SPOTY 2017

specialgueststar
specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
edited December 2018 in Pro race
C'mon CHRIS!! One last blast

25395779_1758613384159254_4949222158456254939_n.jpg?oh=15b9927a1eb73e7a09353a1142895893&oe=5AD7A0E9

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I wouldn't put it past the British public to mischieviously vote for him just to see what happens. Joshua will win though.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    Peaty should win - but won't
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    I'd never heard of 5 of these people :shock:
  • RichN95.
    joe2008 wrote:
    And therein lies the fundamental flaw with the award. The general public can't possible compare people they barely know, so the most famous one usually ends up winning. Ultimately it's just a TV show to fill in for Strictly.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    RichN95 wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:
    And therein lies the fundamental flaw with the award. The general public can't possible compare people they barely know, so the most famous one usually ends up winning. Ultimately it's just a TV show to fill in for Strictly.

Sad to say that I'd only heard of one of the others because he was on Strictly (my girls love it)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    RichN95 wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:

And with that in mind Peacock may well win after his recent time on Strictly. I'd like to see Peaty win on his performances but also as they just showed the way he gave away a medal to a child in the hope it may inspire her.

Froome will be nearer the bottom than the top.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    C'mon CHRIS!! One last blast

25395779_1758613384159254_4949222158456254939_n.jpg?oh=15b9927a1eb73e7a09353a1142895893&oe=5AD7A0E9

On the inhaler?
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    joe2008 wrote:

I've heard of Lewis Hamilton, he's a car driver and Mohammed Farah, he runs as well as Christopher Froome, who rides a bike.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    Joshua.
  • RichN95.
    I'm not watching it, but I had a bet on Rea to make the podium as he has a campaign behind him.
  • rick_chasey
    Also, short track speed skating.

I mean, christ.

Resembles takeshi's castle more than an actual sport.
  • RichN95.
    Also, short track speed skating.

I mean, christ.

Resembles takeshi's castle more than an actual sport.
    Steven Bradbury winning an Olympic Gold medal for not falling over is one of the great sporting moments.

I notice on Twitter that not being properly British or living in Monaco is still held as a greater black mark than overdosing on ventolin
  • RichN95 wrote:
    I wouldn't put it past the British public to mischieviously vote for him just to see what happens. Joshua will win though.

I certainly have...

I preferred it in the old days, when people wrote in and campaigns for truly left-field candidates were rife. Wasn't there about a five year-period where Bob Nudd (angler, looked like he'd come to mend your shed) annually garnered thousands of votes that were ignored because angling wasn't a sport?

Typical bloody Oasis - yet another song that sounds like they've nicked it from the Beatles.
  • RichN95.
    I preferred it in the old days, when people wrote in and campaigns for truly left-field candidates were rife. Wasn't there about a five year-period where Bob Nudd (angler, looked like he'd come to mend your shed) annually garnered thousands of votes that were ignored because angling wasn't a sport?
    He actually got the most votes in 1991. But it was discounted as an Angling magazine had run a campaign (compete with voting form printed in their magazine)
    Typical bloody Oasis - yet another song that sounds like they've nicked it from the Beatles.
    Or Ricky Martin in the case of a recent one
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    RichN95 wrote:
    I'm not watching it, but I had a bet on Rea to make the podium as he has a campaign behind him.

Strong regional support always seems important in these things...

Ultimately there are only 2 sporting events which matter

100 m sprint
    Heavyweight Champion of the World.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    Has Andy Murray won yet? I watching the Isle of Man on BBC2
  • It was a beatles track and it wasn't Oasis. Oasis didn't exist as a band. It was Noel with his high flying birds.

Beatles was chosen because they're in Liverpool for the SPOTY 17 show. Is there any more appropriate Liverpool band to cover? BTW on such shows the entertainment usually only do covers not their own tracks.

Joshua was the last one up on the lead in bit before they went to votes that usually means he's favourite. If he doesn't win then Hamilton will. Motorsports tend to do well. Most of the main multiple SPOTY winners are from motorsports. Mansell, Hill. But Murray has three wins. Boxing does well over the years. Lennox Lewis, our 'enry, Calzaghe IIRC.

Overall I think boxing, motorsports and athletics probably account for most of the awards.

So who represents those? Joshua, Hamilton and Morgan Farah. I think it's one of those and the order is possibly right. Although I think Farah will only get 4th place at most. Froome is nowhere. Cycling has had Tommy Simpson and Wiggins. Hmmm! Froome to be added to that list? If it happens could there be comments about SPOTY and cycling not being their only link? If you get my meaning.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    My guess, Joshua should win, he has a personality, Froome will be near or at the bottom, Peacock will do well.
    (that will all be wrong now)
  • rick_chasey
    33/1 shock!

Joshua at 1/8 not even top 3!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited December 2017
    I take it back, it will go to a bloke that struggles to say quorn.

Edit: Fortunate the feed cut off there, he's barely more articulate than a two year old anyway.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:
    What did I tell you. Democracy isn't about merit, it's about mobilising the electorate.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Brexit, Trump, Debbie robbed, Spoty...It's the fooking Russian hackers!
  • It was a beatles track and it wasn't Oasis. Oasis didn't exist as a band. It was Noel with his high flying birds.

Beatles was chosen because they're in Liverpool for the SPOTY 17 show. Is there any more appropriate Liverpool band to cover? BTW on such shows the entertainment usually only do covers not their own tracks.

How about a singer or band that came from a Liverpool and not a Manc?
  • More Farah has won.

Well my comment 7 minutes ago was wrong. Joshua, Hamilton then Farah. It's Farah first who's second and third? A biker and a runner.

Well the biker had a campaign behind him. Why did Peacock come third? Out of nowhere IMHO.

BTW I kind of dislike the campaign idea. Shame they can't ban anyone backed by a campaign. Really was backed by a motorbike racing mag i believe. At least Farah won on purely being a personality, good athlete and a positive role model. No campaign needed for him.

*facepalm*
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,578
    It was a beatles track and it wasn't Oasis. Oasis didn't exist as a band. It was Noel with his high flying birds.

Is there a high profile Liverpool act with a mainstream following right now? I can’t think of one.

Noel G is a good choice, serious artist, mainstream and has made no secret of his admiration for The Beatles. They got a drummer from the La’s Too.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • CarbonClem wrote:
    It was a beatles track and it wasn't Oasis. Oasis didn't exist as a band. It was Noel with his high flying birds.

Is there a high profile Liverpool act with a mainstream following right now? I can’t think of one.

Noel G is a good choice, serious artist, mainstream and has made no secret of his admiration for The Beatles. They got a drummer from the La’s Too.

So this famous city with a rich musical history couldn’t produce a singer or band of any notoriety to perform a cover song?
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Every year it baffles me why anyone cares about this...
  • RichN95.
    Froome came 7th with 47,000 votes which is more than he got in either 2013 or 2015. By contrast Farah got 83,000. Amazingly Rea very nearly won with 80,000 votes.

Mo Farah: 83,524 votes
    Jonathan Rea: 80,567
    Jonnie Peacock: 73,429
    Anthony Joshua: 73,411
    Adam Peaty: 63,739
    Lewis Hamilton: 60,627
    Chris Froome: 47,683
    Harry Kane: 18,759
    Anya Shrubsole: 15,237
    Bianca Walkden: 13,962
    Johanna Konta: 7,591
    Elise Christie: 6,504
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    S'pose the take away for Froome is that the British public don't care about doping allegations they just don't like him
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!