Tubeless & CO2

2»

Comments

• swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    slowhand44 wrote:
    Thanks for all the advice and opinions. I have ended up buying an Airshot to complement my track pump.

How much did you pay for it, interested if there's some deals out there on them?
  • swod1 wrote:
    slowhand44 wrote:
    Thanks for all the advice and opinions. I have ended up buying an Airshot to complement my track pump.

How much did you pay for it, interested if there's some deals out there on them?

£49.99 from Evans, but I had a voucher.
    "There's a way of transferring funds that is even faster than electronic banking. It's called marriage."
    James Holt McGavran
  • slowhand44 wrote:
    swod1 wrote:
    slowhand44 wrote:

£49.99 from Evans, but I had a voucher.

Not a bad investment but did you try without ???

Most of my tyre/rim combo's work with a track-pump... (some fairy and taking the valve out)
    I rarely have to resort to the lemonade bottle and then only on a few combinations that are not really ideal anyway (regardless of seating them) ... like fitting narrow tyres on wide rims or the opposite.

That said having an airshock would probably make the whole thing easier ... or less uncertain
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Sorry for hijack but what is the volume of the airshot?

I'm wondering if an aluminium water bottle
    , which are dead cheap, could be modified except largest size seems to be 1l.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Not sure I'd trust an uncertified aluminium container to be holding significant pressure, but others may tell me I'm paranoid.

At least coke bottles etc are designed to hold a decent pressure and whilst failure is possible they are not shedding shards of metal at you.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Yes, good point. The Al bottles I'm looking at are for water or fuel so no pressure at all.

And old fire extinguisher would be ideal.
  • 02GF74 wrote:
    Yes, good point. The Al bottles I'm looking at are for water or fuel so no pressure at all.

And old fire extinguisher would be ideal.

You don't need that much pressure to need a fire extinguisher.
    I'm just using (when needed) a 1L pop bottle (15p filled with Morrisons cheapest lemonade)

I wrapped some tape around it (just as an extra) and have 2 valves with cores removed in the lid sealed with some bath sealant.

Seating a 2.5" tyre it never needs to be above 40psi in a 1L bottle.... I just fold and pinch the connecting tube (from a fish tank place) and pump one handed .(warm it up to get it over the valve) .. let go and whoomf
    However it's only a few combo's ever need this ... the kid has a wire bead 2.5" DH tyre that did for example but I only use that tyre because 24" tyres are very restricted in choice.

When mounted and seated on one side with a tube I then took out I couldn't even pull the wire bead (using a dental pick) ... but it still inflated and sealed with the 1L@<40 psi

I guess 29er you can get a 1.5L coke bottle....