High gear cassette misalignment ?

tonysj
tonysj Posts: 391
edited December 2017 in Workshop
Hi all.
I've just bought second hand a mint very low use ( 15 miles) btwin triban 520 as a winter bike.
Checked it over and adjusted a few things but found on the high gear on the cassette when in the big front and small at the back there is 1 tooth that seems misaligned and catches the chain slightly as it inserts into the chain.
I've check visually and it's noticable this tooth is "slightly" leaning outwards and this is causing the issue. When I turn the wheel on a stand there a slight click as this tooth engages. Question is.

1 should I leave it to wear in.
2 somehow move the tooth inward to align.

If it's 2 how best to tackle it please.

Regards.
Tony.

Comments

• I'd repair this.
    The best way would be to remove the cassette and place it on a flat surface. The extent of the the bend on the offending tooth will become obvious. As would the accuracy of the re-alignment. A pair of locking pliers on the rogue tooth should sort it.
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    gazza1286 wrote:
    I'd repair this.
    The best way would be to remove the cassette and place it on a flat surface. The extent of the the bend on the offending tooth will become obvious. As would the accuracy of the re-alignment. A pair of locking pliers on the rogue tooth should sort it.
    Thanks gazza. I may have to buy one of those wierd spanner tools to remove the locking washer.
    Not ever having checked these cassette tools what do I need to look for. It's a sunpace 9spped cassette with shimano sora 9speed group set so what number of teeth do I need for this one or are they all the same tool.?
    It's probably a dumb question but I really don't know....
    Cheers.
    Tony.
  • All you need to know is covered here:-

https://youtu.be/9KAaP7pbFV0