Tacx Flux or Elite Direto

jameshulsk
jameshulsk Posts: 22
I've decided it's time to get a smart turbo and I've narrowed it down to the two above. Does anyone have a view on whether one is significantly better than the other? Apologies if this is covered elsewhere! Thanks.

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,611
    Loads of reliability issues reported here and elsewhere for the Flux. Virtually none thus far for the Direto as far as I'm aware (although it's still relatively newly available).

Now that the Direto is available at a fair bit less than RRP (around £600 if you hunt about and use discount codes and TCB) it seems a bit of a no brainer to me.
  • Thanks for the advice. Do you find that the Elite works well with Zwift/TrainerRoad?
  • sh3p
    sh3p Posts: 98
    Had 2 flux smart trainers 1st went back after 6weeks,2nd never made it past setting up, fortunately bought from LBS so no real hassle with the initial exchange and subsequent refund...I looked at the Elite Direto, but opted for the cycleops Hammer in the halfords sale, coupled with BC discount made it in reach cost wise.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Get the direto.
    Works perfectly with trainerroad and zwift.

Best value for money smart trainer.
  • Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. Last question, where would I look for discount codes on this sort of thing? :?:
  • redvision
    JamesHulsk wrote:
    where would I look for discount codes on this sort of thing? :?:

Just sign up to newsletters with stores that sell the direto. There may be some offers in the post xmas/ new year sales.

Alternatively, http://www.clevertraining.co.uk/elite-d ... ng-trainer
    Use code DCR10BTF and you will get 10% off.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Flux is fine for me... 2k miles and rising with no issues whatsoever. Links with zwift et al fine. Got it from my LBS who matched internet prices and set it up for me properly. I suspect that either will fit your needs admirably...
  • I’ve been considering the same but with a wahoo snap thrown in. I joined a few owners sites on FB and the flux group shouts out don’t buy one. I know a lot of folk only post when it’s goes wrong but it seems every other flux sold fails.

The elite is very new so perhaps it’s too early to tell but it seems very good. I’m just waiting for some stores to get them in stock and then ask my LBS to price match. It all depends on how generous people are next Monday!
  • The Rover wrote:
    I’ve been considering the same but with a wahoo snap thrown in.

I highly recommend the Kickr Snap and it's maybe worth pointing out a rarely mentioned benefit of the Snap vs even the best direct drive trainers: it is the quietest trainer out there. Certainly quieter than the Kickr and equal to a Neo, both of which I've used. I've read the Direto has an annoying whine.

Noise level wasn't an issue for me but it's a nice side benefit. With a vittoria trainer tyre you hear only the transmission and your fan!

I also like the over engineered build quality and the fact it's a well proven and recently improved unit.
  • I've been looking at direct drive only really because I wanted to avoid having to replace the rear wheel every time I train (I'm currently a single bike owner and failing miserably at the n+1 rule). Have they sorted the sketchy power recording on the Snap?
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I'm on the facebook group for the flux and got the impression that it was one batch of serial numbers that were at fault, so I went out and got a flux, making sure it was one of the "good" serial numbers.

9 hours of use and a few hundred miles and I had to return it to Tacx as it started making grinding noises. It was replaced with no issues and my new one seems okay for the moment. It's a lot more noisy than my previous one, so I think it's going to fail again at some point.

When it works, it's a brilliant piece of kit. It's quiet enough, the resistance changes very well in Zwift and it has a decent amount and it's nice and stable. If Tacx could sort the reliability issues, I would be recommending it 100%, but because they are very hit and miss. I'd recommend the Direto.
  • redvision

it is the quietest trainer out there. Certainly quieter than the Kickr and equal to a Neo, both of which I've used.

But it really isn't.
    The snap is a good trainer (albeit with questionable power readings) but it's significantly louder than the others. Were you using it in the same room as the neo and kickr?

The direto isn't quiet but is a far nicer noise than the whine of the kickr 2.

The neo is pretty much silent and the flux isn't much louder in all honesty.

https://youtu.be/4aGICkxSdsk
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    I have a Flux, heard about the reliability issues so bought from LBS who got close enough to online offers. Its been really great so far, and certainly improved my enthusiasm for getting on the turbo.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    The Rover wrote:
    I’ve been considering the same but with a wahoo snap thrown in. I joined a few owners sites on FB and the flux group shouts out don’t buy one. I know a lot of folk only post when it’s goes wrong but it seems every other flux sold fails.

The elite is very new so perhaps it’s too early to tell but it seems very good. I’m just waiting for some stores to get them in stock and then ask my LBS to price match. It all depends on how generous people are next Monday!

The Snap isn't even a comparison as its a wheel on trainer. Both the Flux and the Direto are wheel off direct drive trainers.

The Direto is excellent and gives some of the higher end direct drive trainers a run for their money. With a power accuracy claimed at 2.5%, it beats the Flux hands down and even more so when you read that testers estimate it to be more like 1% or better accuracy. Its a stable platform for out of the saddle sprints, but you do need a wheel block to raise the front up. Or use a thick book. Some testers are using it as their every day trainer over the top end Neo, Kickr and Drivo its that good.

