SPOTY 2017

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Why did Peacock come third? Out of nowhere IMHO.

Doesn't seem that surprising to me? Was on Strictly and was popular there, came across well - stayed in longer than his dancing skill perhaps merited. He is pretty well known.

I'm more surprised about Rea since I had to Google him to find out what he actually does (very impressive apparently).
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Why did Peacock come third? Out of nowhere IMHO.

Doesn't seem that surprising to me? Was on Strictly and was popular there, came across well - stayed in longer than his dancing skill perhaps merited. He is pretty well known.

I'm more surprised about Rea since I had to Google him to find out what he actually does (very impressive apparently).
    This is basically just another shiny floor reality TV show. The people who vote for them are largely the same. So they vote for one they know from another show,

Rea had a big campaign behind him just to get nominated and that continued - happily for my 15/1 bet (I didn’t see Farah coming though)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Rea was part of a kind of campaign. I've seen it reported in a biker mag online. It's not yearly surprising to me. He's a star in his sport with a big following added to a sport's best hope to win it. Hence the campaign.

Peacock isn't a big name of you don't follow strictly or athletics. Froome is a bigger name as is kane, konya, Hamilton, Joshua, Farah and even Peaty IMHO.
  • RichN95.
    The show itself I find insufferably smug and self-important, so I don't watch it, but I continue to be fascinated by the voting. It's an object lesson in democracy being about getting the vote out rather than the merit of the candidate. Cavendish knew this when he won. He campaigned for it like a pro. The week before he was on every TV or radio show that would have him

Kane got 18,000 votes. That's less than the attendance at every Premiership ground and most Championship ones. Over ten (maybe twenty) times more people paid £20 to watch Joshua fight than voted for him.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,591
    CarbonClem wrote:
    It was a beatles track and it wasn't Oasis. Oasis didn't exist as a band. It was Noel with his high flying birds.

Beatles was chosen because they're in Liverpool for the SPOTY 17 show. Is there any more appropriate Liverpool band to cover? BTW on such shows the entertainment usually only do covers not their own tracks.

How about a singer or band that came from a Liverpool and not a Manc?

Is there a high profile Liverpool act with a mainstream following right now? I can’t think of one.

Noel G is a good choice, serious artist, mainstream and has made no secret of his admiration for The Beatles. They got a drummer from the La’s Too.

So this famous city with a rich musical history couldn’t produce a singer or band of any notoriety to perform a cover song?

One that’s current, fits the criteria and has an album and arena tour to promote? No.

Unless you know one? :)
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    CarbonClem wrote:
    One that’s current, fits the criteria and has an album and arena tour to promote? No.

Unless you know one? :)

well Paul McCartney was clearly busy, has a song in the top 40 at the moment,so are the Lightning Seeds still going ?

alternatively might we question what was the point of the musical interlude in the first place and therefore decide actually we dont need a flipping band in the first place to sit in a review of sporting achievement in the year show, its about reviewing the year as an awards show, its not meant to be a shindig to sing songs and promote albums or wheel Eddie Butler out for his once a year speaking all seriously reading a poem voice.
  • If everybody who voted had their full 4, less than 150,00 could be arsed.
    Shows how little interest there is outside the BBC for this vacuous nonsense.
    I haven't watched in years.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Shocking decision, why are the most deserving always overlooked?

It should've been Kerry Katona covering Cilla Black.
  • It should have been both Gallagher brothers, forced to do a rolling stones number (I'm too young to know but I'm guessing they're kind of the blur vs oasis battle of the bands of their day). All while wearing a Man United top.

Imagine the pain to their psyche over that! Plus anyone at the event or watching on TV will also suffer from two talentless brothers playing something beyond their abilities! :D

Add in the entertainment you get from a Gallagher spat. As a copper once said to me, you don't rush in to break up a fight but wait til it's finished then arrest the one still standing. I wonder which Gallagher that would be?

