How many miles do yor tyres do?

1964johnr
1964johnr Posts: 179
edited November 2017 in Road general
My cheap £18 a pair Vittoria tyres do me for 2000 miles. My tyres which came with Mavik Aksium wheels from Ribble have just clocked up 3000 miles and now need changing. I'm wondering about going cheap again or paying a bit more to get more miles from them. Anyone got any views ?

Comments

• 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    3000km strikes me as a decent outcome. Hyper-voyagers and that kind of thing will go (potentially much) longer. Veloflex Record tubs last about 400km on the rear. I doubt it's got much to do with price; it will have everything to do with construction and compound. Grippier, lighter tyres last less distance.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    The Scwalbe Duranos that my mates and I use normally last between 4000 and 6000 miles.
    After 4000 you need to keep an eye on them because sometimes the tread can start to break up.

Of course there are always some that last nothing like that due to some incident or other.

If you look around you can get them for about £20.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    1964johnr wrote:
    My cheap £18 a pair Vittoria tyres do me for 2000 miles. My tyres which came with Mavik Aksium wheels from Ribble have just clocked up 3000 miles and now need changing. I'm wondering about going cheap again or paying a bit more to get more miles from them. Anyone got any views ?

The tyres that came with my Mavic Ksyriums in 2014 were dog shit. Had more punctures with them than any other tyre I’ve used.

I’ve got about 3-3500 miles on some Michelin Pro 4 Service Course and they’re about fit for the bin. Don’t necessarily pay more, but Hunt around for a bargain.
  • I'm lucky if I get more than 2,000 miles out of a tyre. The tyres wear ok but I usually end up with a large gash from a stone or similar, which is difficult to repair.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    My target mileage for my GP4Seasons is 3000 miles based on price of £32-£35 and approx. 1p/mile running cost. This isn't always the case though as I've swapped some out earlier cause of a series of punctures though I did make one tyre last close to 6000 miles by swapping it from rear to front after 8 months.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    MTB about 1000 miles - back tyre maybe less because of braking skids. Difficult to analyse tyre wear by miles travelled in my Airbus A380 but I am too rich to care.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • OP those distances sound pretty reasonable for a rear race tyre. A softer, grippier compound and less of it compared to a sports tyre is going to mean a shorter life, and spending more on race tyres does not guarantee more life. Plus, we don't know how that life is affected by your riding or when you consider when it needs replacing.

Using a more durable compound on a wider tyre with greater depth of rubber will get you more miles and neglible speed difference but potentially lower lateral grip, it depends how racey you feel you need to be over wanting better tyre life.

I use a cheap and cheerful 28mm Wiggle Lifeline tyre on the rear of my road bike and have done double the mileage of the 25mm Conti race tyre it replaced and there's still thousands of miles left in it. It doesn't offer all the lateral grip of the Conti in damp conditions but then I don't race much these days, and not this time of the year in the UK, so it's no big issue to me.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    around 2000 miles is where you'll notice the performance and puncture protection fall away a bit.
  • Just replaced my Vittoria Open Pave CG 28mm tyres after 4500 miles, it's a pity you don't get them anymore as they were really good. Replaced them with Pirelli Velo 4S 28mm.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    Front, I have a Schwalbe Ultremo Tubeless that has done around 10,000 km.
    On the back I generally get around 3,000km and that would be down to the canvas. The Ultremo on the back eventually started spurting sealant all over the place it was so worn. I've had an Schwalbe one and more recently an Equinox on the back after the Schwalbe stretched too much to reseat.

https://youtu.be/QSqWloOL8sY
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    7000km from the tubeless tyres I use (rear) on the heavy commutor bike, front who knows I am still trying to wear the buggers out. On my race bikes I would expect 10,000km from the rear tyre given the wear rate. I will probably damage it in that time though so who knows.

Tubs alot less but I have never worn one out. I always kill them with a big hole.

MTB tyres do big miles for me. I have a set of geax tubular MTB tyres with over 3000km on the rear. it is barley worn. I have killed two fronts of though.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Hard to know exactly, as fronts and rear wear differently, but I usually go through a couple of sets of tyres a year, so that's over 4000 miles. They're Vredesteins. Have to say, they're 'slow', but bombproof and last until you see the canvas appearing.
  • Bumo_b
    Bumo_b Posts: 211
    Anywhere between 3000-4000km on GPS 4000. My local Evans Cycles price match as all do so just under £30 is fine. Repair small cuts with superglue, slightly larger ones up to 5mm long with araldite (tends to be marginally softer,) plus place a patch on the inside and you are good to go. Any bigger cuts and its over for me and a new tyre!
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Bumo_b wrote:
    Anywhere between 3000-4000km on GPS 4000. My local Evans Cycles price match as all do so just under £30 is fine. Repair small cuts with superglue, slightly larger ones up to 5mm long with araldite (tends to be marginally softer,) plus place a patch on the inside and you are good to go. Any bigger cuts and its over for me and a new tyre!

I'd advise against superglue, It goes rock hard and acts like a sliver of flint working its way into and through the tube. Use a flexible adhesive like that used for wetsuits and the like.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • mcstumpy
    mcstumpy Posts: 298
    Just replaced my Vittoria Open Pave CG 28mm tyres after 4500 miles, it's a pity you don't get them anymore as they were really good. Replaced them with Pirelli Velo 4S 28mm.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-pave-c ... 1254200462 ?
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Paying more doesn't equal more miles.

Expensive tyres have higher tpi and roll better they aren't more durable. Usually they are less durable. If you want to get themost miles from the tyres but some heavy cheap tyres.
  • Bumo_b
    Bumo_b Posts: 211
    Never had a problem with superglue for tiny cuts but take your point on boats and never considered wetsuit glue. Would be far more pliable under load so can see how it would be more suitable.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    I reckon about 3-4,000km for my back conti gp4000s, probably 4-5 for the fronts, which is pretty good. I start to get flats well before the wear marks disappear though. I use them year round. Grip is more important than longevity.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I really struggle to see how some people get such low mileages from their tyres - unless they are binning them the moment the rear starts to square off? I am 77kgs and get 4-5000 miles on a rear and 7-8000 on a front (unless a major cut/sidewall issue occurs).
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • A lot of factors. I used to run Schwalbe One and Ultremo ZX in Germany and could get about 5000km out of them before they began to shoulder off and pick up too much damage. Come to the UK and they were destroyed in less than 1000km. I changed to GP4000 and I get about 4-5000km again on much rougher roads. I think some decrease in life if part bad roads directly and part having to run lower pressures to increase comfort on bumps and pot holed surfaces