It'll connect to Zwift, TrainerRoad, Sufferfest etc etc.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • I'm still waiting for a dispatch e-mail from PBK for my Direto, I want it before Xmas, having agonised for weeks about what to get and ordering one at the weekend. :(
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • redvision
    I'm still waiting for a dispatch e-mail from PBK for my Direto, I want it before Xmas, having agonised for weeks about what to get and ordering one at the weekend. :(

It will be worth the wait as it's awesome.

Being pbk, if you want delivery before xmas it might be worth a phone call to speed them up though.
  • JamesHulsk wrote:
    Have they sorted the sketchy power recording on the Snap?

Yes, it seems that it was a firmware issue.
  • redvision wrote:
    The snap is a good trainer (albeit with questionable power readings) but it's significantly louder than the others.

I don't mean to over-defend the Snap but in the same room as a Kickr the Snap was significantly less noisy than the whining Kickr. Shane Miller raves about this very benefit.

I realise that this thread is discussing direct drive types not wheel-on but as someone mentioned on this thread that they were considering a snap, I thought it was worth sharing.

I was about to press the button on a Flux in fact but the Snap was superior in a few ways, not least reliability.
  • redvision
    redvision wrote:
    The snap is a good trainer (albeit with questionable power readings) but it's significantly louder than the others.

I don't mean to over-defend the Snap but in the same room as a Kickr the Snap was significantly less noisy than the whining Kickr. Shane Miller raves about this very benefit.

I realise that this thread is discussing direct drive types not wheel-on but as someone mentioned on this thread that they were considering a snap, I thought it was worth sharing.

I was about to press the button on a Flux in fact but the Snap was superior in a few ways, not least reliability.

That's fine but you claimed the snap was as quiet as the neo when it isn't. No trainer is.

The snap might be quieter than the kickr, although when I had both the snap was definitely louder.
    Both are louder than the direto, flux and neo.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,572
    I was hard set on the Flux, but after joining the FB group, and seeing all of the issues, it was just too much of a risk for me, so I forked out an extra £300 (Which I deemed worthwhile for the reduction in hassle of having to package items up to return, and either drive them somewhere or wait in for courier collection, aside from being without a trainer for x weeks) and plumped for a Neo for £865 - had Amazono not some through with the delivery sooner than they had estimated, I could have bagged one for less than £750 - but there you go, you win some you lose some.
    Post referendum, I knew prices were only going one way, so felt it was just too much of a risk to take, glad I did now.

If the Direto is as good as people say, then it seems like a good option over the Flux imho.

I very nearly bought a Drivo, could have had one of them for £750, as at the time Evans would pricematch Athleteshop - not anymore though.

Very happy with my Neo though, no issues so far, some 8 months or so in, solid bit of kit, and generally gets used for 7 hours a week.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • redvision wrote:

Thanks for the info re the snap. I get discounts via a scheme from work and I can get one for £425.
    I need to double check tomorrow but I should be able to pick up a direto for £595.

I know they’re different types of trainers so need to decide on my budget although I’m leaning towards the direto. :mrgreen:
  • StillGoing
    The Rover wrote:
    redvision wrote:

Thanks for the info re the snap. I get discounts via a scheme from work and I can get one for £425.
    I need to double check tomorrow but I should be able to pick up a direto for £595.

I know they’re different types of trainers so need to decide on my budget although I’m leaning towards the direto. :mrgreen:

Direct drive is much better than wheel on. No slippage, better power accuracy, no spare wheel or tyre spray up the wall and on the floor.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Flux is fine for me... 2k miles and rising with no issues whatsoever. Links with zwift et al fine. Got it from my LBS who matched internet prices and set it up for me properly. I suspect that either will fit your needs admirably...
    No issues at all with my Flux, very pleased with it, as Mikey says either will do what you want
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    philthy3 wrote:
    Some testers are using it as their every day trainer over the top end Neo, Kickr and Drivo its that good.

If this is the case, it'd be a very powerful endorsement of the Direto.

What specific reasons are they giving for favouring it over those other three?

NB If they already have one or more of the other trainers sat there, available to them, then we're removing price from the equation and looking solely at what it is, qualitatively, that's drawing them to the Direto in preference to the others.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Got the Direto a month back. Had been set to get the Flux but then Direto came out and reviews were all excellent.
    Haven't actually used it yet as have been in middle of an extension and new bike room not finished yet. Hopefully will finally test it out on Sunday.
  • StillGoing
    rdt wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    Some testers are using it as their every day trainer over the top end Neo, Kickr and Drivo its that good.

If this is the case, it'd be a very powerful endorsement of the Direto.

What specific reasons are they giving for favouring it over those other three?

NB If they already have one or more of the other trainers sat there, available to them, then we're removing price from the equation and looking solely at what it is, qualitatively, that's drawing them to the Direto in preference to the others.

See the Shane Miller reviews. https://youtu.be/sKd_hbGHXng
    https://youtu.be/cNhwva_6Mss
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    Across all the smart trainers, no obvious stand-out winner from Mr Miller so far as I can tell :

https://gplama.blogspot.co.uk/p/indoor- ... plama.html

Means you can't go too far wrong.
  • redvision
    rdt wrote:
    Across all the smart trainers, no obvious stand-out winner from Mr Miller so far as I can tell :

Don't forget though, like DCR, Shane can't publicly favour a particular product over another.
  • StillGoing
    rdt wrote:

What he clearly says in the videos is that the Direto has been his trainer of choice for x time. He also says his wife has clocked up 400kms using it.