Transporting a carbon bike

Jerry Tracy
Jerry Tracy Posts: 5
edited December 2017 in Workshop
Just got my first carbon bike, a new Synapse, and I'm trying to figure out how to transport it since it has a through axle and my old bike was a dropout. I used a fork mount to transport my old bike but since it was a dropout, I'm going to have to make a new tube and pedestal to allow the through axle to fit but my concern is clamping the carbon fork to a metal tube. Do they make a fork mount/pedestal specifically for carbon forks?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    edited December 2017
    I'm guessing your old bike had carbon forks and that the new forks probably also clamps to a 'metal' hub when the wheel is fitted - so I don't see the issue?
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    edited December 2017
    @ Imposter: his new bike has TAs not QRs

@ OP: Good point - something I'd not considered before. I wonder how TA frames are delivered to LBSs - presumably some sort of hollow fork spacer that the TA passses through?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Imposter wrote:
    I'm guessing your old bike had carbon forks and that the new forks probably also clamps to a 'metal' hub when the wheel is fitted - so I don't see the issue?
    No my old bike was aluminum. Only the left fork has a metal insert for the threads, the other side is just carbon. Thats my concern. Plus the threaded insert is small and doesn't give hardly any material to clamp to.
  • Those look more like a protective device then a transporting device. And of course its made for 15mm axles and mine are 12.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Imposter wrote:
    No my old bike was aluminum. Only the left fork has a metal insert for the threads, the other side is just carbon. Thats my concern. Plus the threaded insert is small and doesn't give hardly any material to clamp to.

Carbon dropouts routinely get clamped to an aluminium wheel hub with no issues - that's the point I'm making. There's no issue in clamping carbon to metal.
  • Okay I see what your saying.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    gazza1286 wrote:

I have one of these...100% recommendation. Suitable for thru axle an QR and also comes with spacers / adapters for different size axle

Bike now stands upright in the back of my 4x4 with a seatbelt or two bungees , one either side to keep it upright .....It has made life easier transporting and protects the forks