Detailed maps Monchique

hdow
hdow Posts: 184
edited December 2017 in Road general
Hi, hope someone can help. going to Monchique near Faro for a weeks cycling in the new year. The Michelin maps seem to miss off most of the cyclable roads. Can anyone recommend a reliable map?
Cheers
Harry

Comments

• This is probably what you need : http://www.stanfords.co.uk/Faro_9789892100814
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    It’s not that near to Faro,it’s nearly an hour by car. We stay in Alvor on the coast a lot which is south of Monchique. You won’t have trouble finding your way around even without a map.Even the main roads are relatively quiet even in summer and the back roads on a bike are really nice to ride. Silves is worth a visit and the monchique spa resort for a coffee.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434
    ^^^this

you should be able to pick up a decent map locally, or use google maps to print before you go, if you'll have internet access where you stay you can use it to investigate once you're there

if you're up for longer rides, just take the best looking road and see where it takes you, worst case you can retrace your path, best case you discover some great loops

haven't ridden there for a while, for a road bike i found some major roads in poor condition, with the less travelled the best, the standard of driving/awareness is sometimes a bit lacking, coaches/lorries can get uncomfortably close, but away from busy routes it's really pleasant
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I go every November and although we use a map occasionally it is not really necessary. Just explore in Strava and see where everyone else has been riding and follow their routes. Be warned that much of the mapping is not to the standard of Ordnance Survey and many of the smaller road are not roads at all, just tracks!

There are a couple of routes up Foia and several good destinations depending on how far you want to ride. As mentioned, Silves is quite nice, Loule too. A bit further afield Querenca is a beautiful little place with a super cafe/ restaurant up the top of the hill by the church in the renovated square.

Salir is a good coffee stop and much further afield Alcoutim is beautiful - probably have to do a drive part way there from Monchique though as it is on the Spanish border. Tavira is nice, again on the coast by the border.

The Malhao climb as used in the Tour of the Algarve is short and sharp, with a cafe at the top. Some nice roads to get there. And we always laugh when we ride through California!

My favourite climb is from the bottom of Querenca up to Branco do Velho - long and shallow, a real TTers climb!

Estoi is another nice little town, we often stop in the little square beside the church and have lunch/ coffee.

Anyhow, doesn't really answer your question about maps, but you should be able to sort some routes out using that lot, Strava, ridewithgps and a Garmin!!!

PP
  • I do a lot of cycling on the Algarve but we are further east than your destination towards Spain. Road surfaces are a mixed bag largely dependent on which council area you are in.

One little tip, which you may know already, when cycling on country roads cars coming up behind you will very often give a little toot on the horn, it is not a sign of annoyance they are just letting you know they are there for your safety.

Enjoy the cycling and the cheap and plentiful coffee stops.
  • hdow
    hdow Posts: 184
    Many thanks for the map advice (MOL) and everyone else for the route and coffee stop recommendations. Really looking forward to it now
    Cheers
    Harry
  • Unless it's changed dramatically in the last three years:

1. Road surfaces are great
    2. Drivers are very polite and tolerant
    3. Maps are crap - the Michelin is probably the best, but even that's ropey.
    4. PP has the rest covered.

It's a wonderful area to cycle in.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Just to add,

Road surfaces absolutely superb compared to the uk. Yes, you may get the odd bad bit, but hardly any potholes and great smooth surfaces dominate. I can vouch for this as I was there less than a month ago.

Not met any inconsiderate drivers in all the years I have been going there.

Yes, on the whole the maps are crap!

And another recommendation for a lunch stop is Cachopo...

Alte is ok too.

Oh and finally, Sagres over Super Bock!!! ;-)

PP
  • Pilot Pete wrote:
    Just to add,

Road surfaces absolutely superb compared to the uk. Yes, you may get the odd bad bit, but hardly any potholes and great smooth surfaces dominate. I can vouch for this as I was there less than a month ago.

Not met any inconsiderate drivers in all the years I have been going there.

Yes, on the whole the maps are crap!

And another recommendation for a lunch stop is Cachopo...

Alte is ok too.

Oh and finally, Sagres over Super Bock!!! ;-)

PP

I never mentioned Cachopo purposefully but a great ride Tavira, Cachopo, Almadova, Sao Bras back to Tavira, 7000 ft of climbing over 70 miles.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Pilot Pete wrote:

There are a couple of routes up Foia and several good destinations depending on how far you want to ride. As mentioned, Silves is quite nice, Loule too. A bit further afield Querenca is a beautiful little place with a super cafe/ restaurant up the top of the hill by the church in the renovated square.

Salir is a good coffee stop and much further afield Alcoutim is beautiful - probably have to do a drive part way there from Monchique though as it is on the Spanish border. Tavira is nice, again on the coast by the border.

The Malhao climb as used in the Tour of the Algarve is short and sharp, with a cafe at the top. Some nice roads to get there. And we always laugh when we ride through California!

My favourite climb is from the bottom of Querenca up to Branco do Velho - long and shallow, a real TTers climb!

PP
    We went earlier this year to this area. It was late March but we were very unlucky with the weather but I would second the recommendations for the Querenca climb. Malhao is a grind but Super Bock at the top was worth it. Roads are quiet and well surfaced. We had a local guy guide us a bit which was useful. You can have a nice run down to Villamoura too if you want a flatter day. If you fancy a guide I can recommend someone