Anyway, the event was dull so anything to liven it up, even a manc covering a 'pool band.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    thegibdog wrote:
    Shocking decision, why are the most deserving always overlooked?

It should've been Kerry Katona covering Cilla Black.
    ooof, people wouldn't want that, no way.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    I'm not so sure Farah would have won. reminds me a bit of when Kelly Holmes won it. a bit of a non event. his coach was fuming at the end because of how shambolic his whole demeanour was, also his suit didn't fit... (his coach is radcliffes ex coach who sounds like a complete idiot)...
  • philbar72 wrote:
    I'm not so sure Farah would have won. reminds me a bit of when Kelly Holmes won it. a bit of a non event. his coach was fuming at the end because of how shambolic his whole demeanour was, also his suit didn't fit... (his coach is radcliffes ex coach who sounds like a complete idiot)...

But...he...did
  • bobmcstuff
    edited December 2017
    Rea was part of a kind of campaign. I've seen it reported in a biker mag online. It's not yearly surprising to me. He's a star in his sport with a big following added to a sport's best hope to win it. Hence the campaign.

Peacock isn't a big name of you don't follow strictly or athletics. Froome is a bigger name as is kane, konya, Hamilton, Joshua, Farah and even Peaty IMHO.

I guess by big name you mean big in the sport? Because in terms of their wider "media presence" that's not really true.

The Strictly finale had 13.1 million viewers, which is far in excess of the most popular paralympic events (peaked at 2m), and certainly more than any cycling events. I hear this football thing is quite a big deal but I can;t say I know much about Kane's presence outside of the game itself. I doubt superbikes gets anything like that viewership.

Also Jonnie's been good value on other TV e.g., the Last Leg. Add to that the more extensive newspaper coverage of Strictly and it's easy to see how Sunday evening primetime viewers are likely to have heard of Peacock.

Edited for factual accuracy :D
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    To anyone who watched - was Froome grilled about his recent adverse analytical finding and subsequent troubles? One of the papers was suggesting the Beeb was not going to shy away from this...

The BBC news app had a video headline saying "Did someone pull the plug as Mo wins SPOTY". When I tried to watch the clip it tells me "Sorry, this video is not currently available". :lol:
  • RichN95.
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    (peak Tour viewers this year was 7.3 million)
    Not in Britain it wasn't. One million at best.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,732
    Glad Mo has won it, there was always a suspicion that Brits didn't warm to him because they didn't really see him as British, maybe there was a bit of that but I think this mostly puts it to bed.

Must admit I had no idea who the paralympic guy was or the motorbike racer and while I knew we had a champion TKD woman I think I'd combined the achievements of her and the other one into one person.

My vote would have gone to Peaty because he is so dominant and he has links to my home town or Elise Christie because she seems a good sort and she must have been so gutted after those multiple DQs at the Olympics she has an unending supply of sympathy for that.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • bobmcstuff
    RichN95 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    (peak Tour viewers this year was 7.3 million)
    Not in Britain it wasn't. One million at best.

My bad, you're quite right. That was the total figures.
  • Everyone I know who watch strictly have the view that a lot of celeb contestants are unknown to them. There's that corrie actor or former eastenders actor or that sports guy. They don't really know or care about how they got famous.

Seriously how many strictly fans are going to really know what great performances Peacock has given other than on strictly? Also are they likely to be interested in SPOTY? My mostly female family members who are into strictly are not into sport of any kind. Not enough to vote on SPOTY.

I might be very wrong but how much of an impact would strictly have? Froome has reached main news a few times. More Farah has been in the public eye a lot. Joshua has too because his story has a good ring to it.

