Hub Gear Hardtail?

stokepa31
stokepa31 Posts: 559
edited December 2017 in MTB buying advice
Ive been away from bikes for a good 4 years. Before i hung up my cleats i used to ride a genesis IO ID alfine hardtail. Ive spent the last few weeks looking through all the manufacturers i can think of but came up with nothing in the hardtail hub gear category. Ive seen a few hybrids but nothing with front sus. Have i missed something or are they just not doing them anymore?

id be happy with 8 speed but 11 is preferred. Rohloff customs are beyond by budget. I dont have easy access to bike shops to get something built so off the peg is preferred

Cheers
Paul
Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
Genesis IO ID
Moda Canon

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I don't think there are any.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A lot of people didn't like the extra weight in the rear hub and the ride feeling it gave, seem to have now all been dropped as RMSC says, you could of course still convert a single speed like an Inbred. With its better rollover I guess a 29er would offset some of the doewnsides people didn't like on 26" bikes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    A lot of people didn't like the extra weight in the rear hub and the ride feeling it gave, seem to have now all been dropped as RMSC says, you could have course still convert a single speed like an Inbred. With its better rollover I guess a 29er would offset some of the doewnsides people didn't like on 26" bikes.

yea i hear you guys and its good to know my google fu still works. Getting a build done will be a big hassle so i think ill look at a 1x as the next best option. So much has changed in the time ive been away. some people even seem to have fitted car tyres to mountain bikes :D
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not car tyres no, just Motocross!

1x is pretty much the norm now for any decent bike (Ok my 29er hardtail is SRAM XVIII - SRAM XX front and SRAM X9 9 speed rear but that's the parts I have lying around FOC to use!), I've used 1x now for about 6 years, starting 1x9 (just an 11:34) and now 1x10 with a wider range cassette.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    Van Nicholas Zion. Take a look at FatBirds...
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Starting at £4.5k is a pretty expensive bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    cooldad wrote:
    Starting at £4.5k is a pretty expensive bike.

Agreed. Guess you could go frame only and build something yourself, but it'll still cost a fair wedge.
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.