SNOW !!!

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited December 2017 in The bottom bracket
Was supposed to arrive on Sunday but it's now snowing over Ilkley Moor.....I hate winter !!

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Yes I think we all hate winter , snow, ice, freezing winds does not bode well with road cycling, it’s a good job we have trainers at home.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I have trainers in my locker at work as well. I find them a very comfortable and practical footwear.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    its summer here in Bristol ... well I say Summer, there are xmas decorations and no leaves on the trees, but the weather is the same
  • I don't hate winter. I just switch to other things. It's nice walking in the winter hills. Snow angels and sledges. What's not to like?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,312
    The snow makes everything look clean and white.

Better than pouring rain. Now the sun has popped out, the light meter is through the roof.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Snow is great if you live somewhere like the Alps where you can use it for something fun. I used to love being in Bavaria in winter but in the UK its nice a pretty to look at for a day or so than its just annoying crap I have to sweep off my garden path every morning.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    fat daddy wrote:
    its summer here in Bristol ... well I say Summer, there are xmas decorations and no leaves on the trees, but the weather is the same

take that back ... just looking out the window wishing I was riding and noticed the hills in the distance are white .. damn .. only a few miles away but didnt quite get to me !
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I don't hate winter. I just switch to other things. It's nice walking in the winter hills. Snow angels and sledges. What's not to like?

Hypothermia and frost bite generally.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    Snow is great if you live somewhere like the Alps where you can use it for something fun. I used to love being in Bavaria in winter but in the UK its nice a pretty to look at for a day or so than its just annoying crap I have to sweep off my garden path every morning.
    I'd change that for London and the suburbs that if you do see any it's pretty for a couple of hours until it's turned to grey slush by hordes of people.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Snow is great if you live somewhere like the Alps where you can use it for something fun. I used to love being in Bavaria in winter but in the UK its nice a pretty to look at for a day or so than its just annoying crap I have to sweep off my garden path every morning.
    I'd change that for London and the suburbs that if you do see any it's pretty for a couple of hours until it's turned to grey slush by hordes of people.

I thought in London it actually snowed grey such is the level of pollution.
  • I don't hate winter. I just switch to other things. It's nice walking in the winter hills. Snow angels and sledges. What's not to like?

Hypothermia and frost bite generally.
    Had hypothermia a couple of times (early stages only). Bad kit choice every time. I've learnt a lot since and it's been well over ten years since my last case despite putting myself out in conditions where it could easily happen.

Full winter conditions in the lakes or well below zero temperatures plus windchill while paddling a whitewater river for example. They were the last two situations I hit hypothermia in, last case probably 15 years ago.

I'm sorry winter is a nice time to be out in if you have the right kit.

PS bringing it back to cycling. The first time I saw a fat bike was in Wheelbase in Staveley. It was about the time I walked up nearby hills in deep snow to see ski tracks and some strange tracks that looked like bike tracks. Later on that walk I saw the guy riding it. Looked like he was having fun too. More than us because it's hard work wading through knee deep snow.
  • pinno
    Stunning, unspoilt.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    My garden looks as good as anyone else's today. :D
  • pinno
    Ballysmate wrote:
    It must be all that hard work you put into it.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    Veronese68 wrote:

I thought in London it actually snowed grey such is the level of pollution.
    Up to central London for a mate's birthday lunch today and it was snowing quite heavily. Quite strange to see a couple of blokes carrying a Christmas tree in town in heavy snow. Didn't last long as predicted but very pretty whilst it lasted.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Pinno wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

I really wish I could take the credit.
  • pinno
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

I really wish I could take the credit.

It's mother nature - you're working in harmony with her, pure genius Bally.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,943
    It would be ok if I didn't have to go anywhere, but I know the journeys that are bloody awful in normal conditions are going to be almost pointless trying when they get snowed on. The problem is, that if that is the journey home from work, I doubt I'm staying at work for the night.

We've had a couple of Amber Snow warnings, but so far I've only seen the white stuff.

The older I get, the better I was.

• ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Was supposed to arrive on Sunday but it's now snowing over Ilkley Moor.....I hate winter !!

Nice area, you've only a few miles outside outside Bradford & Leeds, but you'd be mistaken in thinking you're in the secluded wilderness. Ive gone across the top of the Moor without seeing another person or hearing any noise. Bliss.

Ive done a bit of cycling there past Otley, Askwith, lkley, Bolton Abbey and out towards Grassington. But it seems the opposite of the above, you can't avoid people as its such a popular cycling route. F' ing hilly up the Chevin from Otley! Must be one of the steepest roads in the area?
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby