Looking after your 'chap'.

octane.music
octane.music Posts: 12
edited December 2017 in Road general
Hi all!

I'm relatively new to cycling, having taken it up with any seriousness since the end of October. I've been lucky to date somehow, the majority of my outdoor weekend rides have been in the dry. But, this morning I took it upon myself to go for a ride up Shap. The weather here (village 5 miles south of Kendal) was pretty calm, so I thought it was a good idea, but the higher I got, the worse the weather got resulting in strong winds and stinging rain. The wind was actually strong enough to bring me to a dead halt whilst pedalling down the steep bit, it was idiotic TBF.

Now a little further down, I was wet from the waist down (FDX bib leggings) resulting in some rubbing downstairs. This quickly became discomfort then again quickly into a bit of pain. I had to stop a couple of times to rearrange.

Are there any tips (bar vaseline) or products out there to alleviate this? Not had a problem until today, I guess the dampness had made it worse, but I really don't fancy having a sore tummy sausage every time it's wet, especially up here as it's not exactly known for being like California, weather-wise!

Scott

BTW - Merry Christmas all!

Comments

• Chamois creme. Many have aloe vera in them
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Chamois creme. Many have aloe vera in them
    Not sure you are supposed to put chamois crime actually on your old chap... :wink:

PP
  • Pilot Pete wrote:
    Not sure you are supposed to put chamois crime actually on your old chap... :wink:

PP

You can bathe your entire nether regions in it if needed. It stops chafing and sweat rashes etc. It’s perfectly safe and in this case it will help
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Paraffin.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    Pilot Pete wrote:

PP

Actually it can aid sexual performance.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    Paraffin.
    Then set it on fire?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Good smearing of toothpaste

Merry Christmas
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Ralgex
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Jeez you lot are soft ... did Bruce Lee make his hands tougher by using cream on them ??? ... no, he made them tough by sling them repeatedly into a bucket of sand.

Prevention is better than cure ... toughen the old chap up by banging him in a bucket of sand every night for 6 weeks
  • fat daddy wrote:
    Jeez you lot are soft ... did Bruce Lee make his hands tougher by using cream on them ??? ... no, he made them tough by sling them repeatedly into a bucket of sand.

Prevention is better than cure ... toughen the old chap up by banging him in a bucket of sand every night for 6 weeks

Barbed wire and broken glass. That’s for real men.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    fat daddy wrote:
    toughen the old chap up by banging him in a bucket of sand every night for 6 weeks

That properly made me guffaw, fine work sir :D:lol:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • fat daddy wrote:

Is this a description of your ex-wife?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    fat daddy wrote:

Is this a description of your ex-wife?

Every night for six weeks ??? ... hmmm doesn’t like her ... well unless we are talking nagging
  • ChippyK wrote:
    Ralgex
    Ooft! That's harsh. :mrgreen:
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    fat daddy wrote:

Then when you have mastered that,move on to a woman from Stoke on Trent.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Paraffin.
    Then set it on fire?
    Then sling it into next doors garden?
  • So in summary - smear in paraffin, set on fire, add Ralgex to cool (using a nail file to apply), then whack it in the sand.

Gotcha.

Actually, is it worth just putting sand in the Ralgex? 2 birds / 1 stone? :D