Forum home Road cycling forum Campaign

Pinarello annoy female market with ad

davidofdavidof Posts: 2,368
edited November 2018 in Campaign
Ok it is a stereotype but if you look across Strava women are 10-20% slower compared to men on the K/Qoms. The other issue is if the ePinarello obeys EU regs then a 25km/h assisted top speed still won't cut it on the flats.

Screen-Shot-2017-11-20-at-5.20.39-PM.png

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/11/pinarel ... arello-ad/

Posts

  • mamba80mamba80 Posts: 5,086
    so fcuking what if woman are 10% slower on Strava? does it really matter and how slow are you compared to a top amateur or a pro? maybe you need an electric bike?
    this one reason why so few women cycle, what is this 24yo Emma? some sort of door mat?
  • It's an utterly ridiculous ad that belongs back in the 70's.

    How anyone at Pinarello thought it was in any way acceptable is beyond me.
  • 964cup964cup Posts: 1,359
    She should dump him and find a boyfriend who's considerate enough to ride to her pace. Or join a club, train hard, and then ride the selfish kn*b off her wheel.

    I have fond memories of trying to stay with the 18-24 women at the Worlds in Denmark. It was fun while it lasted. It didn't last very long.
  • joey54321joey54321 Posts: 1,297

    How anyone at Pinarello thought it was in any way acceptable is beyond me.


    Gets people talking? I think that bike has had more press than if they had just said "Look at our e bike". I think there is a very small intersection of people who would have bought one but won't because of the sexist nature of this advert. A calculated "censored up".

    I am definitely not saying it's ok btw!
  • Alex99Alex99 Posts: 1,436
    Leaving aside whether Emma and her boyfriend are real or not, this is a really odd advert. I'm even less likely to get one of these now. I was already about 1% likely to get one anyway. It would be like getting a Ferrari with a tow bar a Lamborghini estate. Totally ridiculous.
  • davidofdavidof Posts: 2,368
    Alex99 wrote:
    It would be like getting a Ferrari with a tow bar a Lamborghini estate. Totally ridiculous.

    My feeling too. If I wanted an eRacing bike I'd get some el-cheapo aluminium jobbie and sling a BFang underneath.

    Actually we have an ebike in the house, it is a 30 year old Muddy Fox courrier with a BFang underneath. It has various usages: work commuter, wife's cafe bike, shopper etc.
  • cld531ccld531c Posts: 517
    I cant see anyone paying £5k for one of them just to take up cycling with their censored boyfriend. Maybe if you had been into cycling for many years and would potentially have to give up the hills due to health problems but that clearly wasnt the line they were going down.

    I think this bit was even worse....
    “Nytro aims at a wide target, from the one that has no time to train but would never miss a weekend ride with friends, to women who would like to follow easily the men’s pace, or even the ones who desire to experience cycling as a new way of life, climbing easily and going downhill safely, enjoying every single minute on the bike.” Particularly given that with normal (non elite) riders its usually on the flat where men have the advantage (where the motor is of no use).
  • Alex99Alex99 Posts: 1,436
    To give them their dues, it is a fairly good looking bike:

    http://www.pinarello.com/en/bike-2018/e-bike/nytro

    Billed as having "seamless" assist for hills. The idea is OK I think. Just not sure it's going to be a success on a top end road bike. The Giant ones are more like it. Mid spec, alloy frame £1.5 ish.
  • imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,001
    Alex99 wrote:
    Leaving aside whether Emma and her boyfriend are real or not, this is a really odd advert. I'm even less likely to get one of these now. I was already about 1% likely to get one anyway. It would be like getting a Ferrari with a tow bar a Lamborghini estate. Totally ridiculous.

    At 24,I'd argue that Emma is still plenty young enough to improve her fitness to stay level with her BF, assuming her BF isn't a pro-tour rider. Whichever way you look at it, it's still unbelievably sexist though..
  • rolf_frolf_f Posts: 15,962
    Alex99 wrote:
    Leaving aside whether Emma and her boyfriend are real or not, this is a really odd advert. I'm even less likely to get one of these now. I was already about 1% likely to get one anyway. It would be like getting a Ferrari with a tow bar a Lamborghini estate. Totally ridiculous.

