Rear mech snapped on Pinnacle 1 - what to do?

Quins
Quins Posts: 239
edited November 2017 in Road general
After spending the best part of an hour removing and putting back on a schwalbe marathon tyre I was looking forward to getting out for a short ride, it ended up way shorter than expected. Going up a hill the Sora rear mech snapped in half. It's on my old Pinnacle 1 (Evans own brand) that I use for commuting. What would you do? Replace it with an upgrade , don't want to spend a load on it... turn it into a single speed or fixed wheel?

Grateful for some advice.

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Do you mean the mech or the mech hanger?

If the mech has completely snapped then so long as the hanger isn't damaged/bent i would just replace it with another sora. Rear mechs aren't that expensive.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I agree with the above comment, you are unlikely to see a performance improvement by replacing the Sora rear mech with an 'upgrade'. You'll also probably end up spending more converting the bike to single speed. That said, if you want a single speed, this could be your chance.

Even if it is the mech that is snapped, I'd check the hanger is straight, if there is a problem there it might have led to the mech going?
  • Quins
    Quins Posts: 239
    Thanks guys, just googled it this morning a full rear mech is not as expensive as I thought.