Low cost Shimano hydro Brakes

the_chief15
the_chief15 Posts: 64
edited December 2017 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking to get back out on my MTB after a number of years away but i need to replace my brakes, Avid Juicy 3s from 2008. I don't want to spend too much as i'll probably buy a new bike if i get out enough to justify it.

I have seen Shimano M315 and M355 front and rear brakes going for around £35-45, which seems rather cheap but given 10 years of trickle down tech would these provide similar stopping power and modulation as the old juicy 3s which have always been good enough for where and how i ride.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Any Shimano brake is a big step up from old Jucy's. I'd go for Deores, I got a pair for £70 and they are absolutely brilliant. Not just good for the money but a great brake.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    What he says ^^^^.

Have a look on eBay. There are always some for sale on there. For example, THIS SET is off a new bike so in perfect condition.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • If you want REALLY inexpensive brakes, how about these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/clarks/brakes ? They are only £20 per set, and all the reviews I've read of them have been positive.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have the Clarks on my commuter, they do need a firm squeeze, but modulation and feel are pretty good and there is nothing wrong with the stopping power, a few sellers on evilbay at £40 for the set delivered.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    If you want REALLY inexpensive brakes, how about these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/clarks/brakes ? They are only £20 per set, and all the reviews I've read of them have been positive.
    I use them too, and very happy after paying £40 for the set including rotors. (fitted to my CAADX commuter after converting to flat bar) The only downside I can think of, is you don't get any olives if you need to shorten the hoses. CRC do sell them for around £5 each
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    the shimano deores are ones to look at. I'm putting together a commuter bike out of old hardtail parts and need brakes been looking at them as currently use xts on my mtb which are very good.

do the lower end shimano brakes still use the old pad style as found some spare pads I bought but never used on my mtb when I swapped to xt brakes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    New Deore use the same as SLX and XT.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools