MTB Drivetrain Design Project

Angus_DM29
Angus_DM29 Posts: 4
edited November 2017 in MTB general
Hi there!

My name is Angus and I am a student at Loughborough University, UK.
I am currently undertaking a final year design project with the brief of:

"Design a drivetrain with specific advantages for MTB."

Please could you help me out by filling out my short survey.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/72J2TKS

If anyone is willing I am looking to open a discussion about the following questions.

What are the main issues you have with your MTB drive-train? Both in use and in maintenance.
Have you looked at new innovations? I.e. Carbon Belt Drive, Electric Shifting, Internal Speed Hubs...
If you have or haven't decided to 'upgrade', what have been your reasons?

Any thoughts or experiences you could give would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time.

All the best,
Angus

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Done. The derailleur is the worst thing on modern mountain bikes. Replacing it with something like a lightweight gearbox would be the best development since disc brakes.
    Current gearboxes are a bit heavy, expensive and need a complex chain line to work with a non single pivot rear suspension.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Agreed. Bendy, cloggy, slippy things. How about some kind of CVT arrangement?

Also, I graduated from Lufbra 25 years ago. Good luck!
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    All done, agreed that the derailleur represents a very week link in the overall drivetrain. Constantly needs adjusting and not very durable when it comes to "smashing it down the trails".

Good luck with the project
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I suspect this is another 'hypothetical' Uni project, but if its a genuine intent to come up with something, then good luck.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.