Wheelset advice for new build

slc123
slc123 Posts: 407
edited November 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

After some advice from the more knowledgable.

I've undertaken my first winter build project from scratch and I am currently buying 2nd hand components for the majority. of the build.

Wheels are one of the areas I know nothing about really and what would be most suitable. The frame is a long HT with slack head angle and 150mm forks. Most of my riding is trails and technical single track with a bit of bike park downhill thrown in.

I've looked at a lot of wheelsets on pinkbike/ebay and just don't really know what I should be looking for. Ideally looking to spend £150 - £200, but open to a bit more if required. It is a pretty main part to the bike after all!

I currently run a budget Mavic wheelset on my current bike and they've been good as gold!

Any advice appreciated.
Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    What wheels in part depends on what tyre width you want and what you can get away with. 150mm travel to me indicates rocky technical terrain so I would personally go with a 35mm wide alloy rim with 30mm internal width. These will be nice and stiff. If buying second hand gets wheels where the hubs are wily serviceable and freehubs easily available. Also watch out for fuzzy logic builds. Some riders and wheel builders believe a low tension wheel is better for technical work downhill. They are wrong though. An improperly tensioned wheel will let you down.

Other than that you need to know your wheel size and axle standard.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    Thanks for the reply.

Any thoughts on these: https://www.tredz.co.uk/.DT-Swiss-E-190 ... IVt_D_BwE#

Not quite as wide as you've mentioned, but seem decent. I've found a couple second hand for sensible prices.
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    What wheels in part depends on what tyre width you want and what you can get away with. 150mm travel to me indicates rocky technical terrain so I would personally go with a 35mm wide alloy rim with 30mm internal width. These will be nice and stiff. If buying second hand gets wheels where the hubs are wily serviceable and freehubs easily available. Also watch out for fuzzy logic builds. Some riders and wheel builders believe a low tension wheel is better for technical work downhill. They are wrong though. An improperly tensioned wheel will let you down.

Other than that you need to know your wheel size and axle standard.

oh dear my 24.5mm ID rims are just no good - wide doesn't mean better particularly with tyre choice being so limited.