Cycling on Xmas day

bianchimoon
bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
edited January 2018 in Road general
Anyone else do this? Turkeys in the oven, wife happy to get the dinner sorted without my interference :D
So always have a 30 mile ride to set myself up for food and drink, roads so quiet, only people out are runners, horse riders and one or two other cyclists... makes it a great cycling day :)
All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....

Comments

• -Dash
    -Dash Posts: 179
    Yep. Last year was super windy and I'm on the coast so it was a mix of super fun fast sections vs grinding at 12mph into a huge headwind.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    i tend to do boxing day and new years day due to bambini on chrimbles morning - agree completely that you can't beat seasonal quiet roads.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Tend to get 40-60 miles in, open presents with the Date go for a walk then hop on the bike around 10. Peaceful
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    Always try to get out for an hour or so in the morning. Lovely quiet roads.
  • Xmas Day surf has always been my tradition assuming conditions are favourable. Oh and this year neither as working Xmas Day! :twisted:
  • Yep - I’ll be out Xmas morning, try and get out a few times on days of over Xmas break.
  • The last 2 christmas days I've nearly been hit by cars, although the roads are quiet people driving cars are still dangerous
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • bianchimoon
    The last 2 christmas days I've nearly been hit by cars, although the roads are quiet people driving cars are still dangerous
    I'd seriously think of giving up cycling if on that one day of the year you have that much trouble
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • I’d love to but fear it may spell the end of my testicles!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • bianchimoon
    I do offer to help out in the kitchen, but get told I'd be more use riding my bike, which is weird 'cos don't see how that helps at out at all!
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    I get out for an hour after prepping for lunch and whilst the meat is cooking. Its makes me feel a little better about the impending gluttony.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I go for a run. Solid, 45minutes effort (about 10/11km). Then to the pub for a Guinness and back for mushroom Wellington with all the trimmings.

Lovely stuff.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    I've been out the past few years on Christmas Day morning and have been surprised how busy the roads were.
    I always enjoy riding on Christmas Eve afternoon. The roads get progressively more quiet, and it really feels like people are settling in for the festive period.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Always been surprised how busy the roads are, like Shazz. Last couple years ive gone out though perfect way to justify "free calories" as in every sausage roll an pig in blanket you can lay your hands on.
  • Yes, if the weather is OK I like to head out early before the rest of the family is up to catch sunrise at the top of Butser Hill in the South Downs. It's a nice ride and it's very peaceful.
  • I tend to work on Christmas Day, if you do go early there is almost no one on the roads which lovely! Do need to be careful as some cars are in a bit of a rush/not expecting anything let alone a bike.
  • Get up early, two hours on the road, back in time to fire up the BBQ for a champagne breakfast! :D
  • I’ll go for a ride, find one of the ( increasing number ) of establishments, who open for a couple of hours on Christmas day in my locale, then head home, when my Christmas dinner is done. The roads are largely motorist free, and I can work up an appetite.
  • Tend to find New Year's Day is quieter.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Nope...it's the one day of the year my wife put her foot down about and it's fair enough..riding 12-13 hours a week every week of the year!
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I'd love to but cycling drunk isn't really allowed. First Christmas with the hound so I'll probably take him for a run first thing this year but that is just to stop him annoying my family all day
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    define "cycling" ..... does riding up and down outside the house, with my kid, whilst pretending to rescue Cats and bunnies stuck in trees all the time using the game to practice bunnyhopping up and down kerbs on my BMX count ?
  • bianchimoon
    fat daddy wrote:
    define "cycling" ..... does riding up and down outside the house, with my kid, whilst pretending to rescue Cats and bunnies stuck in trees all the time using the game to practice bunnyhopping up and down kerbs on my BMX count ?

hmmm, my original thought was out alone, no one else to worry about, just you and the road, salivating at the thought of xmas dinner!
    BUT, since it's xmas, getting off the couch and turning a pedal can count :wink:
  • Planning on a bit of a ride early doors through London. I'm banking on quiet roads and decent weather, turning what is normally something to be endured, into a fun ride. However, both good weather and quiet roads may be asking for a Christmas miracle too far.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,873
    This year I'll be slapping on a pair of skis....................... :D:D:D:D
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Dorset Boy wrote:

thats going to give you massive toe overlap ... probably be fine once riding, but turning at lights or trackstanding, you are going to be in trouble
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,873
    fat daddy wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:

thats going to give you massive toe overlap ... probably be fine once riding, but turning at lights or trackstanding, you are going to be in trouble

:lol::lol:

Essential turns only!
  • bianchimoon
    Skiing on xmas day, now that's going to take some beating!
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I'd love to be brave enough to even mention it, I'm out Xmas Eve and Boxing Day so i can't complain too much. New Years Day is also out but thats self inflicted reasons.
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Have been out last couple of years and intend to ride again this year.

Couple of hours up to Central Londonand back on roads I wouldn’t dream of riding the rest of the year.