Lady Newbie needing help ...

newtoit
newtoit Posts: 23
:roll:
OK hands up, I'm new to indoor training, newly back into cycling, not very knowledgeable OR practical and can't ask OH for help as he's stressed enough as it is. Would really appreciate some advice from some patient individuals.

I've been researching trainers and something like the Elite Direto would do the job fine for me. However, I would pay more if needs be to get something that is easy to set up and reliable. Think of me as 1 out of 10 in terms of ability to set something up (fitting a cadence sensor and pairing it to Edge & Smartphone about the extent of my skills). I was reading about the Wattbike Atom and initially thought it would be a great solution for me but it seems like there are lots of people reporting issues with it, although maybe these glitches will be ironed out in the coming months (I am probably looking to buy the trainer late spring/early summer 2018 as I need to get the builders in first to make my 'ladycave' watertight and install a power supply)?

I am also buying a new bike in 2018 and my plan is to use my old 26" hardtail as a permanent bike in the trainer (assuming I don't go for the Wattbike) so that I don't have to set up every time I want to use the trainer. I have looked at the Tacx Flux and note that this is no good with a long cage derailleur which must be what I've got on the hardtail, looking at it. I've also seen that some direct drive trainers need a cassette fitting - don't really understand this, why don't they supply them fitted if you need them/won't the cassette on the bike that I leave in the trainer do the job?

So my question is, what sort of trainer is going to be easiest for me (in terms of initial set-up, minimal 'maintenance', and reliability)? As touched on earlier, anything with Elite Direto features or higher would be of interest to me.

Really grateful to anyone who can give me a few pointers. Thanks.

Comments

• Hey Newtoit, Some very good videos on youtube by Shane Miller or DC Rainmaker on smart trainers etc, the trainer cassette would need to suit the gearing of the bike in use, 8,9,10,11 speed etc.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    You have a private message
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Hiya!

Far easier to explain about turbos over the phone and discuss.

If you want, give me a call on 07931 671977

Alex Taylor

www.facebook.com/ATCyclingCoach
    newtoit wrote:
    :roll:
    OK hands up, I'm new to indoor training, newly back into cycling, not very knowledgeable OR practical and can't ask OH for help as he's stressed enough as it is. Would really appreciate some advice from some patient individuals.

I've been researching trainers and something like the Elite Direto would do the job fine for me. However, I would pay more if needs be to get something that is easy to set up and reliable. Think of me as 1 out of 10 in terms of ability to set something up (fitting a cadence sensor and pairing it to Edge & Smartphone about the extent of my skills). I was reading about the Wattbike Atom and initially thought it would be a great solution for me but it seems like there are lots of people reporting issues with it, although maybe these glitches will be ironed out in the coming months (I am probably looking to buy the trainer late spring/early summer 2018 as I need to get the builders in first to make my 'ladycave' watertight and install a power supply)?

I am also buying a new bike in 2018 and my plan is to use my old 26" hardtail as a permanent bike in the trainer (assuming I don't go for the Wattbike) so that I don't have to set up every time I want to use the trainer. I have looked at the Tacx Flux and note that this is no good with a long cage derailleur which must be what I've got on the hardtail, looking at it. I've also seen that some direct drive trainers need a cassette fitting - don't really understand this, why don't they supply them fitted if you need them/won't the cassette on the bike that I leave in the trainer do the job?

So my question is, what sort of trainer is going to be easiest for me (in terms of initial set-up, minimal 'maintenance', and reliability)? As touched on earlier, anything with Elite Direto features or higher would be of interest to me.

Really grateful to anyone who can give me a few pointers. Thanks.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • OK thanks guys. I think I understand about the cassette - what fits my 26" hardtail will be different to what you use on your bike vs what someone else uses on theirs. So if I want to use my old hardtail in the trainer I need to buy a compatible cassette for that bike ...

How do I know what is a compatible cassette for my bike? I don't have any tech specs and it's not a model in current production and I'm not entirely sure of model year. Jesus wept, does that mean I have to count the teeth on my cassette to know what to replace it with? That is sending me into a cold sweat just thinking about it. Is there an easy way to do it?

NapoleonD - thanks very much for offering to talk me through some of this. I'm not in the UK now until w/c 8th Jan but could give you a buzz then if I'm not sorted? Any time better than any other for you?
  • OK thanks guys. I think I understand about the cassette - what fits my 26" hardtail will be different to what you use on your bike vs what someone else uses on theirs. So if I want to use my old hardtail in the trainer I need to buy a compatible cassette for that bike ...

How do I know what is a compatible cassette for my bike? I don't have any tech specs and it's not a model in current production and I'm not entirely sure of model year. Jesus wept, does that mean I have to count the teeth on my cassette to know what to replace it with? That is sending me into a cold sweat just thinking about it. Is there an easy way to do it?

NapoleonD - thanks very much for offering to talk me through some of this. I'm not in the UK now until w/c 8th Jan but could give you a buzz then if I'm not sorted? Any time better than any other for you?
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    newtoit wrote:
    The Direto only takes 10 or 11 speed cassettes. If your hartal does not have a 10 or 11 speed cassette then it won't fit on one.

As to why cassettes aren't included with wheel off trainers, the chances the one you want being supplied with the unit is not guaranteed so you would likely have to buy one anyway so the manufacturer will save money by not including one.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    The Direto is one of the simplest set ups and calibrations there is. You barely have to do the calibration spin down more than once for several months unlike some other trainers.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.