FSA SL-K Pro chainset stuck in Shimano BB

grumpygramps
grumpygramps Posts: 10
edited December 2017 in Workshop
Hi!

Bit of a problem with a Giant TCR Advanced 1, that I recently bought. It came with an old series FSA SL-K chainset, which was running with a lot of friction in the bb bearings as you turned it. I slackened off the tension on the bolt, which made things much better, but done up to the right torque it was back to having some friction.

I've read on another, much older post, that the FSA cranks aren't compatible with Shimano BB's, and possibly the axle is slightly larger in diameter?

I've tried to remove the chainset today, and the axle appears to be stuck fast.. Not sure if that's because it's been jammed in, or just a bit gummed up.

Any helpful tips highly appreciated :D

Comments

• lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    In my experience they are compatible.However the Fsa crank in a Shimano bottom bracket can be a tightish fit. You need a big wood or plastic mallet,not a rubber one. Give the end of the crank a good wack with the mallet. If it does not move give it a harder wack. You need one wack thats is big enough.Any number of lesser wacks are a waste of time. Get someone to hold the frame as close to the BB as possible to stop the frame moving . A piece of wood over the end of the spindle and a lump hammer can be used if you don't have a suitable mallet.
    Any difference in size is down to manufacturing tolerances. They are both 24mm. diameter spindles.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    You need a bigger mallet.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    You can often lever a chainset out of the BB by using a small pry bar (or a pedal wrench can work). Try pivoting the lever against the outer rim of the BB and the centre of the crank. Pull towards the centre of the bike.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    jermas wrote:
    You can often lever a chainset out of the BB by using a small pry bar (or a pedal wrench can work). Try pivoting the lever against the outer rim of the BB and the centre of the crank. Pull towards the centre of the bike.

Not sure I would do this with a carbon frame - agree with previous posters who suggest a decent whack with the frame supported. Often it gets stuck again at the 2nd bearing and you may need a suitable drift to get past this
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • jermas
    The lever doesn't touch the frame if using a shimano BB. This method only gets the chainset moving the first few mm but that can be enough to loosen it.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    jermas wrote:
    The lever doesn't touch the frame if using a shimano BB until it slips
    FIFY :wink:
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • jermas
    If you have butter fingers. You could use that logic and say a misguided hammer blow will smash the frame.
  • Brilliant, thanks a lot for the help all. I'll have a bash with a small lump hammer, and chock of wood (very carefully!) when I get home in a couple of days.

Hopefully next time I post it won't be how to repair a badly twatted carbon frame!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,318
    Hopefully next time I post it won't be how to repair a badly twatted carbon frame!
    That would make for a really grumpy gramps.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    Its not hard, buy a length of 4x2 and cut to support the frame around the BB with laid on the floor.
    Hold a piece on the crank splines and give a sharp hard hit, don't be a pussy, i mean a proper clout.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Fudgey wrote:
    Its not hard, buy a length of 4x2 and cut to support the frame around the BB with laid on the floor.
    Hold a piece on the crank splines and give a sharp hard hit, don't be a pussy, i mean a proper clout.

I would not recommend supporting a carbon frame with anything other than a pair of human hands.