CannoTdale

jempi
jempi Posts: 58
edited December 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi, I'm Jempi and i can use some help/advise:

The problem:
after a lot of research I decided i wanted to buy a Cannondale CAADX 105 SE or Ultegra for my commute.
My commute is 17km /11mi long (single).
7km/4,5mi is on gravel/old/bad/country roads. The other 10km/7mi are straight ahaed tarmac next to a ringway.
My budget is 2000 euro / 1750£ max.
But these bikes seem to be unexcisting.
No shop in Belgium or Holland has it in stock. Shops can deliver the 105 SE soonest at the end of january. The Ultegra is only be deliverd end of march!

The Solution:
*look for a 2017 model*
found 1 ultegra 2017 ! at a stupidly high price (1900euro / 1670 £) far away in holland. it's a bad deal and no chance on service! For the moment a no go.

*take a standard 105*
I think it's a bad deal, no si crank (if i choose a crappy bb30, at least i want a decent crappy one), needs wheel upgrade, mechanical discs, boring colour... feels not good

*take a CAAD12 disc*
Ultegra is above my budget here, 105 is cool but needs a wheel update and i extremely dislike the rs505 whoppers.
a bit affraid for the geometry also and only 28mm clearence is not much for the gravel/dirt sections on my route.
maybe a go, but big doubts

*Wait a few months you nag*
For the moment, I'm doing the commute on a 8y old giant crs 4.0 hybrid, Ok bike, but it had its best days.
My mindset was ready for a new bike, so everyday on this bike gets a little bit harder :D
3 or 5 months is long, especially in the winter. Feels also not right.

*...*
Whats your opinion, experience. What would you do ?
Are there good Alternatives for CAAD X?
Is it worth waiting ?
Is there another way to buy a cannondale?
Should i comprimise?

Kind regards, Jempi 8)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Simple, buy something else.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Order it off the Internet from any of the normal Internet shops?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Internet or wait. You will regret it for more than 5 months if you don't. Save for Ultegra in the mean time.

And let's face it, winter next to the north sea is crap no matter what you are riding.
  • jempi
    cooldad wrote:
    Simple, buy something else.
    Any suggestions ?
    I checked Crux / Cube Cross / Kona Jake / Canyon / Giant tcx / ... and the caadx is still my favourite.
    The Stevens Vapor i like much, nice specs and i love that dark green but i cant find much info about the frame.

Anybody drove it?
    Other bikes to consider?
  • jempi
    Order it off the Internet from any of the normal Internet shops?
    I would like to avoid internet shopping because at the cannondale dealer i get a voucher for accessories as a reduction. Prices in shops and online are the same, but i find it harder to negotiate for a package online.
    And i have a free bikefit at the shop and the ease of next door service and expertise.

In belgium we also can use "ecocheques", i have for 300€ / 250£ off them, that i can use to by a bike. But i cant use those online.
  • jempi
    Internet or wait. You will regret it for more than 5 months if you don't. Save for Ultegra in the mean time.

And let's face it, winter next to the north sea is crap no matter what you are riding.

I guess this is what smart, wise people would do. :D
    The question that occurs to me : is the caadx ultegra such a exceptional bike or deal you would wait 5 months for? 5 months is pretty long...

Winter would be equally crap, but if i'm faster i spend less time in the winter 8)
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Downside of cross bikes for commuting is that they don't usually come with mudguard mounts. Also, cheaper Cannondales like 105 will be ridden with FSA and Mavic junk. I think 'gravel' bike is the new category that is as rugged as cross, but more commute friendly.
  • jempi
    Most of the "gravelbikes" i checked are more endurance focused. Not a big a fan.
    The Steven Vapor has eyelets for mounts.
    Starting to like this bike more and more.
    Friday i go to a stevens shop.
    Someone that thinks its more wise to wait 5 months for a caadx?
    Or thinks i have much better options for my precious euro's?
    Jempi.
  • jempi
    To solve my dillema i searched for a bikeshop that is a dealer for stevens and cannondale.
    They didn't realy spoke out their prefered brand but they did let me understand very subtle that stevens has a better overall build quality but that for this two models the differences where so little it came to personal preferences.
    For the same price with stevens you have the newest ultegra, shimano cranck, slighter better wheels.
    I liked the colour of the vapor also a lot, just a shame they put the word stevens 300 times on the frame.
    The caadx is also a realy good looking bike to my taste.
    I found an other dealer that had a vapor in pre-order and they could deliver in a few weeks.
    So since a month i am happily commuting on my dark green german crosser.

Jempi.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    mamil314 wrote:
    Downside of cross bikes for commuting is that they don't usually come with mudguard mounts. Also, cheaper Cannondales like 105 will be ridden with FSA and Mavic junk. I think 'gravel' bike is the new category that is as rugged as cross, but more commute friendly.

The CAADX has mudguard mounts, or at least my 2016 Ultegra model does
  • Go for the CAADX. BB30 not been an issue on mine and it's over 4000 miles since Sept 16. Did squeak a bit last summer but stripped down, cleaned and put together and like new. I think it is far less an issue on aluminium frames. Mine is an 18 km commute too, with about 3 1/2 km on New Forest tracks.

I got the 105 version for a cracking deal and it wears the mudguards pretty much permanently all year. Replaced the promax for TRP Spyres (£60 all in off ebay), and put on another layer of bartape. As well as 28mm tyres. And yes it's mainly black, but surprisingly there are metallic flecks in it too.

Or get one of these from wiggle (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-grade-carbon ... road-bike/) as they're really comfy. Well, it should be as bought the aluminium flavour one for my wife and she absolutely loves it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    To those still offering advice, try reading to the end....
    Jempi wrote:
    To solve my dillema i searched for a bikeshop that is a dealer for stevens and cannondale.
    They didn't realy spoke out their prefered brand but they did let me understand very subtle that stevens has a better overall build quality but that for this two models the differences where so little it came to personal preferences.
    For the same price with stevens you have the newest ultegra, shimano cranck, slighter better wheels.
    I liked the colour of the vapor also a lot, just a shame they put the word stevens 300 times on the frame.
    I found an other dealer that had a vapor in pre-order and they could deliver in a few weeks.

Jempi.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    cooldad wrote:
    To those still offering advice, try reading to the end....
    Jempi wrote:

Jempi.

So you went for the Stevens?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • jempi
    So you went for the Stevens?

i did, i live in belgium. Stevens has no dealers in the uk but here its a common brand. They are in cyclocross for 15 years and the last two years sponsor for vanderpoel and sanne cant. I like there no nonsense value for money aproach.
    https://www.stevensbikes.de/2018/index.php?bik_id=11&cou=BE&lang=en_US

Changed tyres to conti 4 seasons and took a 11-25 cassette instead of the standard schwalbe one's and 11-32 cassette. This summer i think i change the 46 crank to 48 or 50.