Replacing gear cable inners on SRAM shifters

Nick Payne
Nick Payne Posts: 288
edited January 2018 in Workshop
Has anyone been able to feed new gear cable inners through SRAM 11-speed shifters without untaping the bars to get the new cable out of the shifter and into the start of the cable outer? The last two I've tried, the cable sticks at the point where it is exiting the shifter body and entering the cable outer, and I've had to untape the bars to separate the cable outer from shifter body in order to complete the job.

Both times it was with Force 22 shifters. I haven't had the same problem feeding new inners through Compagnolo Ergo shifters.

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Nick Payne wrote:
    Has anyone been able to feed new gear cable inners through SRAM 11-speed shifters without untaping the bars to get the new cable out of the shifter and into the start of the cable outer? The last two I've tried, the cable sticks at the point where it is exiting the shifter body and entering the cable outer, and I've had to untape the bars to separate the cable outer from shifter body in order to complete the job.

Both times it was with Force 22 shifters. I haven't had the same problem feeding new inners through Compagnolo Ergo shifters.

Yes. I always tape the bars leaving room under the hoods to move the cable outer slightly in order to allow the cable inner through. The gear cable turn on SRAM levers is tight at the best of times, so are you sure it simply isn't struggling to make the turn?
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • I have found it hit and miss. Sometimes the inner goes straight in - other times I’ve had to unwrap the bar tape and remove the service panel to get the cable in. Shimano seems much easier......
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    generally not had any issue, if you are you can cheat on the top of the shifter with hood exposed you should notice three screws on a triangular bit of plastic, shown here. Basically it will allow you to more the other enough to help guide the cable in.

1272383327053-13pi3u6duepn0-630-354.jpg

Also for the rear shifter take it up one maybe two gears so the hole is more aligned with the cable entrance hole.
  • Well, I've found the job goes easier with SRAM cables, which are 1.1mm vs the 1.2mm of other brands and generic cables. By using SRAM cables and peeling the rubber hod back so I could see the cable and guide it with a small screwdriver, I was able to get the replacement cable through with everything in place without any problem.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Use sRAM cables for SRAM shifters.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Use sRAM cables for SRAM shifters.

It isn't necessary. I've always used Shimano cable inners and without problem.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    They are smaller - SRAM shifters work better with them. They will work with Shimano but won't be as smooth and the routing is trickier.

SRAM for SRAM.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.