Tubeless Repair Tips

cgfw201
cgfw201 Posts: 674
edited December 2017 in Workshop
Got a new bike this week, which came tubeless ready but with tubes in to start with.

Rode to work and back on Tuesday, picked up a chunk of glass and got a flat, replaced tube and got home.

Switched over to tubeless (first time) on Weds night, found it surprisingly easy to get the bead on the rim and get them inflated and get the sealant in.

However, the sealant wouldn't fill the hole from the glass. It's around a 3mm cut and once they got above 30psi sealant would come flying out the hole and wouldnt' stop until it was back down to 20psi or so.

Last night I put a tubeless worm in the hole, and successfully inflated the tyre to 40psi (they are 42mm 650b tyres so 40psi is all I need). I thought I had it sorted, but this morning the tyre was back down to 10psi.

Any tips on next steps, I've got flexible superglue and inner tube patches, as well as more worms. Looks like a fairly straightforward hole in the tyre, can't see why the worm + sealant isn't enough to plug it.

Couple of pics below, left shows size of hole, right is with the worm in after riding round the block a couple of times.

Untitled.png
http upload image

Comments

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I haven't ever had to repair a tubeless tyre, so take this with a pinch of salt...

Have you tried reinflating it the morning after? When I first did my tubeless set up one of the tyres was mostly flat the next morning, but held air perfectly well after that (it had sealed while losing air overnight). Just wondering if your hole is now sealed?
  • cgfw201
    Graeme_S wrote:
    I haven't ever had to repair a tubeless tyre, so take this with a pinch of salt...

Have you tried reinflating it the morning after? When I first did my tubeless set up one of the tyres was mostly flat the next morning, but held air perfectly well after that (it had sealed while losing air overnight). Just wondering if your hole is now sealed?

yeh has gone down twice since putting plug in.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Bummer :(
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I've found using a regular tube repair patch on the inside of the tubeless tyre works fine. I've done it a couple of times, although perhaps not with a hole as large as the one in the image. Need to make sure the inner surface of the tyre is really clean and dry before gluing the patch on.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Bigger worms. The std thin worms can't fill a 3mm hole properly. You need 3mm thick worms.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cgfw201
    So I took the worm out, stuck a patch on the inside of the tyre and put some flexi superglue in there for good measure.

Pumped tyre up to 40psi and went out for 4hrs of cx yeseterday on every type of surface imaginable, and tyre was fine.

Got home, washed bike and left it to dry. When i brought it in 2 hours later, back tyre flat again! No idea.

Did learn yesterday that i would benefit from a few knobbles on my tyres so might just upgrade those and hope that sorts it.
  • I bought a Hutchinson road tubeless repair kit after reading a good review of it, and used it to repair a Schwalbe S-One that had a screw go through the tread area on an almost new tyre. The repair is still holding up well several months later.

The kit gives you four patches and some superglue that remains flexible after curing.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Which flexible super glue is everyone using?I’ve just been carrying gorilla superglue around with me, I didn’t realise there was a flexible glue
    Thanks
  • Which flexible super glue is everyone using?I’ve just been carrying gorilla superglue around with me, I didn’t realise there was a flexible glue
    Thanks
    It’s made by Loctite. It comes in gel format too so less messy.
  • lincolndave
    ATYapton wrote:
    Which flexible super glue is everyone using?I’ve just been carrying gorilla superglue around with me, I didn’t realise there was a flexible glue
    Thanks
    It’s made by Loctite. It comes in gel format too so less messy.

Thanks for that, cheers
  • Which flexible super glue is everyone using?I’ve just been carrying gorilla superglue around with me, I didn’t realise there was a flexible glue
    Thanks
    Look for Loctite superglue power flex.
  • lincolndave
    Nick Payne wrote:
    Thanks
    Look for Loctite superglue power flex.

Thanks Nick, I have ordered 3x 3gr tubes of the gel.
  • cgfw201
    Still getting air leakage overnight.

They stay pumped when riding, but 12 hours hanging up and they go flat as a pancake.

One thing I noticed yesterday, the tubeless tape is a bit wonky inside, as per the picture below. Noticed it when levering the tyre off to take a proper look at the rim, might have moved it with tyre levers.

HM6NyyO.png

Does this look normal/a reason for slow air leakage?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Is that tubeless tape. Tubeless tape is not normally black and is sticky. The leak will be trough the tape or from the valve hole. Remove the tape and fit new tubeless tape. Install the valve and make sure there is no tear at the valve hole and remount the tyre.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Looks like Bontrager plastic rim strip for Tubeless?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • cgfw201
    Is that tubeless tape. Tubeless tape is not normally black and is sticky. The leak will be trough the tape or from the valve hole. Remove the tape and fit new tubeless tape. Install the valve and make sure there is no tear at the valve hole and remount the tyre.

It's Mavic's tubeless tape specifically for these Crossmax 650b tyres.
    Good news is I put new tyres on last night, and they are still at 45psi this morning so must have been a tyre issue rather than a rim one.