Colnago C59 - TSIT

shirley_basso
shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
edited May 2018 in Your road bikes
Old user (coriordan) making a comeback with a new set of wheels.

After much umming and erring, I took the plunge on a Colnago C59. I originally wanted a Basso Astra but I couldn't find it in my size in my colourway and to be totally honest it wasn't special enough to warrant spending the cash on it, even at the stupid prices it's available for at Cycle Republic. After following greasedscotsman's thread and someone posting about used C59s, I did a quick google and this one came up for silly money for sale by a bike shop not too far down the road. I took it for a spin and it put a silly grin on my face straight away, so I put a deposit down there and then and picked it up this morning.

I have to say it is absolutely incredible ride and to be totally honest I never thought I'd own a Colnago, Di2 or Zipps, but here we are. I absolutely love the colourway and while not identical it pretty much looks like the 150th anniversary colourway i've seen on here and weightweenies.

Some may be offended by Shimano and in fact Ultegra, but that's all the ridiculously blown budget could afford. Given the wheels and groupset are brand new, basically one of them ended up being free at this price.

38960004264_a9dcba1ddc_c.jpg

Frame: Colnago C59 - TSIT - 54 Sloping
Groupset: Shimano 6870 throughout 52/36-11/28
Wheelset: Zipp 303 Clinchers
Tyres: Schwalbe One
Stem: Colnago Nemesis 120mm
Bars: 3T Tornova Pro 44cm
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR Carbon
Seatpost: Colnago Carbon
Pedals: Shimano Ultegra
Bartape: Fizik
Cages: Planet-x Jobsworth

Happy to take some critique on the setup as it will be a work in progress, but no I won't be sticking Campag on it and I won't be buying Dura Ace di2 either.

Need recommendations on: Stem, Bars, Bartape, Bottle Cages. Thinking Deda Zero 100 and Fizik tape. Bottle cages no idea (type or colour!)

Comments

• ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Looks lovely. I personally like white tape with deda carbon being my preference as its really easy to keep clean, just a wipe over with a soapy sponge every now and again... Stem needs to be black, and also the seatpost if they do a black one to match....
  • I bloody love my C59 (that I bought off markyone a few years back). It's not a light frame compared to similar top end designs, but f*ck me it's a stunning bike to ride.

I personally think the stem/bar/tape combo is just fine. The saddle works too!

My only suggestion would be to get the matte black decals for the 303's and take off the '303/red thing' that marks the valve stem. Decal swapping is dead easy. I did the same to mine.

Great purchase :-)
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    edited December 2017
    If you do want to swap out the stem then get a Superlegerro - the Zero 100 is IMO too busy in the graphics department, even in its BoB colour scheme.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    An extra point is if you want the front end lower than it is (even though it is already slammed), a Superlegerro stem would lower things a touch more, firstly it's a degree more, secondly it's stack height at the clamping area is less.

Personally I'd keep a white stem on that colour scheme, and in the summer go for white tape too.

Plain white elite cages will work, use acetone to clean off any logos.

Bars seeing as you have the zipps, find a good deal on Zipp Contour SL bar? They are great, a bit compact on the drop but not quite so tiny a reach like some of the 3T's have. Now and again you'll get them for £150, they are flat top but not so ultra modern and aero that they will look wanky.
  • Ravey - ill look into the tape. I disagree about the black stem though, I think all white finishing kit looks ace.

TGD - have you got his in AD10? If so I am extremely jealous. That is my favourite colour way but this is a very close 2nd. Someone else also mentioned trying to get the stickers all black so will look into it. If I'm honest accuracy and artwork and me don't really go hand in hand!

If I do swap out the finishing it I'll want it all white. I think 3T do a white stem and the Zero100 is also available in white. I have the same on my other bike in BoB and think it looks ok, especially the seatpost.

mfin - will look at those bottle cages. I've thought about changing the bars but these are actually amazingly comfy and stiff (unless you hold them at the very ends, which I don't). Only downside is they are a little wide for my liking. I'd rather go all white if I can
  • ravey1981
    Ravey - ill look into the tape. I disagree about the black stem though, I think all white finishing kit looks ace.

TGD - have you got his in AD10? If so I am extremely jealous. That is my favourite colour way but this is a very close 2nd. Someone else also mentioned trying to get the stickers all black so will look into it. If I'm honest accuracy and artwork and me don't really go hand in hand!

If I do swap out the finishing it I'll want it all white. I think 3T do a white stem and the Zero100 is also available in white. I have the same on my other bike in BoB and think it looks ok, especially the seatpost.

mfin - will look at those bottle cages. I've thought about changing the bars but these are actually amazingly comfy and stiff (unless you hold them at the very ends, which I don't). Only downside is they are a little wide for my liking. I'd rather go all white if I can

Fair enough, each to their own. I did the whole white bike, white kit thing a few years ago so I'm kind of over that look (absolute bastard to keep clean too). Prefer a bit of balance now.
  • Is it really? I have white bar tape on my other bike and provided I'm careful with handling the chain etc it's actually pretty easy to keep looking nice.
  • Beautiful bike. But the Zipp stickers have gotta go! :D

Don't think the bars are Ergonova, look the wrong bend in the drops for that. Maybe Rotundo or Tornova if they're a 3T bar?

Oh, and welcome back.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    Very nice c59 is a lovely bike
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • Bars are definitely 3T, not sure what shape though. They seem stiff enough except on the very ends of the drops and are a nice shape so far.

Is it easy to change the decals? I do like the dark label ones, but don't want to make a pigs ear of it. I am not known for getting that type of thing right.
  • mfin - I've seen the white elite bottle cages and perhaps I am being picky but the black rubber bit is putting me off (once I've acetoned off the decals). The only other all white ones I can find are Arundel Mandible, but they don't appear to be available any more in white (either carbon or plastic "Sport").

