DIY hanging bike storage

paulwood
paulwood Posts: 231
edited December 2017 in Workshop
The family collection of bikes has outgrown the space in the home office/garage so I am thinking of some sort of vertical storage.

The walls are stud walls so I am thinking of a free standing frame or else screwing a batten to the joists in the roof space and hanging them from that..

If anyone has any tips it would be appreciated such as how close can you hang the bikes and the best sort of hooks to use.

Thanks

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I put a 3x2 beam across between our (brick) walls and just hook the saddle over - had a few extra bikes last year due to my brothers building work - managed to store them all with only a little inconvenience.
    I tend to put the least used up first (so this time of year it's my TT bike) - then out from there. The most used ones are on the ground - ie my commute bike! All in all we had 18 bikes for a while in the garage last year.
  • I found some of these at 2 for a pound at poundland:
    ZINHOOKE.jpg
    I store my bikes in an old coal bunker which is about 1 metre wide, the hooks are screwed directly into the concrete roof and I can get three in there hanging from the back wheels. You only need enough space to ensure the handlebars clear the frame of the next bike if you can stagger the hooks, but I guess in your case that'll mean two beams.
  • paulwood
    I like the screws, Screwfix do something that looks close. I think I will make a mock up to see how things will fit together.

The idea of the least used bike in the corner is a good one too.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I use the same red hooks screwed into a length of 3 by2 that is fastened to the garage roof. I alternate hanging front wheel
    up and back wheel up. There is space to put things on the floor under the bikes . The plastic coating on the hooks is not very durable so I wrapped several layers of duct tape over the plastic. Each bike is lock and chained to its neighbour. It all works fine in the minimum space.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I use those red hooks but take the back wheels off and hang by the rear triangle, rear wheel hangs from the same hook. Just means that have more working space under the bike.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    I use 7 of these in my garage - alternated heights, and chop and change between whether front or rear wheel - can get a lot in a small space.

prod10230_IMGSET?wid=500&hei=505
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    I've got some of those hooks. Screwfix do them pretty cheap.

One tip for calculating space, line all your bikes up on the floor upside down to see how many you can fit into as smaller space as possible.
  • paulwood
    I like the alternating front and rear wheel suggestions and measuring the bikes upside down is a good tip too.

Not all the bikes have a QR, single speed and kids bikes, so wheels off wouldn't work for all of them. Might try that for the ones by the door though.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    I found some of these at 2 for a pound at poundland:
    ZINHOOKE.jpg
    I store my bikes in an old coal bunker which is about 1 metre wide, the hooks are screwed directly into the concrete roof and I can get three in there hanging from the back wheels. You only need enough space to ensure the handlebars clear the frame of the next bike if you can stagger the hooks, but I guess in your case that'll mean two beams.

All my bikes hang from the screwfix version of these using M12 wall plugs in concrete blocks.
    If you have stud just fit 4x2 batten and screw em into that.

I did used some old road innertube cut up and slid over the hooks as the rubber started to break up

Mine are also staggered as said.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • Here's how ours are stored:

bikerack2.jpg

I was going to hang them all from hooks screwed into the ceiling joists, as I've done for the tandems, but my wife complained that she wouldn't be able to hang her bikes up herself if the hooks were that high, so I made up a frame to hang them a couple of feet lower, which she can reach. I also lined the top of the frame with ply to give myself an additional large storage shelf.

The hooks are just standard storage hooks I purchased from a local hardware store. The rubber padding on the hooks wasn't much, so I augmented it by cutting short lengths of garden hose, dipping the hose in boiling water to soften it, and pushing it onto the section of the hook that the wheels contact.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    That's a work of art Nick - fine work Sir - are you based in the US?
    Is that in a garage or something?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • paulwood
    Love the storage for three tandems. I've got quite a long wall so will try something along those lines
  • Daniel B wrote:
    That's a work of art Nick - fine work Sir - are you based in the US?
    Is that in a garage or something?
    Not the US, Australia. And it is our garage - the garage is five metres wide, so there's room to park a car alongside the hanging bikes.

It doesn't look nearly as neat now. That photo was taken just after we moved in...
  • paulwood
    So the job is done. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Went for a batten screwed through the ceiling into the rafters and then fitted with plastic covered hooks from Screwfix

And I bought an extra hook. There might now be space for N+1 in my life