It's wrong in a way to have a personality competition IMHO BBC should have a sports performance award not personality. Not that this really is. Mansell won twice. Damon Hill won twice. IIRC a snooker guy won too without much personality any him. It just feels to me that this award should be decided without the public vote. Let ppl who truly know sport as in the wider range of sports. It could really do good by promoting minority sports if someone without a public presence won.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,471
    shazzz wrote:
    To anyone who watched - was Froome grilled about his recent adverse analytical finding and subsequent troubles? One of the papers was suggesting the Beeb was not going to shy away from this...

The BBC news app had a video headline saying "Did someone pull the plug as Mo wins SPOTY". When I tried to watch the clip it tells me "Sorry, this video is not currently available". :lol:

Yes, he was. I heard it briefly on the radio and he was making the point that it related to excess use of medication he's used for years. He seemed to deal with it quite well from the bit I heard. Hamilton wasn't questioned about his tax avoidance schemes though.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,471
    Everyone I know who watch strictly have the view that a lot of celeb contestants are unknown to them. There's that corrie actor or former eastenders actor or that sports guy. They don't really know or care about how they got famous.

Seriously how many strictly fans are going to really know what great performances Peacock has given other than on strictly? Also are they likely to be interested in SPOTY? My mostly female family members who are into strictly are not into sport of any kind. Not enough to vote on SPOTY.

I might be very wrong but how much of an impact would strictly have? Froome has reached main news a few times. More Farah has been in the public eye a lot. Joshua has too because his story has a good ring to it.

It's wrong in a way to have a personality competition IMHO BBC should have a sports performance award not personality. Not that this really is. Mansell won twice. Damon Hill won twice. IIRC a snooker guy won too without much personality any him. It just feels to me that this award should be decided without the public vote. Let ppl who truly know sport as in the wider range of sports. It could really do good by promoting minority sports if someone without a public presence won.

I would hazard a guess that people who vote for SPOTY are generally more likely to be people who vote on Strictly, The X Factor or I'm A Celebrity than a hard core sports fan who will stand for hours in the rain to watch a bunch of blokes in garish lycra fly past them in seconds or avidly tune in to Eurosport for a bit of speed skating. It's just an entertainment programme with a sports theme.
  • Pross wrote:
    Everyone I know who watch strictly have the view that a lot of celeb contestants are unknown to them. There's that corrie actor or former eastenders actor or that sports guy. They don't really know or care about how they got famous.

I would hazard a guess that people who vote for SPOTY are generally more likely to be people who vote on Strictly, The X Factor or I'm A Celebrity than a hard core sports fan who will stand for hours in the rain to watch a bunch of blokes in garish lycra fly past them in seconds or avidly tune in to Eurosport for a bit of speed skating. It's just an entertainment programme with a sports theme.

The vote for the second place wasn't that sort of vote at all. It's a sign of the incredible support for motorcycle racing from the Northern Irish community. Remember that this is a nation that voted George Best their Second-best sportsman ever - behind (appropriately) Joey Dunlop.

This is another of those threads that makes me smile like the music ones. If you don't agree then everyone else's choice is shit. How does Rea NOT deserve to be runner up if he's a three time consecutive World Champion and one of the most dominant riders of his era in that form of the event? I could handle arguments about "it's not the pinnacle - that's MotoGP" etc. but not just "he's doesn't deserve it because he was the subject of a campaign". If he's engendered the support of a nation for himself and his sport then he deserves it! The fact that the others haven't speaks volumes about sports coverage in the media (as others have mentioned) and their own failings, not his.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • RichN95.
    This is another of those threads that makes me smile like the music ones. If you don't agree then everyone else's choice is shoot. How does Rea NOT deserve to be runner up if he's a three time consecutive World Champion and one of the most dominant riders of his era in that form of the event? I could handle arguments about "it's not the pinnacle - that's MotoGP" etc. but not just "he's doesn't deserve it because he was the subject of a campaign". If he's engendered the support of a nation for himself and his sport then he deserves it! The fact that the others haven't speaks volumes about sports coverage in the media (as others have mentioned) and their own failings, not his.
    It's more that a sport with a sizeable passionate following that feels that it is under represented in the media got it's moment in the sun and made the most of it. And good for them. It's happened before with Kevin Sinfield (rugby league) and Phil Taylor (darts) both of whom also came second. It used to be a bit like this for cycling when Hoy won - Cycling Weekly ran a campaign. But now someone's nominated every year so they don't feel neglected so there will never be such a push for Froome (puffer or no puffer) and probably not for a Kenny either

I think Rea on the podium was less unexpected than Farah winning
  • Why is it so surprising that Farah won? Curious as I live in France and sometimes feel a bit cut off from British pop sentiment.

