Shimano or Sram?

02gf74
02gf74 Posts: 1,168
edited December 2017 in MTB buying advice
I have 1x11 set up with sram cassette and shimano XT shifter and mech.

I would like to fit Xtr rear mech but the price is making me cry. An alternative is sram x01 but I just cannot decide which way to go. (and yes I know I need to change the shifter too)

Shimano pros- 2 way shift. Reliability, never owned a Shimano product that fell below expectation, on/off clutch.
Cons - ££££

Sram pros- reckon it is lighter and more compact than shimano, don't need to press as hard to shift.
Cons - No 2 way shift, not ridden to same extent as shimano so do not know about long term reliability. It is not shimano.

????

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So stick with XT. What actual benefit do you think XTR will give you.

Spend the money on blow and hookers instead.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The only thing you'll get from XTR is about a 50g weight saving.

DI2 or stick with what you have.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Personally I always go for the cheapest option.... cassettes mechs and chain wear out fairly quickly and replacing higher end bits can be expensive. I go for the cheapest possible part that gives me the functionality that I need.

I have SRAM and Shimano on different bikes, XT and NX both work very well. Initially I didn't think NX will be any good due to being a low end 11 speed 1x system however after riding it I can confirm that its really good, in fact when I borrowed a mates bike with X01 I couldn't really tell any difference, it shifted just the same at a fraction of the cost, sure there is a weight difference but I rather spend my money where it counts most.. suspension/wheels/frame.
  • That.

Why pay the sort of money that is required for an XTR rear mech when it's as vulnerable to the first bit of fallen tree or sticking out branch, rock or other detritus as any other mech?* SLX or XT always!

*unless you just ride fire trails or a desperate for the weight saving.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    spend the money you would on the mech by going on a skills course or hookers.
  • What is the mech? Does that mean the derailler?

Why do you want a new one? It sounds like you already have one.

SRAM is not Campagnolo either.

I remember when Shimano was the new kid on the block, and the less expensive option to Campagnolo.

I own some Shimano products, but they are all fishing reels.

The last time I had a two-way shifter was on a three-speed English racer about 50 years ago.

Since then I've been shifting with levers attached to the down tube. You don't decide which finger to use with them, you decide which arm to use.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What is the mech? Does that mean the derailler?

Why do you want a new one? It sounds like you already have one.

SRAM is not Campagnolo either.

I remember when Shimano was the new kid on the block, and the less expensive option to Campagnolo.

I own some Shimano products, but they are all fishing reels.

The last time I had a two-way shifter was on a three-speed English racer about 50 years ago.

Since then I've been shifting with levers attached to the down tube. You don't decide which finger to use with them, you decide which arm to use.

I think you are a bit lost.

Like hopelessly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nasha48
    nasha48 Posts: 231
    ^^^^^^^ :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: