Going into Juniors, should I go into A3 or A4?

rowanharley
rowanharley Posts: 76
edited December 2017 in Amateur race
I'm going into Junior racing next season and I've been debating in which division I should race in. I'm Irish so I get the choice of entering into A3 or A4. In A4, I've got fellow clubmates but in A3, it's safer riding. I've only done sportives this year but I've been able to keep up fine so I'm wondering should I try A3 or go into A4 and move up once I've got the points. Note that if I go into A3 and have to drop down before the season ends, I won't be able to go back up to A3 until next season.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    You might get an answer here, on the off chance that there are junior or ex-junior riders familiar enough with the Irish racing scene - but I can't help thinking a better idea would be to ask your own clubmates or other riders locally who have faced the same issues.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    Start at the bottom and be aggressive - by which I mean attack lots not start thumping your fellow competitors!

My take is it's easier to get into good habits, ride nearer the front, attack, be active etc, if you aren't blowing out your arse just to hang on. You can then carry on those good habits as you move up.

Don't worry about crashing, it happens but worrying wont help and most serious crashes in terms of life changing injuries happen commuting to work or some other innocuous activity rather than in races.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]