    So, because of this advert you are now not going to buy something you were never intending to buy?! I suspect the advertisers would take that as acceptable collateral damage!

    Very strange line to take these days though. Perhaps they realise it is a difficult sell. They'd do better targeting the blokes - eg "Want to be the next Cancellara" or "Want to bag that KOM you just could never quite get?"
    Faster than a tent.......
  • fat daddyfat daddy Posts: 2,632
    Alex99 wrote:
    I'm even less likely to get one of these now.

    :? how do you plan on keeping up with your boyfriend then ???? :mrgreen:
  • okgookgo Posts: 4,368
    Italy probably a little further behind here in the 'what you can do' marketing camp.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Alex99Alex99 Posts: 1,436
    Rolf F wrote:
    Alex99 wrote:
    Leaving aside whether Emma and her boyfriend are real or not, this is a really odd advert. I'm even less likely to get one of these now. I was already about 1% likely to get one anyway. It would be like getting a Ferrari with a tow bar a Lamborghini estate. Totally ridiculous.

    So, because of this advert you are now not going to buy something you were never intending to buy?! I suspect the advertisers would take that as acceptable collateral damage!

    Very strange line to take these days though. Perhaps they realise it is a difficult sell. They'd do better targeting the blokes - eg "Want to be the next Cancellara" or "Want to bag that KOM you just could never quite get?"

    It's a fair point. They probably don't care about me. I suppose the point I was trying to make, is that it pushed me in the wrong direction.
  • Alex99Alex99 Posts: 1,436
    fat daddy wrote:
    Alex99 wrote:
    I'm even less likely to get one of these now.

    :? how do you plan on keeping up with your boyfriend then ???? :mrgreen:

    I guess I'll have to think of something else if/when that challenge arises. Perhaps if my life goes that way, I'll go for a slow boyfriend.
  • rolf_frolf_f Posts: 15,962
    Alex99 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Alex99 wrote:
    Leaving aside whether Emma and her boyfriend are real or not, this is a really odd advert. I'm even less likely to get one of these now. I was already about 1% likely to get one anyway. It would be like getting a Ferrari with a tow bar a Lamborghini estate. Totally ridiculous.

    So, because of this advert you are now not going to buy something you were never intending to buy?! I suspect the advertisers would take that as acceptable collateral damage!

    Very strange line to take these days though. Perhaps they realise it is a difficult sell. They'd do better targeting the blokes - eg "Want to be the next Cancellara" or "Want to bag that KOM you just could never quite get?"

    It's a fair point. They probably don't care about me. I suppose the point I was trying to make, is that it pushed me in the wrong direction.

    More to the point probably is that had you been a potential customer for any of their (other) bikes then you might be less so now.

    Actually, the more you think about it the sillier the angle of this advert is. I wonder how many people of any sex would prefer to use a motor to keep up with their other half rather than make him (or her) wait for a few moments at the top.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • fat daddyfat daddy Posts: 2,632
    Alex99 wrote:

    I guess I'll have to think of something else if/when that challenge arises. Perhaps if my life goes that way, I'll go for a slow boyfriend.


    you do know he is going to want a pinarello to keep up with you .... basically there is no escaping the only way to ride with another person is for one of you to have an E-bike :?
  • Alex99Alex99 Posts: 1,436
    fat daddy wrote:
    Alex99 wrote:

    I guess I'll have to think of something else if/when that challenge arises. Perhaps if my life goes that way, I'll go for a slow boyfriend.


    you do know he is going to want a pinarello to keep up with you .... basically there is no escaping the only way to ride with another person is for one of you to have an E-bike :?

    It's a minefield alright. I don't want my chubby BF chasing me on a cheaters bike.

    The more I think about it, the more I think there is something fundamentally wrong with this "couples go cycling" idea. The only couples I ever see out cycling are over 70, on a hybrid or touring bike and going about 6 MPH. Good luck to them. But, does anyone else go cycling, at least in part, to get a little breathing space?
  • Welcome to 2017............viral marketing. They achieved the mission, exposure.

    How often do rappers and the like go get some petty crime charge to get some free press? Is it moral? No. Does it achieve the goal, yes.

