Help with set up - tacx flow/laptop/garmin for newbie

tonysj
tonysj Posts: 391
Hi All.
I've posted that I'm getting my 1st trainer as ive never had a go on 1 Im a bit anxious on set up.
I've got a Garmin 1000 with cadence, speed and heart rate monitor.
Plan on using a laptop I have to view stats and footage.
I keep hearing that I will need either a USB 2 cable or ant+ dongle. Now that's the bit I'm confused about..
I can imagine why I need the dongle for the laptop to display the stats etc from the trainer but what goes where if I go for the USB 2 cable instead?
Sorry if it's straight forward but to be honest I'm diving into this blind as I've never even seen a turbo trainer 1st hand besides setting one up and using it.
Just want to get everything ordered that I may need for when I get my tacx flow on Wednesday 28th November. ....
Regards.
Tony.

Comments

• The idea of the USB cable is to isolate the ANT+ dongle from the computer and so you can place it closer to where the trainer transmits from as some people have had problems in mantaining a signal to the computer with the dongle plugged straight into it.

My own set up is a tiny pc placed under the telly with a short Anker USB3 hub between the pc and dongle. They're only 4 inches apart but I find that it's fine for maintaining a signal and haven't found the need for a longer cable being placed under the trainer.
  • tonysj
    The idea of the USB cable is to isolate the ANT+ dongle from the computer and so you can place it closer to where the trainer transmits from as some people have had problems in mantaining a signal to the computer with the dongle plugged straight into it.

My own set up is a tiny pc placed under the telly with a short Anker USB3 hub between the pc and dongle. They're only 4 inches apart but I find that it's fine for maintaining a signal and haven't found the need for a longer cable being placed under the trainer.

So I need both as the laptop will be at the front near handle bars and USB cable will go under bike to rear right next to smart trainer..
    Boy I had no idea on that lol.
    Will order a USB2 Sunni or similar as that seems a cheaper good one. 3 metre SUB 2 cable with male to female connectors also.
    Thanks Phillip.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I bought the usb cable cheaply off eBay. It was only a couple of quid. Not absolutely sure if I need it or not but for a couple of quid it seemed worth it.

Don't forget to get a fan or two.
  • tonysj
    cougie wrote:
    I bought the usb cable cheaply off eBay. It was only a couple of quid. Not absolutely sure if I need it or not but for a couple of quid it seemed worth it.

Don't forget to get a fan or two.

Thanks, I will get a USB cable ordered.
    I take it the dongle will be ok as long as it's ant+ and mentions garmin etc?
    Looking for a suitable big fan on the internet..
  • cougie
    Yes I think any ant+ dongle will do.
  • This is the dongle I bought and haven't had a problem with it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... =UTF8&th=1

There's also the mini version but I've no experience with them
  • cougie
    I've the short suntoo version. That works fine. As it was for the laptop it best for it not to stick out too far in case I broke it when moving the laptop about.