This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,722
    Neil?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,572
    louis-armstrong-4.jpg

Keynote speaker - swidt?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • He has a lovely singing voice. Hope be brings Miller, Farmer’s Market is one of my faves.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Oh you guys........ :)

You crack me up

Would you go and see Lancey boy? Not sure I would - be a bit, well, galling really.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032

You crack me up

Would you go and see Lancey boy? Not sure I would - be a bit, well, galling really.

Yeah i d love to hear a talk from him an all time hero of mine.... i dont have big anti drugs attitude, anyone who does should question why they are interested in pro cycling because it has been going on since year dot and i dont believe it has ever really stopped, just different drugs and different methods, so the big one now is weight loss whilst still keeping power, was always impossible but now it seems not......
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,722

You crack me up

I'd still rather listen to Neil. Yes, I know he is dead, and no, it is not about the drugs.
    I think Lance is a self centred arrogant egotistical cnut.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,542
    Bet he's got some bloody great stories from the peloton.
  • Bet he's got some bloody great stories from the peloton.

This. Organisers clearly think he’s a drawcard too.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    His daily podcast during the TDF was awesome .... bet commentary of the whole 3 weeks IMO ... I would go listen to him.

He may well be a weapons grade cnut .... but I bet his speech is good
  • rick_chasey
    fat daddy wrote:
    His daily podcast during the TDF was awesome .... bet commentary of the whole 3 weeks IMO .

Really?
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy wrote:
    His daily podcast during the TDF was awesome .... bet commentary of the whole 3 weeks IMO .

Really?

I thoroughly enjoyed it. everything else was the same old that is regurgitated every year. I though his podcast was a far more insightful and a change from the norm.

Then again I like disc brakes, think Christmas cake is just a dull fruit cake with an inch of sugar welded to it and prefer shorts to bibs :shock:
  • rick_chasey
    Was just an old codger who's got a bit of charisma saying what we all saw on telly. The guy didn't even leave Texas.

I tell you, if you go looking, there are plenty of other ex riders who give more insight.

His got box office charisma, I grant you thank; we're all like moths to a flame with him, whether you hated him or not, but the podcast isn't a great medium for that.
  • fat daddy

His got box office charisma, I grant you thank; we're all like moths to a flame with him, whether you hated him or not, but the podcast isn't a great medium for that.

yeah your right I didnt enjoy it :?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I really don't like Lance Armstrong - for the person he appears to be and his treatment of whistleblowers in and around the peloton. Nasty piece of work.

BUT.

If you have listened to his podcast - "Stages" or "The Forward" - you'll know that when it comes to analysing racing and telling stories from the peloton/training rides/coffee rides that he's pretty damn good. I listen grudgingly because it's good!

So keynote speaker for the Flanders Classic... I can see how it might stick in the craw, but I bet it's a good speech.

(I never thought I'd remotely have a single good word for Armstrong)
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rick_chasey
    Ben6899 wrote:
    I really don't like Lance Armstrong - for the person he appears to be and his treatment of whistleblowers in and around the peloton. Nasty piece of work.

BUT.

If you have listened to his podcast - "Stages" or "The Forward" - you'll know that when it comes to analysing racing and telling stories from the peloton/training rides/coffee rides that he's pretty damn good. I listen grudgingly because it's good!

So keynote speaker for the Flanders Classic... I can see how it might stick in the craw, but I bet it's a good speech.

People do forget he was a decent one day racer pre doping.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Ben6899 wrote:

BUT.

He was physically a different person (one of the clues that he was up to something was the transformation).
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Wasn't he prevented from being the "Official Podcast" of the Colorado Classic earlier this year on the basis that being involved in an official capacity with a UCI-sanctioned event would have been a violation of his lifetime ban from the sport?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/armstro ... m-cycling/

I don't see how this case is any different. I don't see why Flanders Classics would want to get involved with him, they don't need him, but I guess it might help broaden the mainstream appeal of the Classics.

As for the Stages podcast, I listened to a few around Kona and thought they were probably a bit better than the average hackneyed punditry. I wish he'd stop that dumbass thing that they do from American TV, where they play a 2-minute highlight clip right at the top of the show and spoil the best part; just get on with it!
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,399
    fat daddy wrote:

:lol::lol:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • rick_chasey
    Wasn't he prevented from being the "Official Podcast" of the Colorado Classic earlier this year on the basis that being involved in an official capacity with a UCI-sanctioned event would have been a violation of his lifetime ban from the sport?

I don't see how this case is any different. I don't see why Flanders Classics would want to get involved with him, they don't need him, but I guess it might help broaden the mainstream appeal of the Classics.

'cos Belgians have been watching cycling since the 1930s, and so they don't have the "drawn into cycling by my hero, only to found he lied to my face and wiped his c0ck on the curtain of my dreams" angle most Americans and Brits seem to have.

All their heroes doped too and they still listen to them. Museeuw will be joining Lance, for example.
  • rick_chasey
    fat daddy wrote:

Glad we sorted that out.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,454
    Ben6899 wrote:

BUT.

I liked him back in those days. However, I thought he'd been doping from before he even started racing in Europe?

I wouldn't have thought he'd be the best at stories from the peloton either as he always seemed aloof and unlikely to have been someone other riders would share much with so I'm surprised to here he's good at that stuff, all I've ever really heard him talk about is himself.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Wasn't he prevented from being the "Official Podcast" of the Colorado Classic earlier this year on the basis that being involved in an official capacity with a UCI-sanctioned event would have been a violation of his lifetime ban from the sport?

'cos Belgians have been watching cycling since the 1930s, and so they don't have the "drawn into cycling by my hero, only to found he lied to my face and wiped his c0ck on the curtain of my dreams" angle most Americans and Brits seem to have.

All their heroes doped too and they still listen to them. Museeuw will be joining Lance, for example.

I was cycling before Lance started cycling. And a lot of doping was inspired by the use of bennies enabling pilots to keep awake so they could bomb the shit out of people in ww2. Before that they just necked a bottle of vin rouge.

Doper=cheat even if 'they are all at it'. So the TdF is tough; bring on the violins.
  • rick_chasey
    Good for you mate.