Sealant questions. Mavis n Stans.

remedy_7
remedy_7 Posts: 179
edited December 2017 in MTB general
I have some Mavic xa wheels. Ust rims n tyres. Supplied with Mavic sealant.

The Mavic sealant is £9 / 120ml. Stans is £22 / 950ml.
Obviously I would prefer the cheaper Stans. Can I mix them?

Mavic says 120ml per tyre (for my size). That is going to work out very expensive over the years with top ups.
I have only done my back wheel (for pinch flats), used 60ml / 2oz.
I understand that less sealant means a slower puncture repair. Are there any other issues with using less?

I tried filling the tyre up through the valve (valve removed), almost impossible, took ages, so I cracked the tyre and poured it in. Is using the valve method normally very slow?

Will I have any issues using ust rims, sealant and NON ust tyres? Ust tyre choice is limited.

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    use a syringe to inject throught the valve. some sealant can mix well other not so well.

Pinch flats? if you are using tubes throw them away and go tubeless. non ust/tubeless MTB tyres normally go tubeless easily. they need a folding bead though. rigid tyres and tubeless normally don't mix.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    That mAvic sealant is ££££££

There are cheaper brands about or Google diy sealant
  • remedy_7
    My spare tyre is wired and heavy so will get another folder.

The sealant came free with the wheelset. But once it is used, I won't get anymore. Crazy price. £9 per tyre plus top-ups.
  • Decathlon do a good sealant, I think it's approx £8 for 500ml out there about.
    I have wired tyres on my cx bike I use for commuting, they went tubeless with the valve cores in and a track pump, I wish they were all that easy!
  • remedy_7
    edited December 2017
    Has someone messed with my post?

PLONKER!
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Remedy 7 wrote:
    Has someone messed with my post?

Mavic has been changed to Mavis.

Might be funny to some but it shouldn't be tampered with.

Funny you think it’s been tampered with......it will be the spell check.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    on my mavic ust wheels I've just fitted maxis tubeless ready tyres and use stans sealant without any issues for last 6 months