Froome did far better than I expected. Makes you wonder if he might have been in with a chance if someone hadn’t leaked his AAF. On the other hand, any publicity may be good publicity for SPOTY purposes.
  • RichN95.
    Why is it so surprising that Farah won? Curious as I live in France and sometimes feel a bit cut off from British pop sentiment.
    I think because he'd never come close before while winning two gold medals, so it was hard to see him doing so with just one. He was about 40/1 with the bookies.
  • You're right about rea being at the peak in his sporting discipline, but that's why I think they should take the public out of it. Let serious sports journalists, coaches, athletes, etc decide. I would respect his second place more if there had not been a campaign.

Perhaps create a sporting academy. All past SPOTY winners and selected / invited journos. Add in selected coaches with a good rep. Let those in the business someway vote.

Whatever the reason, winning it or placing after a concerted lobby attempt or other attempt to try to rig it is not ideal. It throws into question validity.

Also the argument against Rea would be against what I personally value of a sporting award. Namely that it's a personality not an achievement alone award. I don't think he has a widely known public persona.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    He does amongst racing fans. And a nice guy as well.

As long as you're not in front of him on the track.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Why is it so surprising that Farah won? Curious as I live in France and sometimes feel a bit cut off from British pop sentiment.
    I think because he'd never come close before while winning two gold medals, so it was hard to see him doing so with just one. He was about 40/1 with the bookies.

Perhaps Mrs Farah laid some £££ down at those odds - will help cover her hefty mobile bill that will land next month.... ;-)
  • bobmcstuff
    This is another of those threads that makes me smile like the music ones. If you don't agree then everyone else's choice is shoot. How does Rea NOT deserve to be runner up if he's a three time consecutive World Champion and one of the most dominant riders of his era in that form of the event? I could handle arguments about "it's not the pinnacle - that's MotoGP" etc. but not just "he's doesn't deserve it because he was the subject of a campaign". If he's engendered the support of a nation for himself and his sport then he deserves it! The fact that the others haven't speaks volumes about sports coverage in the media (as others have mentioned) and their own failings, not his.

I have no issue with Rea coming second at all, but the bolded argument that he should come second because he's dominant in a particular sport doesn't seem to make much sense as there are plenty of athletes who dominate a sport but never win SPOTY - as a random example Rachel Atherton has dominated women's DH for the last few years but isn't mentioned (also I hear Froome's won a few things recently). There are probably many other examples.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,193
    RichN95 wrote:

Show how ridiculous SPOTY is that Farah was at odds so long; he is easily one of the top 5 UK sportspeople operating on the world stage, along with Peaty (unbeatable) and (dare I say it) Froome.
  • BTW how do you rate a sport with several versions of it. For example f1, rallying, touring car, etc. Or moto gp, speed cross, speedway, etc.

In motorbike racing, which world champion is the best? Is comparing them any different from comparing other top flight athletes? Say road and track cyclists, flat and steeplechase jockeys, tennis and table tennis, etc.

Is it considered easier to win a World championship in one motorbike discipline than a tour de France cyclist to win in that GT?

If Rea is racing in a discipline that's not seen as the pinnacle of motorcycle racing then does that mean he's a big fish in a small pond? Would he rate as high on the top rung? That's it it's true to say that if course.

Devils advocate as I don't have any interest in motorised sports.