Disasembling a Tiagra RH STI

1964johnr
1964johnr Posts: 179
edited November 2017 in Workshop
I have an infuriating problem. My rear mech cable snapped inside the shifter and the fray end and barrel are now lodged underneath the mechanism between it and the housing. I've watched a couple of you tube videos on different shifters and RJ The Bike Guy seems to take them apart, solve issues and re-assemble them. I've had a couple of plastic covers off, but it's not enough to get underneath the mechanism. Does anyone have any pointers to complete disassembly. I might as well have a go, I have nothing to lose. My shifters are 10 years old and do not have a screw on the underside to enable removal of the outer plastic cover to reveal the mechanism.

Comments

• 1964johnr wrote:
    I have an infuriating problem. My rear mech cable snapped inside the shifter and the fray end and barrel are now lodged underneath the mechanism between it and the housing. I've watched a couple of you tube videos on different shifters and RJ The Bike Guy seems to take them apart, solve issues and re-assemble them. I've had a couple of plastic covers off, but it's not enough to get underneath the mechanism. Does anyone have any pointers to complete disassembly. I might as well have a go, I have nothing to lose. My shifters are 10 years old and do not have a screw on the underside to enable removal of the outer plastic cover to reveal the mechanism.

This is a very common issue with Shimano Brifters. I usually end up shifting the lever up and down, with the hood pulled back, and a torch shone into the side, then get a pair of needle nosed pliers, and hoik the bit of cable out, through the vent ( for want of a better word) the slats bend enough to be able to squeeze the stoppered end through usually.
  • I tried that, but the problem is that the frayed end and barrel are lodged directly underneath the mechanism. I can't shft the gears and can't get anything in there to untangle it. It is lodged in the worst position possible.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    1964johnr wrote:
    I tried that, but the problem is that the frayed end and barrel are lodged directly underneath the mechanism. I can't shft the gears and can't get anything in there to untangle it. It is lodged in the worst position possible.
    Agreed dismantle to the minimum necessary to get out the offending cable remnants. Often this means knocking out retaining pins. If you kill the shifter it's easy enough to source replacements on ebay - or use as an excuse to upgrade ;)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D