    As for how "logical" the argument is.......it's not.

    Let's not fool ourselves, this is for rich French and Italian MEN wanting to go climb stuff they couldn't on their own but look all types of snazzy while doing so.

    Will it work even? It claims 250w-hr. So you get an extra 250w for an hour. So, 125 for 2 hrs or 60w for 4 hours.

    If I've got 50w on a person who weighs 50lb heavier........it won't help THAT much to be a Pinarello "racy" bike.

    I see this being used by people who can probably already make it on their own, but want to go out and crush it without doing the work.
  • DeVlaeminckDeVlaeminck Posts: 6,130
    964cup wrote:

    I have fond memories of trying to stay with the 18-24 women at the Worlds in Denmark. It was fun while it lasted. It didn't last very long.

    Yeah hotel security is pretty good over there.
    AFC Mercia women - sign for us
  • slowbikeslowbike Posts: 8,494
    Alex99 wrote:
    The more I think about it, the more I think there is something fundamentally wrong with this "couples go cycling" idea. The only couples I ever see out cycling are over 70, on a hybrid or touring bike and going about 6 MPH. Good luck to them. But, does anyone else go cycling, at least in part, to get a little breathing space?
    Er ...
    Ok then ... don't come anywhere near "here" - I ride out with my wife (when we can) and several others in the road club do likewise. As it happens - the wives are slower - not that it makes any difference - if we're riding as a couple or group - we ride as a couple or group - nobody gets left behind.

    Riding just with my wife is easy for me - I'm significantly faster than she is - and we're both well aware of that - so we make sure that I do the donkey work on the front - but not push the pace so she can't keep up. It's not that hard ... and actually - it makes for a pleasant ride - especially when we stop for coffee. It is a bit of a breathing space ... from our toddler!

    I really don't understand these "can't ride with other half because they're too quick" ... I can understand not wanting to hold up the other half - but there's a time & place for pushing the pace and a social ride isn't one of them (unless it's a club social ride and a few sprint off for the village sign of course!).

    Btw - we don't go a 6mph either ... unless it's up hill ... then we do.
  • keef66keef66 Posts: 13,286
    I've recently seen quite a few older couples out cycling together. Well I assume they are older; grey hair, glasses, beards. Same for the chaps. It's invariably mid-week when the weather's nice, so I suspect the lucky buggers have retired.

    Some of them manage to ride at exactly the same speed, because tandem innit?
  • haydenmhaydenm Posts: 2,868
    slowbike wrote:

    I really don't understand these "can't ride with other half because they're too quick" ... I can understand not wanting to hold up the other half - but there's a time & place for pushing the pace and a social ride isn't one of them (unless it's a club social ride and a few sprint off for the village sign of course!).

    Btw - we don't go a 6mph either ... unless it's up hill ... then we do.

    The problem is mine doesn't want to come with me because she thinks she holds me up and I wont enjoy it. Nice of her to think of me but I wouldn't ask if she wanted to come if I wanted to hammer it, as you say :roll:

    It doesn't change the fact that it is a sexist ad but I must admit, I would like the GF to come out for 100km rides in the hills but she just doesn't have the motivation to train or really the confidence (sadly, although I do try to help). An e-bike would help but once she had done it a few times I don't think it would be long before she wanted to do it on a proper bike without having to cheat. I'd thought about getting her an e-mtb as well, I'm happy to wait at the bottom of trails but then she can't be bothered to ride back up. A heavy e bike would hinder her skill downhill though I'd imagine. I'm not so sure patching over her lack of fitness is the best way to increase her confidence either. I need to try and take the pressure off her by riding in a group with other more confident women I think.

    They'd have done better to have aimed it at older or injured guys who want to ride with their faster adult children or whatever...
  • orraloonorraloon Posts: 6,938
    haydenm wrote:
    I need to try and take the pressure off her by riding in a group with other more confident women I think.
    Fun for you. Not sure that would help your GF much though. :D
  • She should come out with me, I'm one of the 10-20% of men that's slower than Women, I'd be quite happy to chase her.
  • I go riding with my neighbours two daughters...they kick my censored both on road and off....but they are twenty years younger :D:D:D:D:D:D
Sign In or Register to comment.