Can i fit a 34 tooth cassette?

amboman
amboman Posts: 45
edited December 2017 in Road general
Hi i got a gravel bike (giant revolt 2) for chrimbo, it has Sora 9 speed groupset but an FSA sub compact 48t chrankset.
I have a spare 105 11speed groupset with an ultegra gs rear mech
If i wanted to upgrade it to the 11 speed would i be able to use a 11-34 cassette?
Many thanks in advance and happy xmas and new year.

Comments

• chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Shimano say a GS mech goes up to a 32, I’d say you’d probably get away with it.
  • Thank you. Working on the theory it has a sub compact crankset losing 2 teeth on that i think it would be possible but wanted to ask
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    amboman wrote:
    Hi i got a gravel bike (giant revolt 2) for chrimbo, it has Sora 9 speed groupset but an FSA sub compact 48t chrankset.
    If i wanted to upgrade it to the 11 speed would i be able to use a 11-34 cassette?

Ultegra GS maximum sprocket size is 32 teeth.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I have done it with 10 speed 105GS rear mechs on two bike builds . It needed a bit of B screw fiddling before it worked OK.
    The frame / gear hanger have an effect so the only way to find out is to try it.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    amboman wrote:

Ultegra GS maximum sprocket size is 32 teeth.

But it came with 9 spd sora gs rear mech (which shimano say is max 32t) with an 11 -34t cassette fitted.
  • I've seen using longer B screws, flipping the B screw to the other side so it sticks out further, and roadlink https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/roadlink I can't vouch for any of it though.