but something I can have some fun on too through Forrest’s and novice tracks like chopwell and hamsterly.

I’ve cut my options down to:
Trek Roscoe 8
https://www.teamcycles.com/products/trek-roscoe-8-2018

Norco Fluid 2
https://www.evanscycles.com/norco-fluid ... e-EV306510

Whyte 805
https://www.teamcycles.com/products/whyte-805-2018

TIA, Chris

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So which cycle work scheme do your woken use as that's may impact on your choice.

None are particularly well specced compared to what can be found.

I'm not a fan of plus bikes like the Roscoe, wider tyres and UK winter mud don't go well together, that said the review I read on the new Judy said they are all air which would be a plus if it is.

The other two are much of a muchness, the Norco is 11 speed but the Whyte is the newer Shimano 1x10 and slightly better quality parts.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    So which cycle work scheme do your woken use as that's may impact on your choice.

None are particularly well specced compared to what can be found.

I'm not a fan of plus bikes like the Roscoe, wider tyres and UK winter mud don't go well together, that said the review I read on the new Judy said they are all air which would be a plus if it is.

The other two are much of a muchness, the Norco is 11 speed but the Whyte is the newer Shimano 1x10 and slightly better quality parts.

Hi Rookie - the cycle sheme they use are http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk

Oh ok - I guess thats good to know and pleased I asked before going ahead with one of them.

I haven't rode one myself in all honesty so was going to test ride one first once I have the paperwork for the cycle scheme come through.

Like I saw i'm open to further options as I am not clue'd up on specifications of bikes and the people in the shop well, just want to sell me a bike haha so happy to listen :)

Chris
  • Chris - one thing to think about, if you are going to be mostly on the roads to cycle to work, is the gear ratios. The ones you link to have quite small top-ends (32/11 would be the biggest), which means you'd need a much higher cadence to get up to speed. They'd be good at spinning up hills, but on the flats and downhill you might find yourself spinning out.
  • The Rookie
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks both, i'll take a look at Go Outdoors this weekend.

Also realised I can buy from Tredz and chain reaction cycles online, they have a huge selection on their sites!
  • One thing to watch with Cyclescheme - if you try and purchase a bike that is reduced/on sale/last year's model, they (the retailer) will often try and add a premium/percentage.

I ended up paying 10% more on my bike i bought last year through cyclescheme at Hargroves so I had to top up with £100 of my own money. That said I still got a £1,500 bike for £1,100 (more like £700 after the tax benefit) so it is worthwhile.

They won't do this against new bikes as they have more margin
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • One thing to watch with Cyclescheme - if you try and purchase a bike that is reduced/on sale/last year's model, they (the retailer) will often try and add a premium/percentage.

I ended up paying 10% more on my bike i bought last year through cyclescheme at Hargroves so I had to top up with £100 of my own money. That said I still got a £1,500 bike for £1,100 (more like £700 after the tax benefit) so it is worthwhile.

They won't do this against new bikes as they have more margin

To be fair to the retailer they add the percentage because they have a membership/admin cost.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Yeah I only just read that last night about the discounted bikes, pleased I noticed it to be honest because it would have been news to me once I got to the till haha
  • I've seen this bike come down in price and the specs, especially the Yari forks seem quite good?

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-ir ... e-EV275645

What are your thoughts?
  • The Rookie
    Looks blinding value, very contemporary geometry and layout. The Fork is on another level compared to your original 3 bikes, not sure if Evans allow topups though.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Looks blinding value, very contemporary geometry and layout. The Fork is on another level compared to your original 3 bikes, not sure if Evans allow topups though.

Love the feedback thank you - done a little homework on it and starting to read spec's a lot better now. :)

Last time I was in there i'm sure they said they do however it's something that I will check! Sounds bad but I think I overlooked it because of price and visual reasons :oops: much more concerned about the components now than before. :D

Edit: Just been on the phone and they do allow top ups :D
  • https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/info/sale ... scheme.php
    https://www.rutlandcycling.com/content/ ... cling.aspx

Likely to find good deals at both sites, I think they both charge ~11% for Cyclescheme IIRC.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Ordered the pinnacle to test ride :)

Want a good set of mud guards too
  • The Rookie
    chrissymk7 wrote:
    Ordered the pinnacle to test ride :)

Just get one of those tiny fork arch guards, they make a huge difference and don’t look pants, at the rear I like a butt fender style, anything bigger and you end up carrying a kilo of mud by the end of the ride!
  • The Rookie wrote:
    chrissymk7 wrote:
    Ordered the pinnacle to test ride :)

Just get one of those tiny fork arch guards, they make a huge difference and don’t look pants, at the rear I like a butt fender style, anything bigger and you end up carrying a kilo of mud by the end of the ride!

Cheers I’ll take a look at those ones.

Went to test ride the iroko yesterday but it was a little too small - ordered an XL which should arrive towards the back end of next week.
  • Got the phone call yesterday to tell me the bike was built and the size was so much better!

Actually quite impressed with the colour/looks as I thought it was going to be too "boring" to look at - will get some pictures up later :)