Decision time - advice needed!

blokie13
blokie13 Posts: 93
edited December 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I currently ride a 2017 Boardman Team 29er hardtail and I'm loving it, however I've started doing more offroad (usually the red Kitchener Trail at Sherwood Pines) and I'm finding the hardtail just too uncomfortable for the job, not to mention struggling to put any traction down.

I've got ~£1000 to spend on an FS, and I'd initially rounded it down to the following (prices take into account BC and work reward scheme discounts I can get). Any thoughts on whether the Bossnut v2 is worth the extra £204 over the Team FS, and whether the Pro FS is worth the extra £276 over the Bossnut / £480 over the Team FS?

Boardman Team FS - £720
Calibre Bossnut V2 - £924
Boardman Pro FS - £1200

One thing that the Pro FS has that the other two doesn't is a 1x groupset which really, really appeals (my 29er has an SRAM GX 1x11 and I love it). Not sure if that should be a concern / focus or not??

Also happy to consider other options around the same price range, but really looking to keep it down to 3 figures as opposed to going the other way!!

Mark
Boardman Pro FS 650b | Boardman Team 29er HT | Specialized Tricross Sport

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You really don't need an FS bike for sherwood, if you are struggling with traction it's your tyre/pressure not being a hardtail, as for getting beaten up, again sherwood is mild and you need to be learning the right techniques first.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Pretty much what he said ^^^^.

Much easier to include links to the bikes you are interested in though. I can't be bothered to hunt.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks for the advice. I dropped my pressures to 30R and 28F on Saturday and it was marginally better, but not much. I only had them at around 35 previously. I've also had a Selle Royal Respiro saddle on there since day one, so it shouldn't be related to that either.

I've also taken the advice and booked onto a skills course, so I'll see if that makes a difference prior to buying a FS.
    Boardman Pro FS 650b | Boardman Team 29er HT | Specialized Tricross Sport
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That saddle looks horrible but to each his own.

You should really be out of the saddle on really rough stuff.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Agreed, either out the saddle for really rough or learn to 'read' the trail and be on a pedal downstroke and unweighting your 'arris on smaller bumps.

Soft padded saddles often make impacts worse offroad as there is a greater speed difference to 'smack you one' when the padding compresses fully. That's why Helicopter seats have no padding to speak of at all.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Stick with the hardtail and learn the skills - you'll end up a better ride.

Heels down, bum out, head down, elbows out- try not to sit down - learn to rest on straight legs with low heels.

Ragley Marley is back in stock - great bike: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ragl ... prod145977
    Canyon Spectral 7.0ex 2015
    Giant Trance X3 2011 (retired but not sold!)