I think I may leave the wheel decals as they are for the time being. Maybe if they become scuffed or something I may look at removing them. I agree it does look busy but I am too cack handed to make a really good job of it. Perhaps when it goes in for a service (the lbs selling it gave me free servicing for life, so may as well use it!).

Quick question - I didn't assemble it and haven't looked in detail - but how does the adjustable Colnago stem work? I think there is a shim which sits inside the steerer clamp which rotates and allows you to change the angle of the stem. May look into that as a way to get a more steep drop.

Also have researched the bar-end junction box which I may look into if I can find a nice, affordable, white, internally routed handlebar. Probably be attached to a unicorn.
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    It maybe my eyes but that looks like a sloping frame to me not a traditional? Top of the tyres are just under the same brick line but the top tube is definitely slower at the seat post.

Nice all the same if it a sloping!
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • You know what that's a good point - I think you may be right. I have some more pics elsewhere and will check when I get home.

To be honest I think a gentle slope looks equally good as a traditional frame however I am not so keen about those super compact frames (giant tcr, for example). I'll get the spirit level and tape measure out!
  • matt_n-2
    Sorry didn't want to pick fault, just my eyes couldn't unsee it!

I'd love a C59, big fan of Colnago, enjoy.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
  • ravey1981
    Is it really? I have white bar tape on my other bike and provided I'm careful with handling the chain etc it's actually pretty easy to keep looking nice.

I mean white bikes in general, I also have white tape and saddle, keeps clean no problem...its grime down behind the chainrings etc thats harder to shift... anyway....we digress.
  • Matt- not to worry at all! I reckon it must be a 54s, although haven't measured it. If I am honest, I don't mind either way as I think they both look just as good.

Much the same as you I always dreamt about owning a Colnago C59 (either AD10 or 150th anniversary) but it was always a pipe dream I never imagined i'd fulfil. It was a chance stumbling across a C60 build thread in Buying Advice when someone said why not go 2nd hand C59 that I googled how much they cost and truthfully, given the di2 and zipps are both brand new, the frameset works out as essentially free. I do have to admit it is not in 'as new' condition which is a shame, but certainly not in bad condition by any means and definitely not a dealbreaker. The TSIT colourway is as near to the 150th colourway so I don't mind at all.

Obviously this is the dream build, but not sure I can stretch to the integrated 'bar, but am investigating getting stealth vinyls for the wheels. Oh, and I am quite happy with Shimano!

Colnago+C59+-+Campy+SR.jpg
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Not keen on the paint job & zipp wheels combo to many clashing colours & logos.
  • Plan is to get the stealth black logos on the wheels and white bar tape which should tidy it up nicely.
  • matt_n-2
    Matt- not to worry at all! I reckon it must be a 54s, although haven't measured it. If I am honest, I don't mind either way as I think they both look just as good.

Much the same as you I always dreamt about owning a Colnago C59 (either AD10 or 150th anniversary) but it was always a pipe dream I never imagined i'd fulfil. It was a chance stumbling across a C60 build thread in Buying Advice when someone said why not go 2nd hand C59 that I googled how much they cost and truthfully, given the di2 and zipps are both brand new, the frameset works out as essentially free. I do have to admit it is not in 'as new' condition which is a shame, but certainly not in bad condition by any means and definitely not a dealbreaker. The TSIT colourway is as near to the 150th colourway so I don't mind at all.

Yep it's a handsome paint job.

I ride a 54s too, although I'm making do with a CLX3 :lol: it's a ncie ride actually, rear end is bonded lug with a monocoque front triangle, took a bit of a punt on it after coming to a good deal on eBay for it.

C59 in AD10 would be my choice too, stunning, or an EPS in Zabel.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    Bike looks great - fabulous colour. You can’t get better than a Colnago in my opinion, AD10 would be my preference too but are stupidly rare. Love your colour and whatever works for you is fine. Don’t worry about red bits or indeed Shimano, my C59 is my ‘event’ bike and wears Ultegra. My others have Campag but whatever suits your needs or budget is fine.

Enjoy it, it’s a corker !,
  • Black decals applied last night but sadly was still dark by the time I got to work after this morning's ride.

May have some pics by the weekend!
  • beanstalk
    beanstalk Posts: 143
    Great looking bike.
    Maybe a black seat post clam?
  • Agree it could work. I think the priority now is to sort the bars (width and colour) and get the white tape wrapped.

Stem angle changes are slowly moving forward but the lbs who are speaking with the importer has gone quiet for a bit so I may just go for the 3T white/red stem as per the previous pic but it's just more money purely for aesthetics which is a bit of a waste in my view.

Still rides like a dream and looking forward to a couple of days in the new forest this weekend for some proper rides which aren't Regent's, Richmond or Chertsey!
  • Black logos as promised. Did 60K in the New Forest today, does ride beautifully but needs a more angled stem and narrower bars. When sorted it can get the white bartape.

27890218169_24787505da_z.jpg
  • Another ride in The New Forest.

27912692119_c8d69b1548_z.jpg

2 timer....?
  • Few changes.

Pro Vibe di2 bars and stem installed but didn't have the heart to drop another 200 on the parts required for the bar end junction install. Will do at a later date.

40185354351_c537671d7a_z.jpg
  • pnev
    pnev Posts: 236
    Stunning. The lines and set-up is perfect.

The Caad however
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    28361613988_99fdde93f5_z.jpg

Suffolk on Sunday. Could probably justify 808s given how flat it is around here!!
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    Damn handsome. I like this muchly.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • matt_n-2
    Seriously 8)
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced