Hanger or derailleur

ben@31
ben@31 Posts: 2,327
edited December 2017 in Workshop
Hello,

After a slip, my gears have never been the same.

Certain rear cassette gears are better than others, some are quiet and smooth, especially the easier bigger sprockets, while some are quite noisy with the infamous clicking.
One gear in the middle of the cassette is almost impossible to change down into, you can hear the chain hesitate in-between sprockets for a few seconds or it doesn't change onto this sprocket at all. Bizarrely the chain shifts up onto this sprocket no problem.
My first thought was that the rear hanger was bent. So I replaced it with a new one. But the symptoms are just the same.

Could it be that the derailleur became damaged too or should I look at a hanger alignment tool? Is it possible that even a brand new hanger arrives bent ?
"The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby

Comments

• A hanger alignment tool can not be used to compensate for a damaged derailleur. Have you compared the hangers to each other? Unless there is any obvious damage to the frame I would discount that too. I suspect the derailleur is at fault.
    Do you have a repair stand? Static gear changes would definitely narrow down the problem.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or bad indexing or cruddy cables. Check the easy stuff first.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    ben@31 wrote:
    My first thought was that the rear hanger was bent. So I replaced it with a new one. But the symptoms are just the same.

Could it be that the derailleur became damaged too or should I look at a hanger alignment tool? Is it possible that even a brand new hanger arrives bent ?

A new hanger should still be aligned with a tool once fitted as they are seldom 'spot-on'.

Having said this your symptoms might simply be due to the cable needing replacement....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D