Campy power torque crank removal?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited December 2017 in Workshop
I need to remove a 2013 Veloce chainset. I already have the Park tool bearing puller and I have bought the plastic guard to put over the crank. The guard cracked and the crank hasn’t moved. I also have the disc that gives the puller something to push against. I have also tried a bit of tyre as an alternative to the plastic guard but no joy. Do I need to fork out for an expensive bearing puller? I want sell the frame so it’s a one time use.
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    How do you mean - you can't get the cranks off?

I have just taken off my Fulcrum power tourque ones - think they the same as yours.

Undo big bolt in the middle
    Take off spring on drive side
    Wiggle off drive side
    Wiggle off nds

If you can't wiggle it off get a rubber mallet and something rubber covered (e.g. The end of the long Allen key in the link below) and from the inside tap as close to the base of the crank as you can. Rotate the crank for even lifting.

Repeat for other side.

Alternatively, feed a long screwdriver through from the side you have taken off then tap it free.

Be gentle - don't get a persuader and smash it to bits.

The bearings are pressed to the cranks, all that will be left on the frame are the bearing cups. Unscrew these sing the tool in the link below.

https://www.merlincycles.com/bbb-btl-38 ... 64659.html
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • How do you mean - you can't get the cranks off?

I have just taken off my Fulcrum power tourque ones - think they the same as yours.

Fulcrum cranks are Ultra Torque only - a much easier system to get the cranks out.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    How do you mean - you can't get the cranks off?

Fulcrum cranks are Ultra Torque only - a much easier system to get the cranks out.

Ahhh - cool. Thank you for confirming.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I wanted the frame but not the chainset. I have access to a car repair workshop with all sorts of gear and bearing pullers. The force to remove the non drive crank was crazy. The puller used has never been challenged by a car as it was by that chainset.
    Sell the chainset with the frame. The last thing you want is one of those f**king chainsets on a bike you own.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    power torque has some advantages i.e very reliable BB's but you do need the correct too to remove the chainset attempts are bodging can end in failure and I would not bother. take it to a good LBS they should have the tools.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    You could try a freeze action penetrant spray. eg http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/rust-removal-treatment/halfords-shock-unlock-spray-400ml#.
    Load the puller as tight as possible, then spray copious amounts into the spindle area. The freeze action shrinks/shocks the part allowing easier removal.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    power torque has some advantages i.e very reliable BB's but you do need the correct too to remove the chainset attempts are bodging can end in failure and I would not bother. take it to a good LBS they should have the tools.
    Which tool do you use?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo