Chain Removal/Back on Help

KevinA
KevinA Posts: 492
edited December 2017 in Workshop
Hi Guys

I have just bought an ultrasonic cleaner and took my cassette off and my chain, my chain didnt have a quick release so I had to use the tool to release the pin.

My question is, can I reuse the pin to put the chain back on?

Comments

• bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    KevinA wrote:
    Hi Guys

I have just bought an ultrasonic cleaner and took my cassette off and my chain, my chain didnt have a quick release so I had to use the tool to release the pin.

Not advisable, get a new pin or a quick link.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • KevinA
    KevinA Posts: 492
    bbrap wrote:
    KevinA wrote:
    Hi Guys

Not advisable, get a new pin or a quick link.

Thanks, that what I thought,
  • KevinA wrote:
    Hi Guys

The pins flare when you snap the excess off, it would be difficult / impossible to reuse the old pin anyway. I would use a quick link when you replace the chain, the pin is my preferred choice during good weather, a quick link ( some of which can be reused ) makes life easier at this time of year, IME. I also have an ultrasonic cleaner, and I find it invaluable at this time of year.